How good is your bike?

General Bike chat
grumpyfrog

How good is your bike?

Post by grumpyfrog »

Right
Since coming separated from black1 last Aug, I've never been on another Storm in about 10 years.
Yesterday I picked up black2, same age, same miles, but cosmetically a bucket. Been down the road, red panels painted over, lived at the seaside so furry as a 70 year old hippy that's been living in the cutback for 20 years.
Insurance etc sorted and out for a 20 mile shake down.

WTF was wrong with my old bike?
This thing pulls like a train everywhere.
Suspension needs tweeking (replaced more likely ) as does breaks but so smooth and powerful everywhere.
So apart from at Ops, when else have you compared Storm with Storm? It might point out a thing or 2 that we just "ride around "!
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
lloydie

Re: How good is your bike?

Post by lloydie »

Never liked standard ones regarding the ride (very uninspiring) the engines have always been nice tho .
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've only ridden four, including my current one (which is the best of the lot).

Apart from brakes and suspension the best thing I did was put the standard pipes back on. Heavy, I know. Quieter but not too quiet. Perhaps these Honda engineers know a thing or two?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I've had the chance to ride a few different storms over the years, and to be fair, the engines have always been good, except for the first one, which was 180 degrees out.
handling varies, but as lloydie said, std suspension isn't all that. but you'll only realise that once you've ridden one with aftermarket suspension.
brakes can vary, depending on how they've been looked after.
one of the ones I liked a lot, was in fact a std bike, but it had only done 10k, and was very fresh. but I didn't get the chance to take on any twisty's, as I think the oem suspension would have shown itself as a weak link once again. but that bike handled very crisply around roundabouts and weaving in and out of traffic.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
podman

Post by podman »

Thats the joy of buying a second hand bike for you, all these years later, which will be "best" will depend on how it was maintained and treated, be it a Firestorm or any other bike/vehicle...even if the last one you rode was 10 years ago its was still very much a used bike back then..
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

since buying my yellow one 4 years ago iv yet to ride two storms that are the same, and so far the big yellow girls engine has scored top marks..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Can't compare mine with any other storm as this is the first and only one i've owned and ridden.Work done by previous owner includes Ohlins remote adjustable rear shock,PVM magnesium wheels and Ducati 916/996 front end with Brembo calipers,pads and 320mm full floating discs to improve handling.The only way to compare it would be to ride a standard bike.All i know is it suits me.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
popkat

Post by popkat »

Is the handling better on the new one ?. I ask that as I think there was something not right with your old forks, I've set them up the same as my Storm forks except for slightly firmer springs as the VFR is more front bias, there's not enough rebound damping, I have damping fully in and the forks return too quick, on my Storm the forks are really good with a range of adjustment.. I think your old forks have a possible damping problem. The VFR is raceable but not as good as it could be, I'm going to get Maxton or K tech to look at them which should get them all sorted :thumbup:

Your old forks had std springs so I assume they were all standard and may have had a slight issue with the damping circuit from new ?

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

PK,
Now you have my grey matter going as I was running Blade front end for so long. Original forks were not that great, but thinking about it, the ones on this bike are even worse. I also need to get these redone.
Think I will just ride round it this summer then get them away to Roger over the winter. If this weather continues I'll see about changing the oil over some weekend to see what condition the inside is in.
Are you still doing rear units? I'll be needing one of those also.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
popkat

Post by popkat »

grumpyfrog wrote:PK,
Now you have my grey matter going as I was running Blade front end for so long. Original forks were not that great, but thinking about it, the ones on this bike are even worse. I also need to get these redone.
Think I will just ride round it this summer then get them away to Roger over the winter. If this weather continues I'll see about changing the oil over some weekend to see what condition the inside is in.
Are you still doing rear units? I'll be needing one of those also.

Yes I can get rear shocks, YSS as budget option or Nitron.

Your old forks were in good condition just odd that there isn't enough damping even after modding, should be easily sorted though.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

will be interested to hear what a suspension guy says about the forks in your VFR Malc, as I don't think there is enough rebound on mine and run it with the screw less than 1/4 from fully in, with 7.5wt oil.

I also tried going to 10wt oil and that helped get the rebound adjuster back to a sensible setting, but then the compression damping is too hard and when you hit corrugated section on the road the front end goes solid and the tyre washes out.
AMcQ
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

the engines are good, the handling as standard is a bit pants, my WP shock and Rodgered forks were a bloody revelation ( thing about it!!!) just sadly too buzzy for my arthritic jingley chemoed fingers
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

First off, get the forks off & change the oil...It's quite possibly still the origonal from new...If it is really mankey clean out the forks with something like brake cleaner... the old oil will just contaminate the fresh oil...

Then after the summer thrash get them off to Roger...

I bought a YSS off PopKat & have fitted it just this past week to NueRed, not tested it yet but will give it a run this weekend, tweak if ness & report in...then take it to DevonStorm for a proper test...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...