Bike won't start

General Bike chat
STJ1981

Bike won't start

Post by STJ1981 »

Hoping someone in here can help.

A couple of weeks back, I turned the VTR off and went back to it after about 10 minutes. It wouldn't start. Instead it was clicking continuously like it had a dodgy starter or something like that. There was a noticeable vibration coming from the starter relay whilst it was trying to fire.

Wouldn't fire up at all so I bumped it then took it home. By the time I got home, there was nothing on the starter button when I tried it. Not even the clicking.

I've replaced the starter relay and that hasn't solved the issue. All battery connections are perfect and there's plenty of life in the battery. Lights come on etc but it doesn't even make an attempt to fire.

Am I missing something? Is there something else in the ignition sequence I should be checking? Anybody had this problem before? There is an inline fuse leading up to the starter relay - that is fine too.

Any help would be appreciated.
fabiostar

Re: Bike won't start

Post by fabiostar »

when you say it wont fire,is the engine turning over?. id also check the starter button is ok and give it a good clean. rule out the small stuff first.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

They are renowned for corroded connectors, starter leads. I would first short across the relay and see if it starts, if not I would run some fat wire from the relay to the starter motor. If that doesn't work I would then short directly to the battery. If that doesn't work you will be looking at starter motor brushes or sprag clutch

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
STJ1981

Post by STJ1981 »

fabiostar wrote:when you say it wont fire,is the engine turning over?. id also check the starter button is ok and give it a good clean. rule out the small stuff first.
No mate, not even turning over. Got battery lights etc. But not even a click or anything now.

Gonna be a process of elimination methinks :D
STJ1981

Post by STJ1981 »

Pete.L wrote:They are renowned for corroded connectors, starter leads. I would first short across the relay and see if it starts, if not I would run some fat wire from the relay to the starter motor. If that doesn't work I would then short directly to the battery. If that doesn't work you will be looking at starter motor brushes or sprag clutch

Pete.l
Thanks Pete. I'll try these. Process of elimination here I come...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Check the side stand and neutral switch while you at it.
==============================Enter the Darkside