front end clunk!

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: front end clunk!

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm No just straight WD40. I am of course aware of the claims made over the years about this damaging chains by either penetrating past the rings and dissolving the internal grease, or by causing the rings to swell, but I have not found this to be the case. My procedure is

1. Put bike on paddock stand.
2. Spray WD40 (from a pump bottle but an aerosol would be fine) onto chain on rear sprocket whilst rotating rear wheel, using riveted link to know when I've done the whole thing.
3. Brush back and sides of chain in one go with chain cleaning brush (one of the ones with bristles arranged as three sides of a square.
4. Brush inner run of chain with chain cleaning brush other end.
5. Spray more WD40 to clean further using step 2.
6. Start engine, put bike into sixth gear and add a few revs to fling the excess fluid and dirt off and make a nice streak of dirty WD40 on my back yard (having first double-checked that the bike is securely on the stand and that the rear wheel will not foul anything!).
7. Wipe chain with cloth.
8. Apply 90W gear oil using pump can on outside run of rear sprocket (yes this does allow it to reach the inside of the chain, and is far easier than applying it to the inside), using a tiny dribble on rings on one side, then the other, then on the rollers.
9. Wipe off excess with cloth.

This all takes me about five minutes.
Thank you for your detailed reply, it sounds like you have perfected that sequence by doing it all in 5 minutes :thumbup:

Chris.