Firestorm odd noise?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Firestorm odd noise?

Post by sirch345 »

As some of you will already know, I have been hearing an unusual noise from my Storm. This sound can only be heard on the overrun, not when the throttle is being opened.

Any suggestions or ideas to what this noise may be could be very helpful.

You can listen to this noise here (you can hear it first of all at approx 22 seconds in):-

Cheers,

Chris.
VTRDark

Re: Firestorm odd noise?

Post by VTRDark »

Mmmm now that is an interestingly odd sound. Reminds me of a woodpecker :lol: It's such high pitch that it's like a carb slide bounce noise but would that be heard on the overun more :think: or even a loose panel flapping somewhere. And you don't get this while stationary. What about under braking. I take it everything feels good up front.
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

Too hard to tell what it is from the sound clip, I think you'll get a lot of speculation.. I can hear it but it is an odd noise, could be an air leak somewhere ? could be anything really.. If you get really stuck ride up to my work and I'll have a listen and see if we can find the cause.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's happening on one cylinder only, about the time that max vacuum builds up.
Questions:
1, is it an early or late one?
Early one it could be a fuel tap problem, later one it could be a problem on the late model air recycling gubbins.
2, has, by any chance, it got the california reed valve nonsense on top of the valve covers? One of those could be loose/malfunctioning
3, check the vac lines.
4, check coolant level in the overflow tank and in the rh rad.
5, check the alternator isn't loose, the woodruff key is in place and in good condition
6, check the clutch basket isn't loose, and the scissor gear is tight on the primary drive.

7, swap engine
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And good luck!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Nah thats your loose change rattling in your pockets... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

number 7.. clutch basket rivets starting to let go?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

My bike makes some weird noises and now after 5 years I am used to them.

Is the breather hose from the front cylinder to the airbox fitted properly ? Also check the rear one and also make sure the TPS wiring is plugged in .

Sounds mighty strange !

Good luck
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 pm Mmmm now that is an interestingly odd sound. Reminds me of a woodpecker :lol: It's such high pitch that it's like a carb slide bounce noise but would that be heard on the overun more :think: or even a loose panel flapping somewhere. And you don't get this while stationary. What about under braking. I take it everything feels good up front.
:lol: I like the woodpecker bit, that had not crossed my mind, but now you mention it I can see what you mean Carl.

Everything has been going through my mind, what on earth could it be, I even had one thought of "did I leave a tool on top of the engine very recently when I was doing the valve clearances".
It only makes this noise though when the engine is fully warmed up as in out on the road, so it did not ought to be something I left on the engine :)

No I can't get it to make this make this noise when the bike is stationary. Yes you can still hear it on the overrun when braking. Everything up front feels good, and the bike seems to be going just as good as normal so far.

Also I don't think the noise is coming from the front end, the reason being is, when I tried to record this noise with my mini MUVI video camera, with it attached to the front brake m/cylinder reservoir it didn't pick it up. It was picked up with my mobile phone in the tank bag, tank bag on top of the fuel tank which is obviously further back than the MUVI cam was, and over the engine.
popkat wrote:Too hard to tell what it is from the sound clip, I think you'll get a lot of speculation.. I can hear it but it is an odd noise, could be an air leak somewhere ? could be anything really.. If you get really stuck ride up to my work and I'll have a listen and see if we can find the cause.

Yeah I know what you mean about sounds over the net, not the same as hearing them first hand.

I appreciate your offer of having a listen if needed Malc thank you :thumbup:
tony.mon wrote:And good luck!
Thanks Tony, I think I might need it :)
MacV2 wrote:Nah thats your loose change rattling in your pockets... :thumbup:
:lol: :lol:
fabiostar wrote:number 7.. clutch basket rivets starting to let go?
That's a thought :thumbup:
kenmoore wrote:My bike makes some weird noises and now after 5 years I am used to them.

Is the breather hose from the front cylinder to the airbox fitted properly ? Also check the rear one and also make sure the TPS wiring is plugged in .

Sounds mighty strange !

Good luck
I will be checking all of these things again, but I appreciate your thoughts and good luck wishes :thumbup:

Many thanks for all your replies guy's very much appreciated :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm That's happening on one cylinder only, about the time that max vacuum builds up.
Questions:
1, is it an early or late one? It's an early one (1999)
Early one it could be a fuel tap problem, later one it could be a problem on the late model air recycling gubbins. I'll check that out.
2, has, by any chance, it got the california reed valve nonsense on top of the valve covers? One of those could be loose/malfunctioning. No none of that on my model was ever fitted.
3, check the vac lines. Will do.
4, check coolant level in the overflow tank and in the rh rad. Will do.
5, check the alternator isn't loose, the woodruff key is in place and in good condition. I'll bear that in mind.
6, check the clutch basket isn't loose, and the scissor gear is tight on the primary drive. What's the scissor gear :?: **EDIT I've had a look at the Honda Shop manual, I can see what is referred to as the scissor gear now.
It looks like I should be able to remove the clutch basket without disturbing the scissor gear :?: **
I will check both of those

7, swap engine. I hope not.
I've replied in Blue to your questions Tony,

Cheers,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Can someone who has done a clutch inspection overhaul please give me the heads-up on the questions below :?:

(1) Obviously a clutch cover gasket will be needed, does this need to be a genuine part or are some after-market ones good enough :?:

(2) I'm guessing I will need to drain down the rads and cylinder blocks before removing the clutch cover with water pump attached?

(3) Does the engine oil need draining down before I start :?: or is it possible to lean the bike over enough so it doesn't come out :?:

(4) Do I need to replace the clutch centre nut and or locking device :?:

(5) Is there anything else I have missed :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i don't think i used genuine clutch gasket, and if you put a thin film of grease on one side of the gasket, it will always separate on that face and allow you to reuse without tearing.

I just let the water drain out of the water pump hoses and put it back in afterwards

on the side stand the oil will not sill out when the cover is off

clutch ctr nut is just punch staked into a groove on the shaft, I reused it and punched it again

you will need a clutch holding tool to get the ctr nut off
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 pm i don't think i used genuine clutch gasket, and if you put a thin film of grease on one side of the gasket, it will always separate on that face and allow you to reuse without tearing.

I just let the water drain out of the water pump hoses and put it back in afterwards

on the side stand the oil will not sill out when the cover is off

clutch ctr nut is just punch staked into a groove on the shaft, I reused it and punched it again

you will need a clutch holding tool to get the ctr nut off
Thanks for that Al, just what I needed :D

As for a clutch holding tool, I will probably make one, unless a new one is not over priced.

M&P are selling clutch gaskets under £10, D/S genuine Honda ones are near £28,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv used m&p on mine and they are grand..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Clutch Basket Holding Tool

£30 for a Paper gasket :crazy: Pattern parts are good enough. It's only paper with a rubber seal built into it around the water pump area. Use a 6pt socket on the heads of the clutch casing bolts as they round off easily. They vary in length too so have a system where you can keep the order they go back in. Don't overtighten the bolts that hold the clutch springs in place as they do snap, I've had it happen, and use threadlock. If your not going to use any gasket sealant and use a slither of grease as Al suggests :thumbup: make sure the mating surfaces are smooth and clean. Oh and plug the holes at the bottom under the clutch basket with some rag as you don't want to drop anything inside the engine into the sump.

It's all pretty straight forward really. The hardest part is that centre bolt but the right tool for the job makes easy work of it.
==============================Enter the Darkside