Satnav

General Bike chat
Solarboy

Satnav

Post by Solarboy »

So I was thinking! Now I’m getting old and cant really remember the way to the toilet let alone finding my way to a part of the country un aided, I needed to find a way of securing my Garmin to the storm. As I, along with others will be making my way to GSV this year, I really did need to find a way of not ending up on the channel tunnel or something, although I’m sure the wife would like that..
I looked into some of the bike mounts and none of them really look that great so it was time for me to spend some time in the workshop and find a solution.
On the top yoke there is a small, maybe 20mm hollow pipe covered with a black cap. It looks like the frame mounting point to the yoke. This looked like the ideal location for said Nav so I set about a plan. One cork, 150mm M6 bolt, £5 nav holder for bits, two washers and two nuts later and hew presto. I removed the cap from the pipe, inserted the preassembled holder and tightened the top nut to compress the cork. This fixes the holder nice and tight with no movement.
ImageImage
I will just add some securing device to stop it from falling off should a spill occur and that should be that.
Just wondering if anyone else has come up with a way of securing a Sat nav or if you are all young enough to remember where it is you are headed?
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
VTRDark

Re: Satnav

Post by VTRDark »

Hey that's fantastic...a motorbike with inbuilt TV :lol: Actually that a good place for a sat nav and good way of fixing it, though personally I don't think I would have it sticking up so much and try to intergrate it more with the top yoke. It could even be put in a carbon frame with a little sun spoiler. Put a bearing around the mount instead of cork and it will swivel around with the yoke as you steer.
==============================Enter the Darkside
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

There is a professional version of what you have made from RAM. There not cheep for what they are, I'm liking that concept you came up with.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
podman

Post by podman »

Good stuff mate...some power may be useful , you get get cheap power leads(with a cigarette lighter type connection perhaps for your sat nav?)
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

podman wrote:Good stuff mate...some power may be useful , you get get cheap power leads(with a cigarette lighter type connection perhaps for your sat nav?)
Yea I have an adapter that fits to the optimate charging lead. When you disconnect the optimate you just plug in the adapter which I have plumbed up to the nav.
Just the fail safe for it falling off and Good to go.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

just don't impale yourself on it........ :lol:
I went down the route of buying my satnav setup, costs about £40 and you get the ram mount to fit the stem, and extender to raise the mounting position and give you the option the move it around for the best position (important when using a tank bag). and a waterproof case to put the satnav or phone in.
I didn't think that was a bad price for what I was getting. but each to there own of course.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lloydie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:04 am https://trucknavs.co.uk/shop/sat-navs/m ... e-sat-nav/
These are meant to be good .
I WAS GIFTED A NEW SATNAV BY A FRIEND RECENTLY, oops caps lock doh!!!
anyways, its an excelvan, comes with lots of accessories. it also Bluetooth, holds music and pics and so on. for an entry level satnav it can't be faulted, has all of Europe pre-loaded onto it. my mate saw a special offer price.....get this £8.80 per unit, he bought 4 of them, then realised what a bargain they were and decided he buy the rest on offer, something like another 100. but it the space of 10mins, they'd either all sold, or the advert was pulled as a mistake, but he still got his order of 4... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ny point is, even at the 80 quid which is now the approx. online price, they're still worth it imho.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Threaded bar cut to length , slid into the steering stem with a penny washer and a nylock nut on the bottom and one on the top .
Remove the clamp from this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0985060459 and drill a hole in the back plate .
Another penny washer either side and a nut on top to secure it job done and you can pop your phone or satnav in it .
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Got one of those on my Fazer FZ6 and works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
DazB

Post by DazB »

Love the cork idea, nice work.

Got me thinking on a mount for my phone now. :thumbup:
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

DazB wrote:Love the cork idea, nice work.

Well I like to do my bit. The cork was one of the rubberised ones so it didn’t break apart when it was drilled or compressed. Yellow tail Shiraz I think Image
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice one S/B :thumbup:

Chris.
DazB

Post by DazB »

Solarboy wrote:

Well I like to do my bit. The cork was one of the rubberised ones so it didn’t break apart when it was drilled or compressed. Yellow tail Shiraz I think Image
I had yellow tail last night Image

Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

DazB wrote:
Solarboy wrote:

I had yellow tail last night Image

Your half way there then....Image