Temp gauge

General Bike chat
geoff996

Temp gauge

Post by geoff996 »

The temperature gauge goes round to the H after a few minutes running but the fan doesn't kick in. Anybody else had this problem
RIDE TO ENJOY
Wicky

Re: Temp gauge

Post by Wicky »

Perfectly normal - Fan usually only cuts in when it's hot summer, stop start traffic jammed up urban conditions.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

check the fuse for the fan just incase, mine was blown and I only found out one steam started to come out during city riding
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

geoff996 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:20 pm The temperature gauge goes round to the H after a few minutes running but the fan doesn't kick in. Anybody else had this problem
Put a live direct to the fan to see if it comes on to rule out the fan not working.

Has been known for stones to get in & stop the fan turning...with the bike off, stick a hand in a see if you can flick the fan blades, they should spin with little effort.

As Al said check the fuse...

After that I'd be checking the sender & the thermostat for faults.

Ignor what Wicky said as he didn't seem to have read your post correctly... :roll:

Yes they will run hot in traffic on a really hot day but the gauge wont shoot up to H as you discribe it...

Normal running temp should be just under the half way mark with it edging up if your in a lot of stop start traffic. Fan only normaly kicks in when it's well over 100*.

When I've had them running up on a stand to check the fan kicks in it can take anything up to 10 mins.

Let us know how you get on.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

My concern is not the fan BUT why does the gauge move round to the H very quickly with in 5 minutes of starting up ?
RIDE TO ENJOY
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thermostat stuck closed, meaning that the coolant isn't flowing through the radiators?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jchesshyre wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 pm Thermostat stuck closed, meaning that the coolant isn't flowing through the radiators?
or the coolant level has dropped..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Coolant level Ok thermostat must be stuck hopefully a quick tap or remove and clean
RIDE TO ENJOY
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

Or you could have what i had. Exactly those systems except i didnt have a tenp guage, just boiling water out of the over flow. Turns out the water pump impellor had snapped = no pumped water.

Take the radiator cap off when idiling and you should see te water flowing round when you snap the throttle
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I had the sort of reverse of this issue and it was the sender from the thermostat housing which was to blame - replaced it and the gauge works normally now.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

These are all viable causes, and because of this, and having spent many hours trying to track down a cooling system problem on my other bike (CB500) a while ago which turned out to be hardened, badly-sealing carburettor heater hoses (enough to let air in as the bike cooled but not enough to let fluid out!), I would highly recommend proceeding methodically, otherwise you may well find yourself going round in circles and never knowing what the issue really is.

The following list (from Haynes - sometimes they are OK!) may be of help, and I would suggest eliminating each cause beyond reasonable doubt before checking the next one:
  • Coolant level low? Check and add coolant.
  • Leak in cooling system? Check cooling system hoses and radiator for leaks and other damage. Repair or replace parts as necessary.*
  • Thermostat sticking open or closed? Check and replace.
  • Faulty cooling system pressure cap? Remove the cap and have it pressure tested.
  • Coolant passages clogged? Have the entire system drained and flushed, then refill with fresh coolant.
  • Water pump defective? Remove the pump and check the components.
  • Clogged radiator fins? Clean them by blowing compressed air through the fins from the back.
  • Cooling fan or fan switch fault?
*and as my experience showed, this means every single hose, in detail!
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Well all sorted I hope replaced complete thermostat housing,replaced coolant,replaced fan and finally just ordered a replacement fan switch. If it still over heat i'm stuffed, so finger crossed
RIDE TO ENJOY
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

All sorted after replacing thermostat, fan finally it was the thermostat fan switch replaced it with a Tourmax one :D
RIDE TO ENJOY
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Glad to hear it!
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:10 pm
jchesshyre wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 pm Thermostat stuck closed, meaning that the coolant isn't flowing through the radiators?
or the coolant level has dropped..
You get low readings if coolant level has dropped to below the sender
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training