Another Storm

General Bike chat
cheekykev

Another Storm

Post by cheekykev »

Picked up another Firestorm last week, 2001, red, 15,000 miles, totally standard, unmolested, apart from a red screen.
My intentions are to modify it to suite me, bars, rear sets, brakes, forks, rear shock etc.
it appears to be in reasonable condition, although it has been stud in a garage unused for the last 7 years, and the guy who owned it for the last 14 years didn't really know how to look after it, looks like he just had it as a toy that he'd used for the first 7 years, then just left it sat in the garage for the next 7, the MOTs match that theory.
So all the usual stuff needs doing, CCTs, valve checks, Reg Rec, Forks etc etc
I've already found that the starter motor nut is corroded away, and more importantly, when I came to check and copper slip the exhaust studs, one of them snapped off :thumbdown:
It came with a red screen, a Datatool Duo immobiliser, and a Givi rack and top box, of which I wont be using and will most possibly be putting up for sale very soon, I'll offer them to the lads on the forum before I stick them on the usual places, so if any one is interested in any of them PM me.

Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Re: Another Storm

Post by MacV2 »

Very nice Kev... :thumbup:

Thats very clean, apart from the rear sprocket...

Red screen looks great...not... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm Thats very clean, apart from the rear sprocket...
Believe me Mac the sprocket wasn't the only thing, the whole bike was covered in crap and gunge, I took the picture after i gave it a wash down so I wont get get covered in crap while working on it.
Don't worry that's only a first quick wash down, the deep clean is next :lol:
Like what you do
Do what you like
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Tidy looking bike to start with and as you say hasnt been chopped up at all :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Looks a decent bike. Good work kev
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

nice bike kev, give it a good going over, i'm sure your on top of it, I can do you a forum deal on a refurbed starter motor if you need one buddy, just pm me for the details..... :thumbup:

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and the Thruxton?
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thruxton 1200R I hope. I love the look and reviews those bikes get. I wouldn't mind one myself but what puts me off is the quality of build for a new bike. I have read stories of things looking rather tatty after a while as the bikes become more weathered. It will be interesting to see how Triumph progress with these and the prices the current ones are after a few years of use.

Is the other Storm getting handed down to to one of your cheeky lads then Kev 8) They must be getting to that age now.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice find Kev :thumbup:

Chris.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 pm Thruxton 1200R I hope. I love the look and reviews those bikes get. I wouldn't mind one myself but what puts me off is the quality of build for a new bike. I have read stories of things looking rather tatty after a while as the bikes become more weathered. It will be interesting to see how Triumph progress with these and the prices the current ones are after a few years of use.

Is the other Storm getting handed down to to one of your cheeky lads then Kev 8) They must be getting to that age now.
No not handing one down, although cheekyads is 18 in December, doesn't time fly.
I had a test ride on a Thruxton R, did a 100 mile test ride around Yorkshire, I was well impressed, that much I damn near bought one, but the £12,200 price tag did put me off a little.
When I sat and thought about it, I just couldn't see the sense in having another nice high value bike when I've already got an SP2, and a BMW cafe racer which built myself.
That's why I ended up buying another Storm so I can mod it to suite me for a fraction of the price, plus I get the chance to put my own stamp on it, which I like to do.
At the end of the day a Thruxton R is just like another Thruxton R and not a lot you can do to it to personalise it because Triumph have already done what you can with it.
Having said that, I've got to admit the Thruxton R is a fantastic bike, well worth buying if you've got the money, and are fortunate enough to use it as and when, and have another bike for mile crunching.
Like what you do
Do what you like
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev, I think your right, it's a lot of cash for another bike that is for the same type of riding as at least 2 of your other bikes.... So a cheap project will give you far more enjoyment and a better bike at the end.

We all know it will be better than a factory build :thumbup:
AMcQ