Straight bars

General Bike chat
Leelee6254

Straight bars

Post by Leelee6254 »

Hi I know this is an old topic but I need to know can I fit a straight bar with risers without cutting the fairing. Thanks
cheekykev

Re: Straight bars

Post by cheekykev »

I'm just about to enter that territory myself.
The feedback I'm getting is yes you can, I've just ordered mine, I should be fitting it some time later next week, I'll let you know how I go on :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

don't hold me too it, but i'm told sv650 bars are a good height, not as high as vfr bars, so no cutting of fairings, I've not tried it myself, it's only what I've heard... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Trimming is def required for high bars,
Small amount for low risers and
Kev will tell us next week about straight bars.
:thumbup:
Dremmel and a steady hand is all that's required, just take 1 sliver at a time.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv SV650 bars on mine and if you push them down onto the top yoke you can just get away without cutting..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I haven't trimmed my fairings yet, but you need the correct risers and bars. I used Renthal Ultra Low handlebars and I also reduced the steering lock by fitting 3mm steering stops on each side.

You can read all about it here:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41099&p=447870

Chris.
AMCQ46

Straight bars

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have ultra low bend bars sitting on 1" risers above the std yoke and needed to trim the fairing very subtly to fit... Just the area below the back edge of the screen, and only about 1/2"

When cutting the fairing I put duct tape over the part to cut and marked my planned line of trimming on one side, I then cut that part off and used it as a template to draw the matching line on the opposite side.

Best tool for the job is a dremel using the thin metal cutting disk, but as they are very fragile I found putting 2 together gave a perfect combination of strength and thin cut.

Takes a bit of courage to do the 1st cut, but after that is done and seeing how easy it is to do a good line with the dremel, you are very confident for the opposite sideImage
AMcQ
Leelee6254

Post by Leelee6254 »

Thanks to you all. Think I will go down the straight bar route over winter when she gets her strip n check.. does anybody do a full conversion kit or is anybody selling 1 second hand.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

You can get a yoke and risers from company called Top Yokes (cool and Comfy) they're based in Lancashire.
I've got some brand new Renthal flat bars I'm selling, never been used, I'll PM you details.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

heres 1" risers with yamaha 600 diversion bars. slight we trim on the ears part of the fairing.

the older i get,the faster i was :lol: