Orrible rear end!

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

Orrible rear end!

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Been away for a bit as my sons been unwell but back from hospital now and I have some much appreciated free time to continue the improvements on the vtr.
Front end much better with forks, headstock and brakes sorted.
Rear end now- truly horrible mess it's in, creaking linkages, soft shock, wrecked hugger and scuffed rear tyre where the poorly installed hig mount exhausts have been hitting hugger and doing horrible things.
I'm gonna be making up some spacers for the pillon peg hangers and also for the mounts on the straps that the cans hang on to try and get them an inch or 2 further out.
First thing this morning though is to get the shock linkage ripped out and stripped and see what bearings etc need replacing then get them ordered in time for my next free day.
Plan with bike now is to get it mechanically sound (this is proving to be an epic endeavour) and leave it a little ratty cosmetically to both save money and reduce risk of theft.
One question- without me wading through the forum can anybody give me a list/affordable source for the bearings, seals, spacers etc associated with the rear linkage as and reckon they're all be in poor shape if the rest of the bike has been anything to go by.
Thanks..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Wicky

Re: Orrible rear end!

Post by Wicky »

Have a read through this for hints & tips and parts list etc.

The Workshop Knowledgebase > *** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing*** > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

Just go to your local bearing factors for common bearings & dust seals ½ - 1/3 the price of OEM - anything else get the part no. and order in from wemoto / David Silvers.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/moto-h ... 11510.html
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I have used a local bearing company for the seals and needle rollers. But if the but if the collars a done, it was a purchase from David Silver
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Wicky wrote:Have a read through this for hints & tips and parts list etc.

The Workshop Knowledgebase > *** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing*** > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

Just go to your local bearing factors for common bearings & dust seals ½ - 1/3 the price of OEM - anything else get the part no. and order in from wemoto / David Silvers.

Thanks for the info.
Have it all apart now.
All in surprisingly good and well greased condition apart from the 2 bearings and collar that secure the linkage to the swing arm bracket.
Took me over 2 hours with a blowtorch, hammer and drift and a 8mm Allen key wrench I welded together to get that bolt out.
Both the rollers and the collar and bolt are totally knackered, dry crumbling rust throughout- a miracle it didn't seize and break on me.
I will order the collar and bolt from Dave silvers and try and get the nut, bearings and seals cheaper elsewhere.
Does anyone know the exact specs/dimensions (to save me measuring) of the bearings and seals?
Thanks again..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

fatfreddy000 wrote:
Wicky wrote:Have a read through this for hints & tips and parts list etc.

Thanks for the info.
Have it all apart now.
All in surprisingly good and well greased condition apart from the 2 bearings and collar that secure the linkage to the swing arm bracket.
Took me over 2 hours with a blowtorch, hammer and drift and a 8mm Allen key wrench I welded together to get that bolt out.
Both the rollers and the collar and bolt are totally knackered, dry crumbling rust throughout- a miracle it didn't seize and break on me.
I will order the collar and bolt from Dave silvers and try and get the nut, bearings and seals cheaper elsewhere.
Does anyone know the exact specs/dimensions (to save me measuring) of the bearings and seals?
Thanks again..
Sorted, found the dimensions in the guide described above.
Needle rollers 17x24x20
Seals 17x24x5

Ordered theses along with a new collar and socket bolt from Dave silvers.
Came in at a total of about £47!
Just need a new 10mm nut now.

Thanks for the help..
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

a messy horrid job to do on them but it does make them feel nicer at the rear :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Spacing the cans out is sometimes more difficult than it looks, due to the link pipes being at different angles each side.
You often end up with asymmetrical heights, or asymmetrical spacings.
Depends what cans and links you're running.
Good luck!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:Spacing the cans out is sometimes more difficult than it looks, due to the link pipes being at different angles each side.
Good luck!
Sometimes it's like a Chinese puzzle :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

tony.mon wrote:Spacing the cans out is sometimes more difficult than it looks, due to the link pipes being at different angles each side.
Good luck!
ay, its proving to be difficult.
no idea what the link pipes and cans are but they're mounted as high as they could go- actually pushing into and distorting the seat cowl a little.
the l/h can now clears the rear tyre with 10mm to spare!
the r/h can is still about 10mm overlapping the tyre.

good time to check this out with the suspension linkage removed i can just lift up and down the swing arm.
problem is that the r/h can already looks much further out than the l/h- looking at the distance from the number plate it looks well out.
I'm (semi) hopeful i can space the pillon peg hanger a bit further out and swing the linkpipe end of the can outwards to clear the tyre while at the same time bringing the rear of the can in a little.
I have also ground away the hangers a little to give more space (there is plenty left on them for strength but i would be concerned about using many more spacers on the mounts as there will be too much force on the subframe).
so much to bloody do still on this beast.
i think the front exhaust header may fall off soon as the flange and studs are so rotten- gotta find time to try and make a split flange in SS once the rear end is sorted..
i could do with an extra couple of days in the week right now!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

My ex had a orrible rear end
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm on your rear end Lloyd :wtf:
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »