To Bim or not to Bim ?

General Bike chat
popkat

To Bim or not to Bim ?

Post by popkat »

Can't decode weather to get a Bimota :o

I have hardly used my GSXR1000 this year and I got thinking if I'm not using it much and it's depreciating why not get something that hopefully will appreciate.
Started looking for affordable classics and Bimota's seem to fit that bill, thinking at the moment about a YB11 (Picture please Wicky, if you wouldn't mind :wink: ) I did look at SP1/2 but they all seem to have high mileage and all seem to have something that needs doing.

I've found a couple of really low miles YB11's that are mint, enquired about one of them and he wanted £1000 and my GSXR, I can't afford to put anything to it though. maybe I need to negotiate more, we'll see.

Just thinking out loud really.

What you lot think of the YB11 ?

Another possible is the SB6R but no nice ones for sale at the moment.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
KermitLeFrog

Re: To Bim or not to Bim ?

Post by KermitLeFrog »

One of the prettiest Bimotas. Decent performer (by all accounts). Bullet-proof engine. What's not to like?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kermit summed it up there... you wont lose money and it will give you wood every time you look at it, whats not to like.
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Oh dear god,
My curiosity got the better of me as this exotica passed me by some how.

Oh yes please.....
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/tag/yb11/
The only catch with that “Yamaha reliability” thing could be actual access to the Yamaha parts on the YB11. That beam frame may be light and strong, but Bimota didn’t worry about things like “servicing” when they designed this beast, and other bikes they've built aren't easy to service: for the similar, Suzuki GSX-R1100-powered SB6R, you actually need to drop the engine to change the front sprocket. The clutch slave? Drop the engine. And the alternator drive on the SB6R tends to fail due to overheating. Guess what you have to do to work on that?
:eek2
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

popkat wrote:Just thinking out loud really.
Oh good, cause you know when you start talking about it you'll talk yourself out of it :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally I think they are a beautiful bit of exotica you can keep and not use (or do if the feeling takes you)
and not get bored of it either way :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Bimoto....mmmmmmmmmmm do it.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Pete.L wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm
popkat wrote:Just thinking out loud really.
Oh good, cause you know when you start talking about it you'll talk yourself out of it :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete.l

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your so right, or maybe not, or maybe ???? Oh I don't know :confused :lol:
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Wicky wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:37 pm

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/tag/yb11/
The only catch with that “Yamaha reliability” thing could be actual access to the Yamaha parts on the YB11. That beam frame may be light and strong, but Bimota didn’t worry about things like “servicing” when they designed this beast, and other bikes they've built aren't easy to service: for the similar, Suzuki GSX-R1100-powered SB6R, you actually need to drop the engine to change the front sprocket. The clutch slave? Drop the engine. And the alternator drive on the SB6R tends to fail due to overheating. Guess what you have to do to work on that?
:eek2

Thanks you, I hadn't seen that one..
I think the YB11 is easier to service, I've heard you can reach the plugs with midget digits, the SB6 looks fantastic but looks a pain to service.
Years ago I built up an SB2 for a friend, this was the first production Bimota. the frame bolted front to back about half way along the engine, the swingarm was coaxial and pivoted next to the gearbox sprocket. To do any maintenance on the engine or change a sprocket or clutch involved stripping the bike apart 8O

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Super sexy but this may suit you better 8O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bimota-YB4-Ra ... SwnK9ZV~W9
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

VTRDark wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 pm Super sexy but this may suit you better 8O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bimota-YB4-Ra ... SwnK9ZV~W9

That one looks nice but it's a way over priced race bike with no big name history, I think he'll be keeping it a while yet..

popkat

Post by popkat »

The answer for now at least is Not to Bim :(

Jumped on the FZ1 today and did 420 miles :o to go and look at a YB11. The dealer said on the phone "it's showroom fresh and like new" he said it came from a collector who probably bought it as the Bimota importers used to be near by.. Impressive stuff !, In the pictures it looked like new with only 1800 miles on the clock.

The chap I spoke to on the phone wasn't in today, no problem as the other chap who runs it was there. Had a good look at the bike and at first it did indeed look mint, well it kind of is. But noticed the fairing is pushed over on one side, looked at the fairing closer and there's some cracks and spidering where it's been pushed, the tank/seat unit is also pushed to one side and a small bit of paint chipped, I could smell stale fuel, I opened the fuel cap and it smells really off. The bike started and revved up ok but it needs the tank draining and cleaning, also I don't think it will run great for long and the carbs will need striping and cleaning. Tyres are 10 years old, they are not the originals and the rear was about half worn, with such low miles the originals were probably thrown away 10 years ago just as the ones on it now need to be binned.

Looked at the log book and it has 5 previous owners, not exactly a bike from a private collection then :roll:

I do think it's a great bike it's just it needs some work, carbs and tank not a problem for me but it takes time, tyres I can do but they still cost me (I don't get them much cheaper). the fairing bracket will probably straighten, the bodywork will hopefully re align, the chip could easily be touched up and not notice. The fairing side however needs repainting for the bike to be mint, this will cost £2-300 I would think as it needs to be done by a very good restoration painter, it's red and very hard to match if it's at all faded, anything on the inside has to be an invisible repair.. The bike could be used as is and still be ok but for their price it needs to be as described, I need it like that for the price too. I don't believe it's been crashed, I think it's fallen against something, probably when under a cover as there are no scuffs at all. Bimota bodywork is impossible to buy so it has to be good, this one could easily be mint and perfect but they want £8000. I see it as £6500-7000 which would mean they would need to give me money back if I traded the GSXR.. They won't do this so I won't ask, I'll just leave that one.
I think if I hang on to the GSXR until I'm 75 it should start appreciating by then :lol:

On plus side on the way up I picked up a 2nd hand Yamaha Comfort seat for the FZ1, put it on and it's only marginally better but looks nice too, the stock seat isn't too bad anyway :D

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

popkat wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:19 pm The answer for now at least is Not to Bim :(

Jumped on the FZ1 today and did 420 miles :o to go and look at a YB11. The dealer said on the phone "it's showroom fresh and like new" he said it came from a collector who probably bought it as the Bimota importers used to be near by.. Impressive stuff !, In the pictures it looked like new with only 1800 miles on the clock.

The chap I spoke to on the phone wasn't in today, no problem as the other chap who runs it was there. Had a good look at the bike and at first it did indeed look mint, well it kind of is. But noticed the fairing is pushed over on one side, looked at the fairing closer and there's some cracks and spidering where it's been pushed, the tank/seat unit is also pushed to one side and a small bit of paint chipped, I could smell stale fuel, I opened the fuel cap and it smells really off. The bike started and revved up ok but it needs the tank draining and cleaning, also I don't think it will run great for long and the carbs will need striping and cleaning. Tyres are 10 years old, they are not the originals and the rear was about half worn, with such low miles the originals were probably thrown away 10 years ago just as the ones on it now need to be binned.

Looked at the log book and it has 5 previous owners, not exactly a bike from a private collection then :roll:

I do think it's a great bike it's just it needs some work, carbs and tank not a problem for me but it takes time, tyres I can do but they still cost me (I don't get them much cheaper). the fairing bracket will probably straighten, the bodywork will hopefully re align, the chip could easily be touched up and not notice. The fairing side however needs repainting for the bike to be mint, this will cost £2-300 I would think as it needs to be done by a very good restoration painter, it's red and very hard to match if it's at all faded, anything on the inside has to be an invisible repair.. The bike could be used as is and still be ok but for their price it needs to be as described, I need it like that for the price too. I don't believe it's been crashed, I think it's fallen against something, probably when under a cover as there are no scuffs at all. Bimota bodywork is impossible to buy so it has to be good, this one could easily be mint and perfect but they want £8000. I see it as £6500-7000 which would mean they would need to give me money back if I traded the GSXR.. They won't do this so I won't ask, I'll just leave that one.
I think if I hang on to the GSXR until I'm 75 it should start appreciating by then :lol:

On plus side on the way up I picked up a 2nd hand Yamaha Comfort seat for the FZ1, put it on and it's only marginally better but looks nice too, the stock seat isn't too bad anyway :D

Do you think two years will be enough? :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
popkat

Post by popkat »

Kev L wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 pm
popkat wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:19 pm

if I hang on to the GSXR until I'm 75

Do you think two years will be enough? :lol:

:lol: :lol: If that's the case do you think you still ought to riding at 90, think of the other road users :lol:

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF