Cutting Out at High Revs

General Bike chat
davebonline

Cutting Out at High Revs

Post by davebonline »

Hi

So I've had my '98 Storm sinse Januaray and it's been a blast so far. First thing I did was the CCT's, swapped out for Bazzer's manuals and that all went smoothly.

The bike starts, runs and sounds spot on, loads of power through out the rev range etc. The only thing I've noticed is, occasionally when I rev the bike in the lower gears (2nd and 3rd), when it reaches around 9k revs the power cuts, almost like a limiter.

I recently did a test and held the throttle open whilst in a low gear and sure enough it cut around 9k but keeping the throttle open it would go up to 9.5k and then cut and back down to 9k, basically refusing to go past this reve range.

The bike did this before I replaced the CCT's, and I did find a few loose clips on the carbs etc. during strip down, so I was super thorough in putting everything back properly, even so the bike still cuts out. It also got a new air filter as it still had the original Honda item which was looking very dirty.

Anyway, I don't ride it loads, and TBH it's not a huge worry because I rarely venture to those revs anyway, but I am curious as to what could be causing this as I'd prefer it to be working 'as it should'.

For the record it's a '98 bike with around 13,500 miles and looks to have been well looked after over the years. It's also completely stock.

Any advice on this would be greatfully received.

VTRDark

Re: Cutting Out at High Revs

Post by VTRDark »

That will be the limiter but it shouldn't cut out. It will be more like a splutter / stutter and revs will drop. No need to get the revs that high unless your on track. Your only putting the engine under unnecessary duress. It's not an IL4.
==============================Enter the Darkside
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

VTRDark wrote:That will be the limiter but it shouldn't cut out. It will be more like a splutter / stutter and revs will drop. No need to get the revs that high unless your on track. Your only putting the engine under unnecessary duress. It's not an IL4.
So you reckon it is the limiter, even though the red line starts above that (10k or something)?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Peak horsies and torque go downhill above 9k+ - Useable fun stuff is between 5–8k

Board index > Bike Shop> Workshop > Dyno Charts

"Use the torque, Luke!"

If you really want to explore above 9k then fit an HRC ECU which removes the limiter (make sure you have sufficient funds to allow for engine rebuilds)
Plug one in to a stock engine to test it and the valves will float off the cams, hit the pistons, knock the valve retainers out, get sucked into the cylinder, break off and the valve head will end up impaled sideways into the piston or valve seat, after several cycles of bashing around in the combustion chamber.

Other than that, you should be fine.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

Wicky wrote:Peak horsies and torque go downhill above 9k+ - Useable fun stuff is between 5–8k

Board index > Bike Shop> Workshop > Dyno Charts

"Use the torque, Luke!"

If you really want to explore above 9k then fit an HRC ECU which removes the limiter (make sure you have sufficient funds to allow for engine rebuilds)
Plug one in to a stock engine to test it and the valves will float off the cams, hit the pistons, knock the valve retainers out, get sucked into the cylinder, break off and the valve head will end up impaled sideways into the piston or valve seat, after several cycles of bashing around in the combustion chamber.

Other than that, you should be fine.
Haha! So I'm hitting the limiter then? Good to know at least Image

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It has a soft limiter which you're describing but then a hard limiter which cuts ignition.

There's so much valve to piston clearance with std pistons and cams you can safely use the limiter, but of course if you wait until it cuts then you're losing power and time. TBH you get no real benefit changing at 9500, it drops in all gears back into the peak power if you change at 9.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.