Lithium Battery Charging / Maintainance

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Lithium Battery Charging / Maintainance

Post by VTRDark »

This one has got me stumped and I can't seem to find an answer on the web. Quick question: Can an Oxford Solariser charge a Lithium battery and is it safe? I'm thinking about getting a lithium battery but I need to learn the in's and out's on them before purchasing.
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Re: Lithium Battery Charging / Maintainance

Post by tony.mon »

It wouldn't need a topping up maintenance charge the way a lead based one does.
Unless you leave something draining the battery, such as an alarm.
Mine started the bike after three months standing over the winter without issues.

What's in there stays in there.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
budd

Post by budd »

Whether a charger is compatible with lithium batteries is down to it's charging specs, for lithium ion batteries the recommended charging amps is around 2amps (max 20amps for fast charging)and max charging voltage under 15volts, if your charger has these specs then it can be used, charging volts is very important, they must not under any circumstances be charged at more than 15volts or they can explode !! couldn't say for sure about the solariser, that's the trickle charger with the little solar panel that is used in sheds and outhouses with no power right ? you don't need to trickle charge LI batteries, just charge and leave as Tony says they don't lose charge like lead acid batteries so don't need to be trickle charged. All that said I think it would be wise to invest in a a lithium specific charger like Noco genius just to be safe when charging is required.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well that answers my question then. I did read about the voltage on chargers and wondered about my old Optimate but indeed it would be wise to invest in a charger designed for the purpose. 3 Months without draining...that's impressive. I bought a new cheapie gel battery last summer and it got left through the winter with too long a gap between charging. It's now flat and unrrecoverable so it's new battery time.
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I've run a lithium battery for over a year now. and it has run flat a couple of times, when not used for a month or so, I think it's due to the hiss system on the later model bikes.
both times it was flat, I jumped it from a car battery that wasn't connected to anything. funnily enough just today I disconnected both my battery and my mates Yuasa battery and I showed my friend the difference in weight, he was gob smacked. and iirc my battery has 280cca, a shed load more than his new Yuasa.
i'm am on the look out for a fair priced lithium battery charger tho... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's the intelligent charger's deep conditioning cycles that can damage a Li battery, not the charging itself.
And we know that the storm's standard charging circuit via the reg rec can output up to 15.5 volts.
But this doesn't seem to damage the Li battery at all.

I've flattened my Li battery a couple of times, and used a standard half wave rectified car charger to recharge it with no problems, but didn't leave it connected for more than the half hour or so to put some back in again.
I would worry if I was to rely on the charger deciding when the battery was full, and reducing the charge rate, as the sensing technology designed for lead acid might not function correctly on a Li battery.

So no overnight charging. But as said, it never needs it....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

VTRDark wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 am This one has got me stumped and I can't seem to find an answer on the web. Quick question: Can an Oxford Solariser charge a Lithium battery and is it safe? I'm thinking about getting a lithium battery but I need to learn the in's and out's on them before purchasing.
Short Answer. No
Oxford themselves say you shouldn't use it on a Lithium battery. As has been said. It has competely the wrong charging specs
they only output 10-100ma if I remember rightly so they aren't even good for a quick short charge to get you going.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Optimate Lithium 12 Volt 0.8 Amp Motorcycle Lithium Battery Charger, Maintainer and Conditioner (with SAE Connections)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281817469196
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
budd

Post by budd »

this is a one I've got, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-C ... 0677.m4598
although not had to use it :D
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
xeris

Post by xeris »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:22 am It's the intelligent charger's deep conditioning cycles that can damage a Li battery, not the charging itself.
And we know that the storm's standard charging circuit via the reg rec can output up to 15.5 volts.
But this doesn't seem to damage the Li battery at all
That's because a fully charged Li battery pack can take 16.8V.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain