Triumph Thruxton 1200 R Review

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Triumph Thruxton 1200 R Review

Post by VTRDark »

This is a fantastically entertaing and jolly good review of the Triumph Thruxton 1200 R. The guy sounds like he should be on Gogglebox and have glass of wine in his hand :lol: I love these bikes but for the price I feel they lack some finishing quality touches which is sad really considering the price of them. I'd love to have a go on one and I have the feeling the ride may make me overcome that and make up for it in other area's. Could I be convinced.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes ... 8/thruxton
==============================Enter the Darkside
cheekykev

Re: Triumph Thruxton 1200 R Review

Post by cheekykev »

I found listening to him quite amusing, made me chuckle a bit, to be honest he was spot on.
I've had a test ride on one and I was well impressed, I must admit the negative points he gave were something I spotted and gave me some concern, anyway back to the positive
I had it for about 3 hours, did motorway, narrow country lanes, and fast country roads, even took it on the Settle to Hawes run.
I was well impressed, unfortunately finances at the time put a block on it which in respect was a good thing because it made me sit back and think about it.
Having said that, it is now 7 months or so since i test rode one and it still sticks in my mind that it's the right bike for me, and will probably evetually get one.
It's a bit like ridding a modern up to date Firestorm if there was such a thing, better brakes, better suspension and handling, I think that's what got me hooked, basically it's like a sports twin rapped up like a retro plodder, if it's fun you want on the real world Brittish roads and not bothered about mega top speed then this fits the bill.
Make no mistake a good rider on a Thruxton R would take some catching by the big sports bikes on normal roads
No I don't work or advertise for Triumph, I'm just giving my honest opinion, if you love Firestorms then DO NOT TEST A THRUXTON R if you do you'll want one :D
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
VTRDark

Re: Triumph Thruxton 1200 R Review

Post by VTRDark »

It's funny how you mention the sticking in mind. I'm basically window shopping right now while I save. Another year and I might be up to the 10 grand mark which is my aim and then I want something new or next to new as I have never had a new bike. Going through a bit of a mid life crisis and see this as my last opporunity. Iv'e always liked the idea of the Thruxton, a great all round bike and not hard work on the body with the less sporty cramped riding position. As much as I don't want I need to take my leg and ankle into consideration. A good bike to do some touring on also accept the Thruxton's older style luggage is not the most pretty or most secure. Marty and myself saw one in the flesh a few years back parked outside Metropolis in Vauxhall and it made us stop and look. I liked the retro look and style of it back then.

I'm looking dreaming of owning all kinds right now from stupid to being sensible. Iv'e looked into RSV4's / Turono (hitting high on the list this one) 675r Daytona, 899 Panagali or Supersport. Last night I was dreaming of an 800cc MV Agusta F3 RC :lol: but I keep going back to the Thruxton. The Brutale is a contender too. I know what I don't want and I don't want to go Japanese and I don't want an IL4. Do I dare say it :roll: I even started looking at Harly's. If I took a Thruxton R for a ride I think I would be convinced and it's a bike like you say, a modern day Storm. I shall still keep the Storm as a second bike. Oh well, I shall keep looking, dreaming and watching all the vids and reading reviews. In the meantime the pennies are filling the pot.
==============================Enter the Darkside