New bike with added BIN

General Bike chat
Wicky

New bike with added BIN

Post by Wicky »

Saw this on ebay and the bargain bin clinched it

Been looking for a Transalp type bike with VTR horsies and now getting the b8stard lovechild betwixt the two.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
popkat

Re: New bike with added BIN

Post by popkat »

Old tiger 955 :thumbup: good old bikes for little money. known for blowing stators and reg/rec. the reg/rec is a right pia to get too.. also have fun removing the tank if you need to any time, make sure it's low on fuel first :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes I'd looked at del boys video on utoob on the fun job removing the tank :eek2 Seems to be some special torx head sockets & bits are needed for maintenace on this bike - Only had one other non-Honda and that was many moons ago in the 80s .

Had a noice ride back down from sunny Staffordshire via Cannock Chase on it, about the same way as I came back on the Storm from the Brum Anniversary meet.

Peachy engine as grunty as the storm but in a (quieter!) smoother turbine type way. Brakes are not as grippy as the storm's :!: and a its a bulky old black thing but most importanly I can get both feet down which clinched it. Bit of wear on tear on the engine paint (bout where the starter motor on the storm is) - so will tidy that up and fit a fender xtender. Also on the way is a baglux tank cover & crash bars.

First problem is that the panniers don't seem to want to come off despite key fiddling - PO says he never took em off in the 6 months he's owned it. Off to the Triumph forums to find out if there's a secret knack or sumfink... edit. Fixed as there was a secret Indiana Jones Temple of Doom type puzzle to crack.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

My mistake, I miss-read your title.

Enjoy your new bike Wicky :thumbup:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looks real tidy for the year.
Nice find Wicky :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mattster

Post by mattster »

I've always liked the look of these... think it's due to one I used to see in Ayrshire that spent most of it's time on the back wheel :crazy: :clap: Hope you have fun with it! :)
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Nice bike Wicky.

I'd of thought you might of gone for a Varadero, an early carb one just waiting for VTR goodies.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:19 pm Nice bike Wicky.

I'd of thought you might of gone for a Varadero, an early carb one just waiting for VTR goodies.
And an in house tuning expert :lol:

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I kept an eye open on Varaderos esp 2003+ models on ebay but this came up quite a bit cheaper in comparison.

Still got the storm so you can't get rid of me easily :D

popkat

Post by popkat »

Wicky wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 pm Bit of wear on tear on the engine paint (bout where the starter motor on the storm is)

It's not paint it's powder coat, once it starts going the corrosion has got under it and it peels/falls away.. Best thing to do is flake off the loose stuff (hopefully there's not too much) then paint it in hammerite or similar, it won't look great but a lot better than more of it peeling off.

The coating was good for a new bike but they would have been better off painting the engine.

Another thing is the tank is plastic and will suffer from ethanol, it will have swollen over time and you can get bubbles in the paint due to the stuff. what will happen and has happened when the tanks swell is they get really difficult to put them back on as the bolt holes don't line up. Worst I've had to deal with for this is the 955 Sprint ST, before long the brackets will need cutting off and moving back slightly 8O

If you leave the bike standing for a length of time unused best to put super unleaded in as there's less or no ethanol in it, but won't be long before there is.. And when it all goes to E10 Plastic tanks will suffer even more.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Tidy looking mile muncher those big yokes :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: