anti-anodising!

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

anti-anodising!

Post by fatfreddy000 »

hi all,
the mission with my storm was always to get her mechanically sweet and not bother with the cosmetics too much to save money and also because i live in London and pretty things get nicked!
and she's very nearly there... the work has been been pretty extensive.
i am now doing a few cosmetic bits, its kind of crept in and crossed over from the mechanical neccessities in terms of extracting and replacing rotten bolts and fastners etc with nice bits of new stainless.
anyway, to the point.
I've been de-blinging her.. that is removing all functionless shiny garbage.
next bits to go are the horrid orange anodised fixtures here and there (just don't fit in with an already pretty gaudy colour scheme of black, purple and mauve)
namely pillon foot pegs, clutch and brake levers, bar ends, and a few other naff bits.
i'm just wondering if i can easily get the anodised coating off those parts and leave them looking like fresh aluminium without damage..
i was thinking of trying a sodium hydroxide solution and gentle scrubbing but would love to hear from anybody who has tried something like this.. also tips on polishing the aluminium would be appreciated.
cheers folk..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
freeridenick

Re: anti-anodising!

Post by freeridenick »

Yes there is. I'm pretty sure it was in Practical Sports Bike Magazine. :D

Unfortunately I can't remember a thing about it. :(
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well im not sure its an answer but storm discs are gold in the middle ,mine looked a tad grubby so i soaked them in the sink for about an hour using Harpic extra strong bleach, took them out and rinsed them and they are now silver lol.. it stripped the coating of no bother :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
podman

Post by podman »

Soda or aqua blasting these parts will achieve exactly what you want...

These guys will know what your after and down your neck of the woods I think.

http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/aqu ... -cleaning/
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

it works.
just transformed my pillon footpegs!

make up a solution of sodium hydroxide (watch your eyes)
drop in your anodised aluminium bits and bobs.
leave for half an hour stirring and agitating occasionally.
if necessary give a scrub with a washing up pad.
dunk in vinegar to neutralise the NaOh.
wash well in water.
your anodising will now be totally gone but your aluminium parts will be bright white!- this is aluminium oxide.
get a little rotary brass brush attachment for your drill or dremel and lightly buff off the oxide to reveal beautiful silver aluminium underneath..

i will post picks of all my gold and orange junk turned back to bare silver metal once complete!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm it works.

wash well in water.
your anodising will now be totally gone but your aluminium parts will be bright white!- this is aluminium oxide.
get a little rotary brass brush attachment for your drill or dremel and lightly buff off the oxide to reveal beautiful silver aluminium underneath..

i will post picks of all my gold and orange junk turned back to bare silver metal once complete!
Good work. you can do the same thing with Kitchen Cleaner !!

Post some pics up, will be good to see. Im going to perforoming the task with my rear sets soon !
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Martinz wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:22 pm
fatfreddy000 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm it works.

wash well in water.

Good work. you can do the same thing with Kitchen Cleaner !!

Post some pics up, will be good to see. Im going to perforoming the task with my rear sets soon !
heres a few photos.
i forgot to take any before and only started the photographing once he bits were in the NaOH solution.
I've also done the pillon footpads.
Attachments
20180410_161934.jpg
20180410_161923.jpg
20180409_161029.jpg
20180409_153657.jpg
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Looks much better than faded sun bleached anodised parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

OMG what's happened to that tank. :lol: Yeh faded anodised tat looks shite.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 am OMG what's happened to that tank. :lol: Yeh faded anodised tat looks shite.
Yep tell me about it.
The whole bike is covered in sections of mauve, purple and white spray brushed skulls.
Pretty grim.
Just can't warranty the cost of respecting or buying new bodywork, plus it keeps the theives thinking twice I reckon.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's one of the best security devices that money can buy :biggrin The funny thing is I don't think it would look all that bad if the Purple was Black and the White of the skulls had a light dusting of BLack over them so they are more of a shadow in the underlaying layer. But with that purple and as is stands it's like a Hevy Metal version of Pink Floyds Scarecrow :lol: I like how the the bottom of the speedo has been shaped to accomodate the Voltmeter. That's very neatly done.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Impressive stuff that reversing the anodising process :clap:

Chris.