How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

General Bike chat
jchesshyre

How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

Post by jchesshyre »

I was reading this review https://onewheeldrive.net/2004/01/26/19 ... ke-review/ the other day which says this:

'The VTR’s weight distribution is one of the subtlest and most devious world population control schemes history is likely to see. The bench hard seat slides you into the tank, as the evil Honda engineers intended, to make up for the fact that the front wheel is only taking 53% of the distribution. You as a rider are there to optimize the equation, mainly by being sat forward and crushing your nether region’s dangly bits (if you have them) on hard stops, medium stops, and well just about any stop other than gentle and rolling. This bike apparently prefers riders of the bumpy-chested variety.'

Up until now I've been sort of trying to do the opposite, keeping my weight further back and not leaning too much on my wrists. But since reading the above I've tried sitting as far forward as possible, and the difference it makes to the handling is massive! I haven't ever quite felt as confident doing fast cornering on the Storm as I am with my CB500 which feels like you can just throw it all over the place, as I've felt the front never feels quite planted enough and doesn't give as much feedback as I'd like. But this has been totally changed by the different riding position. I'd never have expected it to make so much difference.

Anyone else found the same?

Last edited by jchesshyre on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
lloydie

Re: How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

Post by lloydie »

I used to rest my belly on the tank !!
Handled ok for me
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Haha yes that's exactly what I've been doing.

Don't know why I've been trying to sit on it like a cruiser or something.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I've felt the front never feels quite planted enough and doesn't give as much feedback as I'd like.
A very common problem... :oops:

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Can't help but rest me belly on the tank. :)
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jchesshyre, interesting read that, well found :thumbup:

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

What an odd article, the Firestorm has rear weight bias, mine has about 52% rear 48% front and that's with the forks dropped 8mm, rear shock spacer and slightly longer length on it. As standard I can't remember but the forks sit about 10mm more on sag and the shock doesn't have much static sag, I would imagine weight distribution would be about the same as mine. where they get 53% on the front I don't know, that's quite radical, think R6 or 675 Daytona. I've never called it a bench hard seat either, lol.. It's like they're talking about another bike :eh:

So keeping your weight forward would help as it's rear biased not front as they wrongly state

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

popkat wrote:What an odd article, the Firestorm has rear weight bias, mine has about 52% rear 48% front and that's with the forks dropped 8mm, rear shock spacer and slightly longer length on it. As standard I can't remember but the forks sit about 10mm more on sag and the shock doesn't have much static sag, I would imagine weight distribution would be about the same as mine. where they get 53% on the front I don't know, that's quite radical, think R6 or 675 Daytona. I've never called it a bench hard seat either, lol.. It's like they're talking about another bike :eh:

So keeping your weight forward would help as it's rear biased not front as they wrongly state

Maybe they meant 'the front is only taking the remainder from 53% of the distribution' Image

I must say I do agree a bit about the hardness of the seat but it doesn't bother me as I find it fine even on long journeys. There's definitely a slightly annoying tone to the article but it does also have some interesting info in.

I think since this is my first sports bike (other than a brief stint a couple of years ago with an NSR250 but that was way more crouched forward than the Storm) I hadn't realised how much better it is to lean forward properly. The CB that I'm used to is such a neutral handling bike that how you sit doesn't make a noticeable difference and I guess also I'm just not used to the crouch. It's so much more enjoyable to ride the Storm like that though.

I'm aware that to those of you who are totally used to riding sports bikes this post probably sounds a bit stupid, hahaha

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Body position makes a big difference on most sports bikes. Fore and aft and side to side.

Many people like flat bars on the Storm and they certainly ease the weight on your wrists. I just can't like them. They take away some of that "front endy" feeling I like so much.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 pm Body position makes a big difference on most sports bikes. Fore and aft and side to side.

Many people like flat bars on the Storm and they certainly ease the weight on your wrists. I just can't like them. They take away some of that "front endy" feeling I like so much.
You're right about body position making a big difference. I always notice how planted the bike feels when I exit the filling station with a full tank of petrol, the extra weight must put more weight over the front end,

Chris.
kawa

Post by kawa »

Any extra weight will make the bike feel different,(liquid in a top-heavy tank, try and put as little fuel as needed if you want to challenge another, as I do :) but can you tell me please, I filled up my 1997 model to the brim and the light came on after only 60 miles max, is this how I am supposed to live or can you in fact fit a 19ltr tank from a later model with ease, straight swap. I am afraid that if so few miles to the tank is the nature of the beast I am jumping ship, please forgive me I love the animal but I sure as hell don`t plan on being an Arabian slave!! (Islamophobia is real on this bike:))
I would like to introduce myself as a new owner of a 1997 19,000 mile beauty fitted with THE FOLLOWING:

Michelin pilot 3 NEW FRONT AND REAR, I have ridden in the wet as I am a seasoned rider of 31 yrs and I can truthfully say they were as good in the wet as the dry:)
An advisory front brake wear limit on the M.O.T(I have EBC HH BRAKE PADS ON ORDER)
The front and rear suspension is set to standard all round(I am only a 10.5 stone jockey:) 5ft 9 and really fit the bill.

I am used to RDLC 125/350/500YPVS, VT250, GPZ500, VFR400RR, CBR600f4 but I am a little concerned by the grabby clutch can anybody explain this, please, I realise you don`t have to rev this bike but the clutch seems a little harsh to me is there any advice.
Thank you all for your comments and I read your posts with a smile on my face and I truly respect any experience in the riding and Maintainance of this work of art.

Kind regards K
kawa

Post by kawa »

Any extra weight will make the bike feel different,(liquid in a top-heavy tank, try and put as little fuel as needed if you want to challenge another, as I do :) but can you tell me please, I filled up my 1997 model to the brim and the light came on after only 60 miles max, is this how I am supposed to live or can you in fact fit a 19ltr tank from a later model with ease, straight swap. I am afraid that if so few miles to the tank is the nature of the beast I am jumping ship, please forgive me I love the animal but I sure as hell don`t plan on being an Arabian slave!! (Islamophobia is real on this bike:))
I would like to introduce myself as a new owner of a 1997 19,000 mile beauty fitted with THE FOLLOWING:

Michelin pilot 3 NEW FRONT AND REAR, I have ridden in the wet as I am a seasoned rider of 31 yrs and I can truthfully say they were as good in the wet as the dry:)
An advisory front brake wear limit on the M.O.T(I have EBC HH BRAKE PADS ON ORDER)
The front and rear suspension is set to standard all round(I am only a 10.5 stone jockey:) 5ft 9 and really fit the bill.

I am used to RDLC 125/350/500YPVS, VT250, GPZ500, VFR400RR, CBR600f4 but I am a little concerned by the grabby clutch can anybody explain this, please, I realise you don`t have to rev this bike but the clutch seems a little harsh to me is there any advice.
Thank you all for your comments and I read your posts with a smile on my face and I truly respect any experience in the riding and Maintainance of this work of art.

Kind regards K
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

kawa wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 pm Any extra weight will make the bike feel different,(liquid in a top-heavy tank, try and put as little fuel as needed if you want to challenge another, as I do :) but can you tell me please, I filled up my 1997 model to the brim and the light came on after only 60 miles max, is this how I am supposed to live or can you in fact fit a 19ltr tank from a later model with ease, straight swap. I am afraid that if so few miles to the tank is the nature of the beast I am jumping ship, please forgive me I love the animal but I sure as hell don`t plan on being an Arabian slave!! (Islamophobia is real on this bike:))

Kind regards K
I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be on soon to help but i get around 90-100 miles before the light comes on on my 1998 firestorm. There is a thread on here with recommended suspension settings as standard has the front quite soft I believe.

I'm 14.5st and 5'11, my settings are 2.5 rings showing preload and 3/4 turn from fully in rebound on the front. Rear is preload 3 and around 1/2 turn rebound although I'm getting there I am still making small adjustments to find what works for me.

You could always try bleeding the clutch to see if it helps?
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

kawa wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 pm Any extra weight will make the bike feel different,(liquid in a top-heavy tank, try and put as little fuel as needed if you want to challenge another, as I do :) but can you tell me please, I filled up my 1997 model to the brim and the light came on after only 60 miles max, is this how I am supposed to live or can you in fact fit a 19ltr tank from a later model with ease, straight swap. I am afraid that if so few miles to the tank is the nature of the beast I am jumping ship, please forgive me I love the animal but I sure as hell don`t plan on being an Arabian slave!! (Islamophobia is real on this bike:))

Kind regards K
Suspension settings link -

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=25558
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Thanks for the suspension link bobbler. Something I will tinker with on the weekend!