MCCTs

General Bike chat
felix barrao

Re: MCCTs

Post by felix barrao »

OOOOk, i think I will have to change the CCT, works fine, but..

Wich one do you recommend? I have seen those in ebay.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Honda-VTR-1000- ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Honda-VTR1000-m ... %7Ciid%3A1

Any other?
Thanks
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

felix barrao wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 pm OOOOk, i think I will have to change the CCT, works fine, but..

Wich one do you recommend? I have seen those in ebay.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Honda-VTR-1000- ... %7Ciid%3A1

Any other?
Thanks
Either will be fine...

... but the second listing is for 1 not a pair, so a fair bit more expensive...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Yes, I noticed that the second is for one unit, but if is better, there is not a big difference..

Thanks
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Finally bought those.

Seems good quality. Anybody has tested them?
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I've had ones like that on my bike for the last 50,000 miles.

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39627
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Nice to know, thanks for the info and the link.
I liked too much the design of this tensioners compared with the " threaded bar" ones.
Did you add thread lock to the nut, or is enough with the serrated shape of the nut?
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

felix barrao wrote:Nice to know, thanks for the info and the link.
I liked too much the design of this tensioners compared with the " threaded bar" ones.
Did you add thread lock to the nut, or is enough with the serrated shape of the nut?
No problem. I didn't add thread lock, I just did them up 'real tight' as the Americans say.

I've not needed to adjust them once in 50,000 miles. I've done the valve clearances once in that time but they didn't need adjusting then and haven't since.

All I did do is the spot of nail varnish trick, one on the locknuts and one opposite on the tensioner body, so I can see if they start to loosen.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

I will do valve clearance when I change cct´s, there is a small clicking in the front cylinder when cold. Bought my VTR four months ago with 85000 km on the clock, ( OEM cct), and I don´t know about the bike history, ( i dodn´t know about the cct problem then..

Thanks for the reply.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

felix barrao wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:25 am Bought my VTR four months ago with 85000 km on the clock, ( OEM cct), and I don´t know about the bike history, ( i dodn´t know about the cct problem then..
And this makes me, as a new owner, wonder. Has there been a MAJOR problem with OEM CCTs, or has there been a possible over-reaction to a problem with one or two unmaintained bikes?

I come from the 70s when rattling cam chains were common on CB350s and the DOHC 450. Most problems then emanated from bikes whose maintenance was sadly lacking. As often occurs, a 'problem' is not recognised until it is too late.

Certainly not trying to rock the boat here, and offer utmost respect to those far more familiar with VTRs than I am myself. I just can't help thinking that Honda would not offer a product that was in some way 'flawed'. :thumbup:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

nigelrb wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 am
felix barrao wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:25 am Bought my VTR four months ago with 85000 km on the clock, ( OEM cct), and I don´t know about the bike history, ( i dodn´t know about the cct problem then..
And this makes me, as a new owner, wonder. Has there been a MAJOR problem with OEM CCTs, or has there been a possible over-reaction to a problem with one or two unmaintained bikes?

I come from the 70s when rattling cam chains were common on CB350s and the DOHC 450. Most problems then emanated from bikes whose maintenance was sadly lacking. As often occurs, a 'problem' is not recognised until it is too late.

Certainly not trying to rock the boat here, and offer utmost respect to those far more familiar with VTRs than I am myself. I just can't help thinking that Honda would not offer a product that was in some way 'flawed'. :thumbup:
You carry on with the OEM ones then. You can always access the guides on here for replacing bents valves etc when the front one goes pop. If you can't that a manufacturer would offer a sub standard product then doubtless you would ignore recalls from companies such as Toyota/BMW et al?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Storms were parts bin specials. The ACCTs were used on other iL4 bikes where they did not have such a hard time. They really should have done a redesign for the twin but they decided to go cheap instead.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

VTR CCT discussion thread from early this year - have a search as threads on auto CCTs crop about as often they fail ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41898
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Stratman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am
You carry on with the OEM ones then.
Well, must say I am surprised and concerned to receive such an aggressive response from a long-standing member. My post clearly and vividly questioned the 'history' of the purported CCT problems with no inference or criticism at all about the manual replacements to justify the response: 'You carry on with the OEM ones then.'

My posts on the subject clearly illustrate my receptiveness to installing manual CCTs. Only recently (2nd Sept) did I communicate with Ade about his product.
Wicky wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:18 pm VTR CCT discussion thread from early this year - have a search as threads on auto CCTs crop about as often they fail ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41898
Thanks for the link, Wicky. Read the lot and found it very informative.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

nigelrb wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm Well, must say I am surprised and concerned to receive such an aggressive response from a long-standing member.
I don't think it was intended to be aggressive. It's just that CCTs are a constant refrain on the forum and so many people seem to come on here having had a CCT failure. Almost without exception the first words of advice are to change the things (or do a stopper mod).

Plenty of people use aCCTs and have had no problems. But, a great number HAVE had problems. Me? I like the idea of using aCCTs and have them fitted but have also done the stopper mod. Mine are, as far as I know, the original ones and the 20 yo bike now has 26k miles on it so it's not a given that they will fail. They seem to be maddingly inconsistent with some failing after very little usage. There seems to be no common theme either.

Enjoy your bike. I also have a few others and ride the VTR less and less nowadays but, when I do, I'm reminded what a cracking tool it is,

Cheers
Ian
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's plenty on here, including me, that thought we'd get away with it.
Didn't.... I fitted new standard Honda ones, one failed 18 months later.
Two new valves fixed it.
Up to you whether you do or don't, but if you ask for advice it's usually given based on experience.
The point is, as you can see if you read up on the problem using the workshop knowledge base, that with most engine designs, they just rattle.
But on these engines, when the cct fails, the cam chain is loose enough to jump sprocket teeth and the piston meets the valves.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.