my new beastie

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

my new beastie

Post by haynesjones66 »

just picked my new V up from chepstow this morning and had a slightly hairy ride back home via abergavenny/brecon. great road normally, but a bit slippy in the rain! one thing become very clear. i am NOT a sports bike rider!! i havent ridden a bike with dropped bars since 1982 and my riding was clumsy and awkward in the bendy bits, but the bike is awesome, even in standard form. totally mental :biggrin

i have this little lot already. bars were cheap used ebay ultra lows but theyre in good nick

Wicky

Re: my new beastie

Post by Wicky »

Nice bin shot and the red un aint bad either! What you planned upgrade wise?

You coming to Op (rain)Storm Wales? viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41665
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

just flat bars for now. i want to explore its limits first so i can actually feel the springy forks and rear shock. i'm happy with the standard pipes but hi-level would be better for me as i stretched my legs a little by putting my legs behind the pegs on the way back, and i realised my boots were resting on the pipes! but i'm really chuffed with it. i'm 58, my knees/hips are knackered but it's the most fun bike i've ever ridden. and i havent ridden it on dry roads yet!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not ideal weather for picking up a new-to-you bike and having to ride it back in the rain. Glad you made it back in one piece :thumbup:
It looks a nice tidy bike, and in the best colour :wink:

Some will be pleased to see you got the wheelie bin in :thumbup:

I'm a couple of years older than you, so I think you'll like the Renthal flat bar conversion. I went down that route myself due to problems with my neck. I haven't missed the clip-ons :D
Here's the link for mine:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41099&p=447870

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

If you fit hi level pipes you will probably find your heels hit the link pipes as most of them get in the way, there are a few higher pipes that work better, do some research before spending out.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:48 pm If you fit hi level pipes you will probably find your heels hit the link pipes as most of them get in the way, there are a few higher pipes that work better, do some research before spending out.
A good point that :thumbup:

Chris.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i've had another wee trundle today and i've got into the habit of just resting the side of my boots on the outer end of the pegs, especially when filtering. does the job. i cant wait to change the bars though.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice fit looking storm :thumbup: . you can get lower pegs to fit them if your getting cramped legs but the bars will transform the bike.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

been out for a thrash again tonight and this bike is awesome! i'm getting used to the bars but i'm looking forward to changing to straights.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

flat bars on the storm work well with the bike, takes a few rides to get used to the change, but after that you are faster AND more comfortable than before.

I only changed a couple of years ago, but in hindsight I wish I had done it years ago, makes it a much better bike for 90% of the time and is still good enough on the track
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Clean looking Firestorm that.

Did the bars and riser come as a set? +1 for the high level pipe issue - you will catch your heels more.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

no, i bought the risers new and the bars secondhand on ebay. i've just had a quick trial fit and the clutch line is really tight on my bike. i'll take the fairing off tomorrow to see if it can be moved up a bit.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

haynesjones66 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:14 pm i've just had a quick trial fit and the clutch line is really tight on my bike. i'll take the fairing off tomorrow to see if it can be moved up a bit.
I had to make up a new bracket out of stiff galvanised wire to fit around that rubber grommet that the clutch hose goes through so I could raise the hose up when I did my flat bar conversion. I left the original wire holder there in place, just used the bolt to attach my new wire loop to the bikes frame. I may have also used a longer bolt to do this and a washer or two. The new wire loop sits just above the original one,

Chris.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

ok. i'll try that. i've seen somewhere on here about two separate brake lines instead of the splitter. how does that work?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just use a double length banjo at the MC and run one line to each caliper.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.