Suggest me a new bike

General Bike chat
KermitLeFrog

Suggest me a new bike

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm toying with the idea of going modern. Sell the R6 but keep the LC4 and Storm. I like the idea of abs and traction control and that crap. I'm now 65 and every 4 weeks a mysterious six hundred and twenty mumble quid magically arrives in my bank account. Don't know what to do with it.

Soooo. I need to do some test rides. All I can think of so far is a 1290 Superduke and an MT10. There must be a Honda along the same lines.

I'm even open to suggestions of an Aprilia, Suzuki or Kawasaki but.... NO Ducatis. Ooo, looks like I just remembered Triumphs. Luckily I've just gone and forgotten about them again.

Suggestions please!!!!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
cheekykev

Re: Suggest me a new bike

Post by cheekykev »

You're not really telling us what you intend using it for, but if it's just for fun try the BMW F800R and the Triumph Thruxton R, I had a test ride on both and was well impresed.
A few people I know who have the Yamaha MT09 are happy with it, my vote would be the Thruxton R, and I came very close to buying one.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have an MT10, I can't give you a full review as I've only done 150 miles on it, but I do know it needs the throttle mapping sorted and the fuel cut is not nice, worse in town than on the open road which is sort of ok but could be so much better.. I'm close to getting mine reflashed, there's a place not too far from you I think who have a good map by post. I'm sure after that it will be a great bike.. It is a bit of a mad bike, loads of low and midrange power not like your usual 4 cylinder bike, makes a GSXR1000 feel weak up to 8000rpm. handling seems very good, I have the SP version, some say the standard one is a bit soft but I test rode one and found it ok.. Lots of people fitting de cat pipes and lots of comments on them being very loud, I'm going to stick with the stock cat and wire open the exhaust valve so it's a bit more fruity, they do sound alright with the stock can..

I think with any of the latest bikes the fuel cut issue will be there due to emissions, some may be better than others but they will all have a bit of this feeling like you've hit the kill switch when you close the throttle.. I may just be being fussy I don't know but I don't like it, many others don't seem to have a problem though.

Can't see that Honda have any bike like an MT10 or KTM 1290

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Norton?
Or perhaps an Ariel?
Modern but with heritage - for the name, anyway
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I would also suggest the BMW S1000R, the one with flat bars, and even the Aprillia V4 Touno
AMcQ
AlanS

Post by AlanS »

The Ducati 2017 SuperSport has my eye.

Alan
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Wow, the Tuono looks interesting. Is there any feedback regards reliability?

I'm not interested in the Norton and Triumph stuff. I didn't like the parallel twins when they were "modern". The new ones seem more style than substance. I have a totally irrational dislike of BMW bikes so it's (so far) down to KTM 1290, MT10 and Tuono. Surely there's a Honda out there?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 am Wow, the Tuono looks interesting. Is there any feedback regards reliability?
one of the guys I ride with in Sardinia has got one and he has had no problems with it, you would have to look on the RSV form to see if there is any known issues.

and I have to say it sounds fecken awesome when he gets on the power out of all those hairpin bends, like a V8 car :D .. and that is with a stock pipe.
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've always liked the look of the Z1000, especially in black

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/01/k ... ifications
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

MV Agusta Brutale, new GSXR1000
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Stephan wrote:MV Agusta Brutale, new GSXR1000
Stopped at a triumph dealer today and looked at the speed triple R. Not too fugly. They were pushing me towards a thruxton but there's no way I'm interested in one of those. Anyway the speed triple is now on the shortlist. Will try and get a ride soon.

One attraction for the triumph was the finance. I can't really dump 12k down on a motor. So it's either a bank loan, PCP or dealer finance. With PCP you pay a lump up front and then rent the bike for 3 years for a fairly low monthly charge. Triumph are offering zero % finance. A lump up front then a slightly larger monthly payment. But after 4 years you own the bike. Seems a better deal.

Anyway. All pie in the sky until I start riding the boogers.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

thisImage
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

so comfy, goes well enough, great view of the road, and sounds amazing with a decent can.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

triumph is well priced for sure, but MV Agusta is not as expensive too. Personally I would look for new Kawa Z900, but this seems lower category than you hunt for :)