front tyre directional importance

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

front tyre directional importance

Post by fatfreddy000 »

hi all,
did something bloody stupid yesterday.
spent the day working on the front end of the bike- new fork springs and oil, electrical tidy up and while the wheel was off took it in to replace the knackered tyre.
the old tyre was a pirelli sport with the V tread direction facing forwards (as on a rear tyre).
i took the tyre off with my levers and took it into a bike shop to fit the new one. As there was no sign of a directional arrow on the wheel (it should be near the hub stamped on one of the spokes no ?) i just told them which way i wanted the V's facing.
only once the wheel was on the bike did i see the directional arrow facing the wrong way, so on this tyre (pirelli diablo) the V's should face backwards (opposite to a rear tyre)- Doh!
after some reading it seems that some tyres face that way to aid waiter dispersal while braking, also some folk speak of the overlap in the top welt being directional- although many say this is nonsense..
i am now wondering how important it is that the tread is reversed- if there is no issue with the welt overlap then it would come down to water dispersal on wet roads- but why do some tyres front V type treads face one way and some the other? it makes me think its not that important- but of course i don't wanna take risks with something as crucial as the front tyre..
thoughts?
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
lloydie

Re: front tyre directional importance

Post by lloydie »

It's not just the tread it's how it's constructed .
Best to get it turned around
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

+2

It's not just the welt it's also the bias on the plys.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

just ride backwards ?????

sorry il get my coat :biggrin
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

time to turn it round then..
any idea though why some front tyres have a forward facing V tread and some reverse V tread?
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
popkat

Post by popkat »

If you have the original brake discs fitted there's small direction arrows on them. the spoke pattern is the same as the rear in case you put the wheel in the wrong way round.

While where at it this might help too. When you put the spindle in tighten the nut to torque but don't tighten the pinch bolts on the left side, put calipers on and nip them up, slowly pull the brake to get pressure then put front end down and bounce up and down a few times. The left fork is floating, this will settle it into the right place. Now tighten the pinch bolts Evenly and torque the caliper bolts.. pop it back on the stand and check the wheel spins freely.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fatfreddy000 wrote:time to turn it round then..
any idea though why some front tyres have a forward facing V tread and some reverse V tread?
I can't say I've ever noticed that, although I've never really looked. One thing I will say however, the front tyre is being pushed, whereas the rear is being driven.
I agree with the others, get yours changed around if it's facing the wrong way to be on the safe side, as I see you have decided :thumbup:

Chris.
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

sirch345 wrote:
fatfreddy000 wrote:time to turn it round then..
I can't say I've ever noticed that, although I've never really looked. One thing I will say however, the front tyre is being pushed, whereas the rear is being driven.
I agree with the others, get yours changed around if it's facing the wrong way to be on the safe side, as I see you have decided :thumbup:

Chris.
yep, sometimes its a pain in the butt to get good advice!
all i can say is that the pirelli sport demon on the front of my gpz750 is labeled as a front with directional arrow the right way and the V's facing forwards..
it does seem logical with the same wheel rotation as the rear that a forward rolling v would displace water rather than gather it but i guess under braking things get more complicated..
still, I'm perplexed by the opposing directions of a similar V tread pattern from the same manufacturer.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Thing is, even if it gave you no trouble, if you had an accident and it was spotted, your insurance would try to refuse to pay out, saying that you'd deliberately made the bike dangerous.

Just swap the front and rear wheels round- oh, then the new front one would also be going backwards.
Best get it changed then.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

fabiostar wrote:just ride backwards ?????

sorry il get my coat :biggrin
:lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!