How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

General Bike chat
Wicky

Re: How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

Post by Wicky »

60 miles per refill is not good as 80 is about as low as it gets with urban thrashing - when was the bike last serviced - air filter, plugs etc. ? Has the bike been 'tuned' ?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Got no bike to sit on.Mac's got it now.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you should expect 70 miles on trackday, 100+ on normal roads with "progressive" riding. this is normal for the small 16L tank
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

When I weighed mine it was the same as Popkat's, slightly more on the rear. It's set up the same too.

I've never had a problem with feeling that the front wasn't planted but then the forks have been sorted by Roger and are sprung for my weight. It's a great handling bike is the 'Storm.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:24 pm you should expect 70 miles on trackday, 100+ on normal roads with "progressive" riding. this is normal for the small 16L tank
Yep, just got 110 after my second fill. :)
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

nigelrb wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am
AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:24 pm you should expect 70 miles on trackday, 100+ on normal roads with "progressive" riding. this is normal for the small 16L tank
Yep, just got 110 after my second fill. :)
I've only filled up a couple of times as I'm rarely far from a fuel station when commuting. fill ups will usually give me around 95-100 miles which seems ok when you remember its only a 16l tank and a 1000cc engine. Around 35mpg for the grunt and noise is worth it in my book :D
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

bobbler wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 pm
I've only filled up a couple of times as I'm rarely far from a fuel station when commuting. fill ups will usually give me around 95-100 miles which seems ok when you remember its only a 16l tank and a 1000cc engine.
Yeah, fair enough.

I think what most of us are saying here that the VTR's economy is inconsistent with other 1000cc engines with a 16 ltr tank. My Blades will regularly return 150 miles before fuel light comes on. No major issue of course, but we can spin over 100 miles in a very short time! :) As a fellow member posted just recently, he filled twice in one day just for a Sunday ride.
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

nigelrb wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:22 am
bobbler wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 pm
I've only filled up a couple of times as I'm rarely far from a fuel station when commuting. fill ups will usually give me around 95-100 miles which seems ok when you remember its only a 16l tank and a 1000cc engine.
Yeah, fair enough.

I think what most of us are saying here that the VTR's economy is inconsistent with other 1000cc engines with a 16 ltr tank. My Blades will regularly return 150 miles before fuel light comes on. No major issue of course, but we can spin over 100 miles in a very short time! :) As a fellow member posted just recently, he filled twice in one day just for a Sunday ride.
I totally agree, if it was my only form of transport and had to be used for longer distances regularly I certainly wouldn't be owning one. My last bike was a 2005 600cc FZ6 which managed around 190 miles before the flashing light from a 19l tank but it was a different ride as you really have to work the gearbox to keep up with the other riders on group rides.

One of my friends rides a 2002 bandit 1200 which only gets around 130 miles to a 20l tank and at around 150 miles he is starting to panic 8O .
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Er, my thread seems to have got derailed from talking about seating position on the Firestorm and its effect on handling to another fuel economy discussion!

Just to add to it though, I understand that the fuel economy is worse than an equivalent Fireblade because twin-cylinder engines are inherently less efficient than four-cylinder ones, and also because carburettors are less efficient than FI (although the CBR900RR was carbed which I hadn't realised). These two factors combined mean we see 30-40 mpg instead of the 40-50 mpg that a more modern four-cylinder sports bike might.

Interesting though to look at these:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... _superhawk
32 to 66 mpg average

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr900rr
29 to 64 mpg average

Who the bloody hell is getting 50 let alone 60 mpg for either of these bikes!

If you browse through the list of years though the VTR tends to be high 30s or low 40s mpg whereas the CBR is generally mid 40s to low 50s. I would guess that this is entirely down to two vs four cylinders.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 pm Er, my thread seems to have got derailed from talking about seating position on the Firestorm and its effect on handling to another fuel economy discussion!
True. And partly my fault. :(

For me, as a 'new guy' (to both the forum and VTR) I latched on to this thread thinking I might uncover some startling insight into the dynamics of VTR ownership. I had already learnt that these bikes can only be photographed within site of a rubbish bin, so I deduced that there might be an element of 'rubbish' attached to a required seating position. :)

This, of course is very relevant to fuel economy, so the thread was destined to morph these two topics. So, if one is going touring on his/her VTR, loaded with luggage and seated in a upright position with upper torso above the screen, he/she is destined to suffer fuel economy more than the 5' 6" guy/girl crouched beneath the screen. :thumbup:

So, this thread has not necessarily 'derailed', it has merely picked up another passenger! :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can only agree.
It has already been proved, at a Forum meetup in Wales a few years ago, that bins slow a bike down.

It remains a matter of conjecture at this stage, but I feel that a connection can be drawn between the number, shape and size of bins attached to the bike and it's resultant fuel economy deficit.

I am equally sure that one of my more IT- savvy colleagues will shortly post the incriminating evidence.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Great for a family trip - wife in the left; mother-in-law in the right! :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

nigelrb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm Great for a family trip - wife in the left; mother-in-law in the right! :thumbup:
:lol: lets hope your wife or mother-in-law doesn't read that :wink: :D

Chris.
kawa

Post by kawa »

I will bleed the clutch as you suggested as this could indeed eliminate the problem or show me other things could be at fault 8O

Thank you :D