SATNAV

General Bike chat
dewg

SATNAV

Post by dewg »

Afternoon,

I need a Satnav that talks to me through an earpiece---not bothered about the quality of the screen, cos the device will be in my pocket while I'm riding (or maybe I'll stick it on a glove, for an occasional look). If I have to go somewhere, I'll check the route on RAC Route Planner first, so I'll know pretty much where I'm going. The voice in my ear (sexy please) is so I don't mess-up at the end of the journey, when it's left after 100m, then right, then right, then.......

Any thoughts on a device? I don't need a super-dooper biker one, waterproof to 300m, and costing £300.00.

Thanks,

David (dewg)
KermitLeFrog

Re: SATNAV

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Smartphone?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Have you seen the ride to Birmingham motorcycle museum on 15th July to celebrate 20 yrs of firestorms ?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Have you seen the ride to Birmingham motorcycle museum on 15th July to celebrate 20 yrs of firestorms ?
He's seen it, but, until we answer his question, he won't be able to find it.

Old school idea, but how about a bit of aquarium airline tubing from your pocket to your helmet, tucked behind your ear?
It's allow you to hear the directions- just like having your wife in the car.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:
alanfjones1411 wrote:Have you seen the ride to Birmingham motorcycle museum on 15th July to celebrate 20 yrs of firestorms ?
He's seen it, but, until we answer his question, he won't be able to find it.
:lol: :lol: now that did strike me funny Tony :clap: certainly one of your better ones :thumbup:

Chris.
dewg

Post by dewg »

Hi,

Smartphones are very "minutes hungry". I only have 300 minutes per month to play with (£3.95 per month with Talktalk---how cheap is that!). It's cheaper for me to keep my current SIM contract, and get a cheap Satnav. You can get one for about £60.00 in Halfords. Just wondering if anyone has done that.
I'll be in Lancashire on 15th July (late father's house to clear).

David (DEWG)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Never trust any satnav voice directions as they always send you down the wrong turn .

Just get a waterproof case and bolt it in the head stem and use either a car satnav or your phone .
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Car satnavs aren't waterproof.
Bike specific ones have winding route options and are waterproof but they are expensive.
If you have a magnetic tank bag you can see a car one through the clear plastic window but you won't be able to hear the audio unless you rig a speaker connection to your lid.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I used a car sat nav on the bike for years. I just put it in a waterproof case.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/180943970230?c ... 735&crdt=0

as for head sets I've been using an old version of this one.

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/cardo-sca ... 0wodIkgHmg

It does bike to bike, radio, phone and sat nav. Depending on your lid you can have a conversation up to about 85mph quite comfortably

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
hallie

Post by hallie »

Google maps on the phone. Download offline areas you want and update them every 30 days. No drain on your data.
Download over WiFi connection :thumbup:
TIP; Never take a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night
http://morrisonbhp.net/
dewg

Post by dewg »

OK. It's confession time.

I have a Samsung phone that I bought from ARGOS for £14.99 years ago.
It is very advanced. It does phone-calls, and texts, and, um--- if you press "OK" it tells you the time, and there is a calendar, and an alarm clock, and even a calculator! Do not mock those of us in our 50s, who don't know that Smartphones can also be used as SATNAVS, without eating minutes!

I have bought a Samsung Galaxy J3 SIM-free phone (so I can stick my Talktalk SIM in it). I will speak to my brother-in-law (computer-boffin) about using it as a SATNAV, without using up my 300 minutes. It will be arriving by Amazon shortly.

This same brother-in-law (and my sister, his wife) were very critical of my intention to buy a 17 year old motorcycle. My brother-in-law sent me videos of Honda's latest 750cc parallel twin--the NC range (I've got a nice laptop and Broadband, so I can receive that---I'm just not so good on the mobile stuff). It's very good on fuel, apparently.

My VTR1000 is very good on the manual camchain adjusters. and the billet handlebar risers with flat bars , and the comfortable after-market seat, and the stainless steal aftermarket exhaust system (set-up by dyno), and the braided hoses, and the hugger, and the 12 months MOT, and the full service, and......

And I love it.

David (DEWG)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

We would never mock anyone like you. Not to begin with anyway. You've made two very good decisions. One: to get a VTR. The second: to ease yourself into the 20th century. Lots more to come!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)