Dunlop GPR-300 tyres

General Bike chat
jchesshyre

Dunlop GPR-300 tyres

Post by jchesshyre »

Anyone tried these? https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle/ ... 300.html#/

They come up as one of the tyres that Dunlop recommend for the Firestorm but are quite new so I can't find many reviews or discussions about them. They seem to be budget sport-touring tyres but don't sound like they'd be complete sh*t, although Dunlop do describe them as 'commuter' (although oddly on the US site they're described as 'sport' - don't know if they're actually a different formulation over there).

I had been using Michelin PR4s, but currently have Dunlop Qualifier IIs. I wanted something a bit cheaper and out of interest to try a sports tyre. The grip is great but I can see that they're not going to last long enough for my liking (was getting 7000 miles from a PR4). I can't really afford PR4s or similar new model tyres, and a pair of these GPR-300s can be had for £130!
fabiostar

Re: Dunlop GPR-300 tyres

Post by fabiostar »

£130 a set :eek2 . i think il be trying those at that price :thumbup: cant be that bad being a modern tyre?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

I don't want to get into a tyre war here, but just as a matter of interest for other members, l fancied a change last year and went for the Metzeler Sportec M7rr, maybe a bit over the top on a Firestorm for road use only, but thought I'd give them a go.
I am well impressed with them, wet or dry, yes you'll pay around £230 a pair, but I seem to be getting twice as much millage out of them than my previous Dunlop, so I'll leave the maths to you.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hmmm I was actually also considering some Metzelers, but the Roadtec Z6, as a pair of these is £140.

Basically my shortlist of cheap-but-not-because-they're-rubbish sports-touring tyres are:

Dunlop Sportmax GPR-300
Michelin Pilot Road 2
Metzeler Roadtec Z6
Bridgestone Battlax BT-021
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Out of those four the only one I've used was the BT-021. Fitted one to replace a worn BT-016 but it was severely lacking in grip. Thankfully didn't last too long (2700 miles on the rear) so was replaced with a BT-016 which lasted for 2400 miles before being replaced with another BT-016. I like Bridgestone BT-016s.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have run the mich PR2 on my bike then tried the PR3 and then the supersport version, and for the last 2 sets I went back to the PR2 as it works so well on the Storm.

I didn't feel I had any more dry grip with the Pilot Sport 2CT compared to the Pilot Road 2, but I couldn't trust the sport so much in the wet, so it was a no brainer to go back. I also thought the newer PR3 introduced a bit more front wheel movement with all the extra slots and cuts on it, so again I went back to the 2.

Done wet & dry trackdays on them and "progressive" A and B road work in dry and wet conditions with no problems.... and on top of that the 2 costs less than the PR3 and 4
AMcQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I was and still am very tempted to go with the PR2s, but a pair is £164 vs £130 for the Dunlop GPR-300s, and if the Dunlops aren't crap then I'm therefore tempted to go with them.

I should have put prices against that shortlist...here goes:

Dunlop GPR-300 £130 pair
Metzeler Z6 £142 pair
Bridgestone BT-021 £145 pair
Michelin PR2 £164

You see why I want to know about the GPR-300s...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 on Bridgestones

Also look for BF discounts today...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So according to Dunlop GPR 300 is a commuting tyre...

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle/ ... yom=2000#/

Seen them on the bay @ 119 ! but add fitting to that, natch...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Yes, although on the American Dunlop site and on some press releases it's described as a 'sport' or even 'hypersport' tyre (and as far as I can tell I think it is single compound) so I just don't know what to think! I would have said that 'commuting' and 'sport' are more or less opposite ends of the road tyre spectrum.

I wish their blurb was a bit more detailed and factual as well...

I am however tempted to try them and see, and if I do I will be sure to post some feedback on here :D
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well, I decided not to get these. I'm mainly put off by their being single-compound. I think they're actually budget sports tyres meant for smaller bikes, but are also marketed as 'commuting' tyres for something like the Firestorm (so people can't sue Dunlop when they come off when pushing on a bit on a more powerful bike?).

Instead, I went for the now cheap-ish Michelin PR2s (fitted this morning) and they feel excellent, although I haven't pushed them yet of course. It will be interesting to see how the mileage compares with the PR4s that I had before the the Dunlop Qualifier IIs I've just binned. I got 5,000 out of the QII rear (although it really was bald in the middle) and was getting 7,000 out of PR4s.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm Well, I decided not to get these. I'm mainly put off by their being single-compound. I think they're actually budget sports tyres meant for smaller bikes, but are also marketed as 'commuting' tyres for something like the Firestorm (so people can't sue Dunlop when they come off when pushing on a bit on a more powerful bike?).

Instead, I went for the now cheap-ish Michelin PR2s (fitted this morning) and they feel excellent, although I haven't pushed them yet of course. It will be interesting to see how the mileage compares with the PR4s that I had before the the Dunlop Qualifier IIs I've just binned. I got 5,000 out of the QII rear (although it really was bald in the middle) and was getting 7,000 out of PR4s.
Surprised you guys can still get Dunlop Q2s. It's been a few years since they were available here. For us its Q3s or Q3+ which both work very well if you need a sticky tire.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
budd

Post by budd »

8541Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:53 pm
jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm Well, I decided not to get these. I'm mainly put off by their being single-compound. I think they're actually budget sports tyres meant for smaller bikes, but are also marketed as 'commuting' tyres for something like the Firestorm (so people can't sue Dunlop when they come off when pushing on a bit on a more powerful bike?).

Surprised you guys can still get Dunlop Q2s. It's been a few years since they were available here. For us its Q3s or Q3+ which both work very well if you need a sticky tire.
The sticky Dunlop here (UK) is the d212 gp racer avaible in soft medium and endurance, on a par with supercorsa SC's grip wise but don't last as well as the pirelli s
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .