Cornering

General Bike chat
ahambea

Cornering

Post by ahambea »

Hi All,
I have had a 2000 firestorm for a couple of months, when I turn it the bars push a bit on my inside wrist, it seems worse when slowing and a bit better when opening it up. I just got am MOT and have a new back tyre that did make it a little better. Are they all like this, can anybody help in making it a bit more neutral in feel.
Thanks Andy.
Wicky

Re: Cornering

Post by Wicky »

Make sure all the standard things are sorted, serviced and dialled in - head bearings, tyres (as you've found) suspension settings etc.

Then more improvement can be made by upgrading the front & rear suspension - get the front forks 'Rogered' and an aftermarket shock. Suspension then can be set for your weight and riding style plus if required the rear shock can be raised/shimmed a couple of millimeters to alter steering angle.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

ahambea wrote:Hi All,
I have had a 2000 firestorm for a couple of months, when I turn it the bars push a bit on my inside wrist, it seems worse when slowing and a bit better when opening it up. I just got am MOT and have a new back tyre that did make it a little better. Are they all like this, can anybody help in making it a bit more neutral in feel.
Thanks Andy.
Double check your front typre pressure but it sounds like a worn front tyre to me. Even though the tread is legal for an MOT the way the front wears can make a big difference to the handling especially at slow speeds. Rub your hand across the profile of front and you will probably find that there is noticeable wear half an inch of centre on both sides.

Al.
ahambea

Post by ahambea »

Thanks for the info, I do have a bit of a worm front tyre so will consider changing it, if I wanted to set the suspension to standard, has anybody posted a set up on here. I dont have a manual so some pics would help. How does the spacer on the rear shock fit?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

at a guess front tyre done and prob around 25 psi in it...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
podman

Post by podman »

As said above, do you basic checks first , they can make all the difference.

What bike(s) did you have before? A storm is a pretty neutral and forgiving bike but if you have come from a 400 or sporty 600, they can feel a tad heavier to manoeuvre on occasion.

Ive taken some pictures from my handbook so hopefully these will be of use to put it all back to standard as a starting point.

[url]Image

[url]Image

[url]Image

[url]Image
ahambea

Post by ahambea »

Thanks for the picks, it gives me a good starting point, I have had many bikes over the years, FZ750 Bandit XT600 and TT CRM250 GSXR1100 CB500 350LC and YPVS and my current commuter SH125. Honda's to me have always had very neutral handling so I was surprised as this feels like the FZ but much lighter and faster.
I will have a play ate the weekend my only problem now is its only got a side stand.