Damping adjustment

General Bike chat
Beef

Damping adjustment

Post by Beef »

Hi all,
Currently out playing on track, bike is loads better with the stiffer springs & 7.5 wt oil.

Quick question, how many turns from hard to sod should it be- I’m getting two turns that’s it?!
tony.mon

Re: Damping adjustment

Post by tony.mon »

Ah.
You need to take out the fork top and mount the damper rod further in to the top.
You will see that there is a threaded section and a lock nut, you have too much damper rod length protruding and so it bottoms out too soon.
It's a quick fix, easily done.
Ideally you only work on one leg at a time and build the one you're working on to the same length as the other one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Ah thanks Tony, is there any way to set up the rod when I have no other fork leg as a guide-should I turn the damper screw all the way in for example?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I don't think I've ever measured one, perhaps someone on here has one laying around they could measure?
But if not, I suggest you just screw your damper rod into the cap maybe 5mm more, and make sure they both have the same length.
That should get you a reasonable amount of adjustment.
Last edited by tony.mon on Mon May 21, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

My practice is to screw the adjuster in until the head of the nut is flush with the top of the cap, then screw that into the damper rod until the needle just bottoms out (gently), hold the cap in place then back off the adjuster a turn and tighten the locknut. This will mean that when the adjuster screw is flush with the cap, the needle is fully closed. Nearly all of the damping adjustment effect happens in the first 1 1/2 turns, after that there won't be much change.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks all for the comments - and thanks VTRDark for the PM, I'll let you know how I get on. Oulton park next month :D