Front brakes binding

General Bike chat
StuartWags

Front brakes binding

Post by StuartWags »

bike had stood for ten years with a broken cct
I had the pistons out the calipers and clean out all the crap rebuilt and bled. did not remove seals .... binding.
Stripped removed seals, ultra sonic clean, clean crap out of seal groves, rebuilt ... binding .... did not replace seals

current status
stripped, ultrasonic clean again. including masters, replaced the seals...not refitted yet

not got much confidence in this working as I found nothing wrong.

So any ideas if they are still binding this time?
KermitLeFrog

Re: Front brakes binding

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Has to be the seals. They should be a little elastic and pull the pistons back a tad when the pressure is released.

Shouldn't bind with new seals....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ten year old rubber seals that havnt moved? they will be well past there best.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Watty

Post by Watty »

fabiostar wrote:ten year old rubber seals that havnt moved? they will be well past there best.
They'll be like wood 8O :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

In the caliper's seal groove esp the dust seal one, corrosion like kettle scale / teeth tartar can build up which distorts the seal causing binding. Careful and thorough scraping is required like a visit the dental hygienist to remove this build-up and new rubbery seals are best fitted with a good smear of red rubber grease.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
popkat

Post by popkat »

seals can wear to a tapered shape, if you remove them and put them back in the other way round from how they came out then it can cause binding or lots of travel on the lever, one way will push the pistons on, the other will pull them back.. It really isn't worth putting old seals back in. buy some new ones and not the cheapest you see, Powerhouse automotive is the best place to get good quality seals.

Other possible causes which I've seen before are master cylinder seals and/or corrosion of the master cylinder.. In rare cases the brake lines can break up inside and a flap forms, this can act like a one way valve and cause the brakes to bind.

To be sure of tip top brakes especially after such a long lay up I would replace all seals and brake lines.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Wicky wrote:new rubbery seals are best fitted with a good smear of red rubber grease.

Yes smear red rubber grease on the new seals but before putting the pistons in wipe off the excess grease, you don't want it contaminating the brake fluid, think of the rubber grease as a corrosion barrier in the seal grooves.. dip the pistons in fresh brake fluid then put them squarely back in to the caliper.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

many thanks for the input. It would be nice to get them feeling crisp and sharp.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

think it is sorted - MOT tomorrow .... will post some pic over the weekend