Sprocket Cover Removal

General Bike chat
davebonline

Sprocket Cover Removal

Post by davebonline »

Hi

I'd like to remove my sprocket cover in order to clean out all the gunk and give the clutch actuation rod a clean, so I'm wondering whether I need to remove the slave cover and what to do regarding the clutch lever itself.

I've looked on the forum and there seems to be conflicting opions regarding this - when you want to remove the sprocket cover should you have your clutch lever held in the depressed position (up against the bar grip) or just left open?

thanks
fabiostar

Re: Sprocket Cover Removal

Post by fabiostar »

dead easy. just leave the slave in place and remove the spkt cover and it as one unit and before you do cable tie the lever to the bars.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as rob said, make sure you tie back the clutch lever, I will also say the front sprocket cover can be an butt to refit, but theres a certain sequence of putting the bolts back in which makes it easier, be buggered if I can remember tho, I think its best to start with one of the bolts in the middle that draws it in and then fit the rest.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Conflicting advice coming....Stand by....

Remove the lever. You don't want any pressure on the slave as it will push it out thus allowing air into the system.

Tying it back will put full pressure on it, leaving it in place will have a slight amount of pressure on the slave, so just take the lever off.

As for the unbolting, the slave is held on to the cover with 3 bolts, only 1 of those also goes into the crank case...IIRC it's the bottom left one is the one to come out...The other bolts holding the cover on are different lenghts so just take them out & lay them on the floor in the pattern they come out.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

Thanks everyone. So some say cable tie lever back and Mac says remove lever altogether?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebonline wrote:Thanks everyone. So some say cable tie lever back and Mac says remove lever altogether?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Works for me... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Dave, I'm with Mac, remove the clutch lever altogether. As Mac points out, you don't want any pressure being applied to the clutch slave cylinder which you will have if you don't remove it.

In my mind the confusion comes in when peeps say tie the lever back. What they mean is not against the handlebar, but as in pulling it away from the handlebar :eh: That's the only way you will remove any pressure from the slave cylinder other than removing it altogether. As it's easy to remove that's what I usually do,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

strange things these clutches.. to ways poles apart. but it seems to have worked both ways? how iv no idea, i must try the lever off next time to see how it goes :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If stripping it down to clean it out just take the cover off and dismantle the clutch slave as grit & gubbins usually gets ingested - don't worry about levers to do that as it will need bleeding afterwards anyhow. It's when you want to get into it to say change the drive sprocket without bleeding afterwards that tips about levers becomes useful.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts