vibration??

General Bike chat
shipy59

vibration??

Post by shipy59 »

Hi Guys, just a quick first post. do 2004 vtr1000f s vibrate much in the upper rev range (over 5k) ??? mine seems to when i get on it a bit hard. I know they are a big twin just dont know how much they should vibe. thanks Dean, Perth, Australia.
Wicky

Re: vibration??

Post by Wicky »

Yes they will vibrate esp 2004 models when revved - have you the bar end weights fitted?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Watty

Post by Watty »

Check carb balance! !
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

they all vibrate a fair bit as normal, but you can find that poor alignment of the exhaust system can make it worse.

trick is to slacken off all the exhaust bolts a small amount, and give it a good shake / bang from both sides to settle it and then tighten up bit by bit from the front to the back.

BUT

if the front header clamp to the cyl head looks rusty DONT try and undo it, if it snaps the stud you will then have a worse problem
AMcQ
shipy59

Post by shipy59 »

bike is stock but for cans. thanks for tips so far. Have come from a ninja zx7r to this vtr and love it,doesnt have the warp speed efect of the ninja but so much lighter and nimble with SO much pull. ps bars dont vibe at all even on a long trip just feel it in general . :thumbup:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Dean, Welcome along mate.

These bikes can vibrate a lot especially when the carbs are out of sync. Also check the T P S

Also there is a mod that you can do to the air filter called the Burnie Morgan mod. That helps as well.

http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/airfilter.html

Also the chain tension is a critical factor.

Check the chain for any tight spots and maybe check the Cush Drive rubbers.

Like you I felt my bike vibrated a lot.

For me it was a process of elimination and checking lots of bolts and nuts for the correct tension as well.

I went through this because my bike had an annoying vibration at 5000 Revs, now it is gone .

Search the forum and you will find answers.

These are a great bike that respond well to care and attention. :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

check your chain for tight spots aswell..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bertye

Post by bertye »

Hi, I have gone from a 750 4 to the V and was very surprised at the lack of vibration as I was expecting there to be a fair amount, especially after riding friend's Duke's over the years ( I did not like any of them). I did fit standard pipes for a week wile I made my own silencers, and did notice more vib's coming through the foot peg's. Now it just seems uncannily smooth even at high rev's. As already mentioned, check out all the bolts are tight, especially the engine to frame ones. Weighted bar ends are a must, and there are to many light Ally ones on the market. I have after market stainless Steel ones fitted, which came with the bike when I got it. A side note: I have fitted 750VFR bars, and are lighter that the standard ones, and was expecting there to let the vib's through more, but are about the same.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bertye wrote: I did fit standard pipes for a week wile I made my own silencers, and did notice more vib's coming through the foot peg's.
Same here, I notice a lot more vibration through the foot pegs if I have ever gone back to the original cans from my Scorpions, as the original are a lot more restrictive :wink:

Chris.
shipy59

Post by shipy59 »

HMMM have noticed it getting better and all i have done is rig up a chain oiler, chain is in very good condition tho. Also did manual CCTs (homemade m10 threaded rod) and oil/filter change. Dam i love this bike, now to learn how to keep the front wheel down. :biggrin
shipy59

Post by shipy59 »

HMMM have noticed it getting better and all i have done is rig up a chain oiler, chain is in very good condition tho. Also did manual CCTs (homemade m10 threaded rod) and oil/filter change. Dam i love this bike, now to learn how to keep the front wheel down. :biggrin
shipy59

Post by shipy59 »

:eek2 OOPPS
while im here again are stock mufflers a lot quieter than straight through cans? ears are ringing. :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

shipy59 wrote::eek2 OOPPS
while im here again are stock mufflers a lot quieter than straight through cans? ears are ringing. :lol:
It's personal preference. Mine came with open cans and was TOO loud. I fitted standard cans which, to my mind, still give a pleasant sound but allow me to open the thing up without of whole neighbourhood hearing me.

Of course, they are heavier but I doubt they make much difference to the power output without jetting changes.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)