Repainting

General Bike chat
j4weeson

Repainting

Post by j4weeson »

In dire need of advice

Im wanting to repaint the storm. Previous owner had an off and repainted it but... its :sick: . I want to keep it red so i was going to buy a few rattle cans from halfrauds, say, vaux flame red. I know it wont be as good sending it to the painters but I have seen that it can turn out well; couldnt be worse than current.
Anyone any suggestions for which shade of red? Italian red / R157 seems to be hard to get in rattle cans.
Wicky

Re: Repainting

Post by Wicky »

Go to your vehicle trade paint factors (or even Halfords) and give them the R157 colour to code to mix up in rattle cans. You'll need a few to do the whole bike, plus flexible plastic primer on plastics, undercoat and lacquer.

90% job is preparation so stock up on a variety of wet&dry, sticky wipes etc. and a if you have any cracks or broken fairings it will be a good opportunity to fix em up.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

I didnt realise they could mix the colour up! Ok so do i just undercoat the tank and use flexi primer as the under coat for the plastics? Or do i undercoat everything?
Also, would i use a red undercoat/primer?
I have a crack in the front guard so will fix it.
Just want to make the old girl a bit respectable looking now that my bro went an bought a s1000rr it has made me slightly jealous.Image

Want mine to end up simialr to the one below (sorry to whoever owns this bike) Image
Cheers
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Plastic repair & prep on fairings with pics > viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26537&p=421277

Then search online for sources which describes the prep and finish processes for painting.
"Ok so do i just undercoat the tank and use flexi primer as the under coat for the plastics? Or do i undercoat everything?
Also, would i use a red undercoat/primer?"
It all depends on the condition and colour of the existing paint - If you have areas that are down to plastic then they need doing from the gound up. If the paint is generally okay then you can just rub it down and just apply undercoat for the red. I've used a readily available flexible plastic red primer/undercoat before applying finish. The more prep and time you spend the better the job

Also for decals > viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13333
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

:D :D You my friend are an absolute legend! :D :D If you weren't so far away id buy you a pint :beer: . Maybe ill return the favour somehow...someday...
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Wicky wrote:Go to your vehicle trade paint factors (or even Halfords) and give them the R157 colour to code to mix up in rattle cans. You'll need a few to do the whole bike, plus flexible plastic primer on plastics, undercoat and lacquer.

90% job is preparation so stock up on a variety of wet&dry, sticky wipes etc. and a if you have any cracks or broken fairings it will be a good opportunity to fix em up.

Halfords stopped doing the paint mixing ...... some legislation compliance crap water based paints on cars

I have used these before
http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colour ... delid=2134

I have also used Platex / Kemdent. Work really well on crack and broken bits.. i sometimes use a fine on the inside or reinforcement
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't underestimate the prep work involved before and between coats. 'The better the prep the better the finish' Also if this is your first time with rattle cans you may want to practise on a spare panel or something as there is some skill required. Start with a light dust coat and build up the layers and don't apply too much or it will run and you will be rubbing down again. Don't forget to mask off and allow some over-spray on surrounding areas to blend-in and once complete, rub down with some 1500 to 2000 grade wet n dry and then apply polish (yes polish not wax) to buff up to a high sheen. If you can get away with 2000 grade then stick with that but always start with the least damaging to remove as little as necessary and be extra cautious on edges :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

StuartWags wrote:
Wicky wrote:Go to your vehicle trade paint factors (or even Halfords) and give them the R157 colour to code to mix up in rattle cans. You'll need a few to do the whole bike, plus flexible plastic primer on plastics, undercoat and lacquer.

Halfords stopped doing the paint mixing ...... some legislation compliance crap water based paints on cars
That's handy to know, I've had paint (red) from Halfords before, what I had was a close match. A shame they are not doing it anymore.

Back to the original poster.

According to the Superhawk forum (USA version of the Firestorm if you didn't know) Cardinal Red is a close match for R157 Italian Red, and Homebase stock it, well they did the last time I was there a few weeks ago.
Link to the Superhawk forum:- https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/g ... red-20937/

Chris.