Side stand concerns

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

Side stand concerns

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi all,
Been absolutely loving the vtr this last month since sorting the forks, headset, suspension linkages, tyres, regulator, brakes, gear shifter, tps, exhaust mountings, etc etc..
She's just phenomenal fun and after a lot of initial uncertainty I now feel very attached to her.. what a beast!
Anyway I digress..
One concern I have with her is the bloody side stand. The bike seems to lean far more than it needs, like the stand is too short, and the resulting angle puts a hell of a lot of stress on what looks to be a barely adequate peice of brittle looking metal..
I am expecting to come back to it any day on its side with a damaged fairing..
I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my stands setup or if other owners have also noticed the extreme lean and flexing of the stand?
I'm considering fitting something a bit beefier or maybe welding a little extensions on the bottom to try and resolve this.
Any thoughts?.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Wicky

Re: Side stand concerns

Post by Wicky »

I usually keep mine at home up on a paddock stand

When out about I carry a puck esp when ground is soft, heatwave temps with tarmac

Otherwise as fitted on my other bike

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The bike may have the spacer on rear suspension raising the ride height of the bike. A blackbird side stand fits and is a tried and tested remedy.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep CBR1000xx brackbird stand. Bolts straight on & is longer than the std one.

Only issue is the foot prong is a little stub making it very hard to locate with ya foot to put it down...

No prob if your handy with a welder...

It just so happens that I have a BB stand in stock. It's not modded so will need some sort of extension done to the prong.

The last one I did with a straight rod rather than the loop as above...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I really appreciate the qualities of my firestorm and everything else ... I love the V twin
motor , its real V twin sound and solid stable handling ...and comfort bearing all else ..I hate the
crappy side stand that HONDA have designed and built and fitted to this lovely motor cycle.... the
design team at HONDA ... got it all wrong ... so what can we ( I ) do ... agreement with all gone
before fitting extended lengths , mongrel parts etc //// but well I have a handy piece of hardwood
I take everywhere ..... and a large sibling piece if I am abandoning in field/ soft areas ... to support
the piece of metal known as a side stand on contact ... hey ho never let me down yet... bulges
in my jacket though ...ttfn :thumbup:
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Yip, purchase one of Frank's finest Blackbird stands from Macs stores..
I've not got round to getting the bar put on yet but manage fine with just the lug.

Storm stands are just crap, I've bent 2 in the past.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I have a CBR1000RR stand on mine, works a treat and adds 20 km/hr to the top speed.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yup, blackbird stand on mine too with a loop welded on so my boot can find it, bike sits much more upright now.

If you have fitted a shock spacer then the std side stand is a bit too short so this becomes a must have mod
AMcQ
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 pm Yep CBR1000xx brackbird stand. Bolts straight on & is longer than the std one.

Only issue is the foot prong is a little stub making it very hard to locate with ya foot to put it down...

It just so happens that I have a BB stand in stock. It's not modded so will need some sort of extension done to the prong.

Hi mate,
That looks like the perfect solution.
How much would you want for the BB stand.
Thanks,
Mat.
Last edited by fatfreddy000 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:19 pm
MacV2 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 pm Yep CBR1000xx brackbird stand. Bolts straight on & is longer than the std one.

Hi mate,
That looks like the perfect solution.
How much would you wan for he BB stand.
Thanks,
Mat.
PM'd Matt. :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I have seen bent stands when people have strapped them down in vans. Mine is jacked up. I welded a big nut on the stand pad to compensate