Recommend a mechanic in east london?

General Bike chat
Loo Kahs

Recommend a mechanic in east london?

Post by Loo Kahs »

Before going to someone I have had suggested to me, just wanted to ask whether any of the Londoners know or could recommend any mechanics in east london (canning town) ?

Bike is blowing blue smoke...
tony.mon

Re: Recommend a mechanic in east london?

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like the piston rings or valve stem seals.
Get a wet and dry compression test done, which will point you in the right direction.
But it might be cheaper and easier to pop in another engine.
No, I don't know a good local professional mechanic as I do my own engine work, but am not taking on any repair work at present.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:49 pm Sounds like the piston rings or valve stem seals.
Get a wet and dry compression test done, which will point you in the right direction.
But it might be cheaper and easier to pop in another engine.
No, I don't know a good local professional mechanic as I do my own engine work, but am not taking on any repair work at present.
Looked up prices for firestorm engines on ebay. Seem to be around £400/500 mark, plus postage.

Would you be able to give me a ballpark figure that a mechanic might charge for either fixing it, if it is piston rings/valve seals OR the mechanic putting an engine in?
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

It will be an expensive job either way, if the engine has to come out and mounting bolts are seized the price goes up even more, if an engine is £500 then your bill will probably go over £1k, if you have it repaired then there's every chance the bill will be similar or more.
You need to accurately value your bike and decide if it's worth spending that sort of money on it.

I take it you've check things like too much engine oil ?

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

popkat wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:23 pm It will be an expensive job either way, if the engine has to come out and mounting bolts are seized the price goes up even more, if an engine is £500 then your bill will probably go over £1k, if you have it repaired then there's every chance the bill will be similar or more.
You need to accurately value your bike and decide if it's worth spending that sort of money on it.

I take it you've check things like too much engine oil ?
There's not too much oil.

That was my worry whether 'is it worth it' as well. Thanks :think: urgh. sad.
popkat

Post by popkat »

How much oil is it using per 1000 miles ?
How many miles on the bike ?
If it's not too much then just run it until it gets too expensive on oil, then sell it as spares or repair

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

popkat wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:53 pm How much oil is it using per 1000 miles ?
How many miles on the bike ?
If it's not too much then just run it until it gets too expensive on oil, then sell it as spares or repair
The blue smoke is a new discovery as of yesterday. Ran it again today to check and it was spewing out blue smoke out of the exhausts. Thus, I haven't ridden the bike to see how much oil it's using up. The smoke and smell are pretty nasty and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone in the city to keep on going like that (I normally commute by bicycle unless ever felt lazy or just wanted some fun on the bike), so it's not essential that I run it.

The bike has about 52k miles.

What does one ask for breaking/repair sale?
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

22k shouldn't have that sort of problem,
A couple of options for you.

you put the wrong fuel in (diesel?) although if too much it will stop running.

Your fuel tap diaphragm is leaking and some fuel has got past the carb needle valves and settled on the pistons, the smoke would be it burning off.

I think you need to get the bike looked at as it sounds like there's a chance it's not as bad as it sounds.

Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

popkat wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 pm 22k shouldn't have that sort of problem,
A couple of options for you.

you put the wrong fuel in (diesel?) although if too much it will stop running.

Your fuel tap diaphragm is leaking and some fuel has got past the carb needle valves and settled on the pistons, the smoke would be it burning off.

I think you need to get the bike looked at as it sounds like there's a chance it's not as bad as it sounds.
It's got the right fuel in. Paranoia always makes me check 5 times before fueling up.

Yesterday when I started up (jump-leads as the battery's flat) I had some fuel leak and dribble on the ground (not entirely sure where from) and had the huge clouds of blue smoke.

Today when I started it (jump-leads again), there was no fuel dripping anywhere. However, still had the blue smoke. Perhaps not as much as before, although I could be making things up.

"settled on the pistons, the smoke would be it burning off."

Would this suggest that running the bike for longer and seeing whether it burns-off something I could do? With all that smoke (and the fact I was below people's windows), I didn't want to run it for too long in case it screwed anything up.
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

It sounds like fuel has got through, you need to check your engine oil level, if you have any doubt that it may be more full than it should you need to drain it all out, remove the filter and filler cap and if possible leave it a couple of days for any fuel to evaporate. In fact get the old oil out regardless, not worth chancing.
While waiting remove your carbs and clean them, pay particular attention to the needle valves, check for wear and clean the holders thoroughly, do one carb at a time as you don't want to mix up parts.
Look at your fuel tap, when you've removed the tank the tap will probably drip as the diaphragm must be gone to allow the fuel through to the carbs and in turn to the engine, buy and install an new fuel tap kit which will sort that part out.

As you said you had fuel leaking I think this is the cause of your troubles, if you do what I said above then your bike should be fine for many more miles yet, it may smoke for a couple of rides after but will clear and be back to normal soon. Don't short cut the fixes, do it right and it should all be fine

Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

popkat wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm It sounds like fuel has got through, you need to check your engine oil level, if you have any doubt that it may be more full than it should you need to drain it all out, remove the filter and filler cap and if possible leave it a couple of days for any fuel to evaporate. In fact get the old oil out regardless, not worth chancing.
While waiting remove your carbs and clean them, pay particular attention to the needle valves, check for wear and clean the holders thoroughly, do one carb at a time as you don't want to mix up parts.
Look at your fuel tap, when you've removed the tank the tap will probably drip as the diaphragm must be gone to allow the fuel through to the carbs and in turn to the engine, buy and install an new fuel tap kit which will sort that part out.

As you said you had fuel leaking I think this is the cause of your troubles, if you do what I said above then your bike should be fine for many more miles yet, it may smoke for a couple of rides after but will clear and be back to normal soon. Don't short cut the fixes, do it right and it should all be fine
It had a new oil full refill (at a mechanic) maybe 500 miles ago. Between then and now, it's been ok.

Looks like fuel tap kits are just over a tenner. I'll get one. I'll borrow a toolbox and try to give the carbs a clean somehow. Youtube to the rescue.

Thanks again
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

I know a handful of good mechanics in london, one or two out east. If your having any issues i can give you a hand, in SW
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

Martinz wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 pm I know a handful of good mechanics in london, one or two out east. If your having any issues i can give you a hand, in SW
Just got back home with the carburetors off the bike. I will try to clean the carbs/jets/check the fuel diaphragms another evening when I received the carb cleaner/compressed air.

Not sure what else I could check that isn't beyond my ability.