Baffles - one in one out

General Bike chat
jchesshyre

Baffles - one in one out

Post by jchesshyre »

If I was going to try removing just one exhaust baffle (for a sound that was louder than both in but quieter than both out...duuuhh*), which one would it be best to remove? I know that might sound like a ridiculous question but I seem to remember reading that one silencer gets more exhaust at lower revs and the other at higher revs (when people have posted about 'why is my left silencer hotter than my right one at tickover?'), so it occurred to me that it could be good to leave the left one in for back-pressure at lower revs and take out the right one for more flow at higher revs.

Given how fussy these bikes are I don't feel I'm over-thinking this, but maybe I am...but if I'm not, would this be the right way round to do it?

*I also find the off-idle response becomes a bit fluffy if I take them both out.
fabiostar

Re: Baffles - one in one out

Post by fabiostar »

its a wee bit like saying will i see ok if i poke one eye out :D ..... it will mess all sorts up with the running i would guess.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Oops, duplicate post, see below
Last edited by tony.mon on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:11 am You might be onto something with that idea, if you haven't opened up the sticky-out section of pipe in the rh collector.

The left pipe takes most of the exhaust gas and the rh can less, so as you say the rh one may only come into play on wot so removing the baffle may assist.

You might also find that the baffled left can is the one passing most of the gas at noise check revs, so you will pass track noise limits easily, but it'll get louder when opened up, and the rh can starts to take some of the load.

If that IS the case, back pressure at lower revs (which is when you need it for torque) will be proportionally less affected than removing both.

Try it and see, it can't hurt....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

This was my thinking, kind of like having one short and one long velocity stack.

I haven't removed the RH header restriction - I've in the 'Honda knew what they were doing (except with CCTs)' camp.

It's still loud even with the left baffle left in - it almost seems louder than when they're both out, even at town speeds! The sound is AWESOME with both the stopped and unstopped tones present - my musical knowledge tells me that the baffle acts like the stopper in a chimney flute on an organ (http://www.organstops.org/r/rohrflote.html) in terms of the harmonics of the pipe, so there's a lot more sub-bass with the baffle out but having one of each sounds even better than having both unbaffled to my ears.

Anyway it's definitely running a lot better than it does with both of them out - the low-rev fuelling is still really nice - but I'm not quite sure yet if there's any top-end gain vs having both of them in (although it feels like there might be) and I'm also not sure I want the negative points with my neighbours that I fear I'll accrue even with just one baffle removed.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Sod the neighbours...Or do what I did & sell them a Storm...they cant complain then... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

my musical knowledge tells me that the baffle acts like the stopper in a chimney flute on an organ (http://www.organstops.org/r/rohrflote.html) in terms of the harmonics of the pipe
Are you a pipe organ tuner then. That is one highly skilled job :thumbup: either that or you are a member of the priesthood. :lol:

"Oh come all yeh faithful joyful and triumphant...."

Sound is one thing but you can't use sound to judge whether there are performance boosts and where. At this rate we will have to rename your bike Beethoven :biggrin
==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Haha not a tuner, just play the organ amongst other instruments (piano, drums, and HARPSICHORD).

Well, sound aside, I think the flow difference with one baffle in and one out is too much. After riding, the RH (unbaffled) exhaust was wayyy hotter than the left, whether I'd been pootling in town or out on the dual carriageway. In fact, after the latter the RH one was still much too hot to touch ten minutes after I switched the bike off while I could hold my hand against the LH one. This can't be good! So, I've put the baffle back in for now - mine (Fuel exhausts) are too loud with the baffles out other than for occasional laughs.

Well, that was an interesting experiment. As you were...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:19 pm Sod the neighbours...Or do what I did & sell them a Storm...they cant complain then... :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: