RR failed today (as I was expecting)

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

RR failed today (as I was expecting)

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Just returned from little blast. RR finally gave out total after a history of overcharging for last few months (been riding with lights always on to keep volts below 14.5 as as possible but batteries has suffered).
The failure led to the main 30a fuse blowing and me rapidly decelerating to side of road.
I was looking lucky this happened on a straight and not accelerating out of a corner or something- the engine deceleration on these is pretty dreastic in lower gears!
Anyway, I foUnd a a discarded Chinese fol tea on the side of road and manages to bride acreoss main fus with this to get me home.. his has resulted in the RR to generator 3 pin to connector block melting- I hope not other damage.
Great was thinking of investing in a mosfet or something but as I keep saying this bike has been so neglected in the past it's swallowin money quicker than I can make it!
Hence I've just purchased a new 3 pin connector block kit (£2) and a cheapo chinese finned RR for £13 (although it does come with a 2 year warranty!) stupid price, probably stupid quality- I will thoroughly test on arrival and every month or so to see how it holds out..Was thinking that maybe the generator output, or RR output could be separately fused so that in the event of failure the man fuse don't blow and risk an accident or breakdown..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
alanfjones1411

Re: RR failed today (as I was expecting)

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You're not having a lot of luck with that bike.I have an in-line fuse on my r/r to battery.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN