Handlebar Risers

General Bike chat
curly

Handlebar Risers

Post by curly »

Hi all,
Benn thinking about bar risers for a while now, I found these on EBay. Anybody tried them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTR1000-Fire ... 2844349661

They look good to me and easy to fit.
I’d like to sit on a Storm with a bar conversion, does anybody with one live anywhere near me so I could try theirs?
I’m in Cleethorpes.
Thanks.
grumpyfrog

Re: Handlebar Risers

Post by grumpyfrog »

Mag@port has just fitted a set.
His death trap is in for it's MOT this week so I'm sure he will give us an update.
Unfortunately he's way, way up north so a try is about 10 hours away...
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

if you get across to yorkshire meet up next weekend you can have a sit on mine ... mmm... just looked on teh map and its not as close as I thought ... but it would be a nice 140mile ride
AMcQ
curly

Post by curly »

grumpyfrog wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:05 pm Mag@port has just fitted a set.
His death trap is in for it's MOT this week so I'm sure he will give us an update.
Unfortunately he's way, way up north so a try is about 10 hours away...
10 hours 8O
AMCQ46 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:06 pm if you get across to yorkshire meet up next weekend you can have a sit on mine ... mmm... just looked on teh map and its not as close as I thought ... but it would be a nice 140mile ride
I’ll see if I can make it. All depends on what the Wife has planned! I was in North Yorkshire this week right near where you’re all going, did the 3 Peaks challenge on Thursday. Didn’t go on my bike though. Would love to ride there, beautiful place.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

That's the risers I have, but in black. Buy direct as I did not pay 100 smackers for them, they are only £89. Good quality also.

https://trickbitzltd.co.uk/product/hond ... 8-onwards/

Get your extended front brake, clutch and normal length rear brake from Wezmoto it's good quality and prices.

@ grumpy, what do you mean death trap, it was when you dropped it off but not now :thumbup: . It's getting there nearly. May come on the Scottish leg of the Vtr meet up. See if I can get a pass first
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
curly

Post by curly »

mags@port wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 pm That's the risers I have, but in black. Buy direct as I did not pay 100 smackers for them, they are only £89. Good quality also.
Nice one, what bars did you get?
Did you have trim the fairing?
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

7/8 Renthal ultra low bars, yes you need to trim the fairings, but it's not hard and it looks fine. Look at my post " a few changes". But it's worth it for the comfort.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

mags@port wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 pm May come on the Scottish leg of the Vtr meet up. See if I can get a pass first
will be good to see you if you can get a pass out. there may be 1 or 2 beds spare in the bunkhouse, will know closer to the date
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

fairing cutting is a bit scary before you start, but its only in your head :lol:

you only take 1" max off the lower rear of the fairing lip to follow the existing curve form the std shape just below the Mirror mount.

my method was:
1) use a dremmel to do the cutting, but use 2 of the little thin cutting disks screwed together, just adds a bit of strength to stop it braking the disk. these make a super clean cut and don't melt the plastic of clog up.
2) put some masking tape on the lower lip on the fairing and mark the planned shape of the cut on one side.
3) Cut along the line with the dremmel.
4) I then used the cut off section as a template to draw the exact shape on the other side and then it is perfectly equal both sides
5) dress the cut surface and edges with a very fine file or drag the edge of a blade to de-burr.

then you sit back and have a beer
AMcQ
curly

Post by curly »

Thanks for the advice :D
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Cheers amc, hope to get a pass.

I also used 4inch sanding disc for your grinder, worked a treat.
curly

Post by curly »

If I used these bars would I still have to trim the fairing? Renthal supebike flat.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... -flat-bars
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Not sure, maybe someone has and will chip in. Only seen pictures with this type of bar and it looks like no or very small trimming needed. Also would the bars hit the tank being so low? More so the controls? Hopefully someone can definitely answer that.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

curly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 pm If I used these bars would I still have to trim the fairing? Renthal supebike flat.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... -flat-bars
I tried Superbike Flat bars (admittedly not Renthal bars) with the risers I'm using (you can see the risers I'm using in the link below), they wouldn't work as the fork legs were in the way of the master cylinders.

I ended up going for the Renthal Ultra Low handlebar conversion. I have added 3mm steering stops which means I didn't need to trim the fairing. I'm not sure how exactly that will work out with the risers you have, but have a read of how I did mine here:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41099

HTH,

Chris.