The time has come..

General Bike chat
mattster

Re: The time has come..

Post by mattster »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm So what's your opinion on the new bike Matt now you've had chance to get some miles in, well hopefully you have :?:
What's the wind protection like compared to the Storm :?:

Chris.
Only done the 200ish miles on it so far, so still not fully gelled with it..

Wind protection is non-existent compared with the storm, can imagine a sore neck occuring after long fast rides..
I cant ride the Speed without earplugs - far too noisy. The db screen on the storm must do enough to channel the air over/around my lid as it's nowhere near as loud on that.

Haven't rushed out on it since the last time as I need to get the back wheel off to get the chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted properly, but the lack of a single sided paddock stand and a 46mm socket has delayed me! Abba stand just arrived, so hopefully get it sorted this weekend.

Some additional bike jiggerypokery has taken place, the project Superdream has been sold (3 years on, zero progress made) and the wife's fazer is most likely going to be sold too... plan then is for her to insure the Storm for the occasional run out and I'll be able to have a wee shot now and again.. :thumbup:
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Great decision there...
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mattster wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:00 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm So what's your opinion on the new bike Matt now you've had chance to get some miles in, well hopefully you have :?:
What's the wind protection like compared to the Storm :?:

Chris.
Only done the 200ish miles on it so far, so still not fully gelled with it..

Wind protection is non-existent compared with the storm, can imagine a sore neck occuring after long fast rides..
I cant ride the Speed without earplugs - far too noisy. The db screen on the storm must do enough to channel the air over/around my lid as it's nowhere near as loud on that.

Haven't rushed out on it since the last time as I need to get the back wheel off to get the chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted properly, but the lack of a single sided paddock stand and a 46mm socket has delayed me! Abba stand just arrived, so hopefully get it sorted this weekend.

Some additional bike jiggerypokery has taken place, the project Superdream has been sold (3 years on, zero progress made) and the wife's fazer is most likely going to be sold too... plan then is for her to insure the Storm for the occasional run out and I'll be able to have a wee shot now and again.. :thumbup:
I did wonder if you would have had the time to cover some more miles going by your original post.

The reason I asked about the wind protection, I saw a Speed triple local to me and I did think about changing bikes, well only for a very short time :wink: but went with the Renthal flat bar handlebar conversion instead. This was due to problems I was getting with my neck from the clip-on handlebars. I have to say the bar conversion has helped a lot, the bike now is so much more pleasurable to ride.
I did wonder if that little screen your bike has would help at all, but going by your reply is doesn't sound like it does a lot :)

Your plan sounds like a good one :thumbup:

Chris.
mattster

Post by mattster »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 pm
I did wonder if you would have had the time to cover some more miles going by your original post.

The reason I asked about the wind protection, I saw a Speed triple local to me and I did think about changing bikes, well only for a very short time :wink: but went with the Renthal flat bar handlebar conversion instead. This was due to problems I was getting with my neck from the clip-on handlebars. I have to say the bar conversion has helped a lot, the bike now is so much more pleasurable to ride.
I did wonder if that little screen your bike has would help at all, but going by your reply is doesn't sound like it does a lot :)

Your plan sounds like a good one :thumbup:

Chris.
Not much time to get out for a run at the moment, but that's ok - I'll get out on it soon enough i'm sure.
One thing I've maybe not mentioned enough is that it is rapid.... Any gear any speed it just gets up and goes... very addictive. My storm takes a lot of provocation to lift the front under power alone, the speed will do it with ease!

I converted my Storm to renthals a few years ago, it definitely makes a great bike even better. Much comfier and easier to throw into corners.

grumpyfrog wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:39 pm Great decision there...
sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 pm Your plan sounds like a good one :thumbup:
Cheers!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Matt for your reply :thumbup:

Fingers crossed you do find sometime to get out on the bike before the bad weather gets here,

Chris.
mattster

Post by mattster »

Wee update to this saga....

Didn't gel with the Speed Triple, windblast got annoying quickly, exhaust note (whine?) didn't sound good unless you were properly on it, ventura rails wouldn't fit with aftermarket exhaust/tail tidy....

so 500 miles later, it was back up for sale.

Sold it for a £5 profit, so not too bad... :thumbup:

Now in it's place is a 2014 Z1000SX - it's a belter so far! 800 miles done in just over a month..

(Storm is still here too!)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for the update Matt :thumbup:

Good luck with the 2014 Z1000SX,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I do like the spec of the zSX bikes ... Would love to try the H2 version :D

So matt, will we see you in August when we are riding through Ayr?
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:01 am I do like the spec of the zSX bikes ... Would love to try the H2 version :D
Oh Gawd!
He's had a go on a rather nice Aprilla and noow he's gone power mad 8O
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mattster

Post by mattster »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:01 am I do like the spec of the zSX bikes ... Would love to try the H2 version :D

So matt, will we see you in August when we are riding through Ayr?
I'd love to try the H2 version as well....

Possibly - I've put the dates on my calendar, I'll see if I'm available nearer the time and give you guys a shout!
mattster

Post by mattster »

Only 17 months since my last confession reply...

So... the Z1000 was a cracking bike, ended up taking it to Ireland for the 2018 NW200 and part of the Wild Atlantic Way, then a quick tour of South Scotland. Comfy, very quick, practical, but lacked a decent soundtrack. :?

Late 2018 we moved house (to Largs - seaside town, great chips and ice cream!) so 2019 has been more about house-stuff than biking....

Sold the Kawasaki in April to free up some cash.
Bought a bargain VFR800 in August:

Needed a bit of tinkering to get it roadworthy... just a new set of front discs and it'll be set.

The Storm has remained and even got some attention at the start of the year - new chain/sprockets/oil/filter etc...

Who knows, I might even make it to the Scotland 2020 trip!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mattster wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pm Only 17 months since my last confession reply...

So... the Z1000 was a cracking bike, ended up taking it to Ireland for the 2018 NW200 and part of the Wild Atlantic Way, then a quick tour of South Scotland. Comfy, very quick, practical, but lacked a decent soundtrack. :?

Late 2018 we moved house (to Largs - seaside town, great chips and ice cream!) so 2019 has been more about house-stuff than biking....

Sold the Kawasaki in April to free up some cash.
Bought a bargain VFR800 in August:

Needed a bit of tinkering to get it roadworthy... just a new set of front discs and it'll be set.

The Storm has remained and even got some attention at the start of the year - new chain/sprockets/oil/filter etc...

Who knows, I might even make it to the Scotland 2020 trip!!
Good to hear from you Matt and what you've been up to :thumbup:

I hope all goes well with the VFR800, peeps seem to like these V4's,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

for all you get for storms these days its worth throwing them in the corner for a later date :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

At least you have a Honda for next years ride, and you can show us the best chip shop in Largs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ