Heated Grips

General Bike chat
geoff996

Heated Grips

Post by geoff996 »

I'm waiting for my oxford heated grips to turn up. I had some on my first VTR and I wired them in to the loom but can't remember which wire i cut into. Has anybody done this to their VTR :thumbup:
RIDE TO ENJOY
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Heated Grips

Post by Pete.L »

I fitted some oxfords last year and they just connected straight to the battery.
They have an auto switch off circuit which recognises the motor isn't running so they won't run your battery flat, even if some scrote turns them on whilst you are parked
Have a check of the instructions when you get them and see if yours are the same. I'll bet they are :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I fitted some Oxfords to my ST1100 a few days ago. They do indeed come with a loom to connect straight to the battery via an inline fuse, and the controller automatically shuts them off when the bike is parked up.

Being OCD I wired mine through a switching relay anyway, along with a voltmeter.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It's summer !!
Are you crazy or are you putting the grips somewhere else ?

Yes the new oxfords grips wire directly to the battery as it has a shut off that will kick in when the voltage drops to low (if you forget to turn them off) but I'd still wire them into the live on the rear brake light switch as the storm needs a full charge to start !!.
Bump starting the storm ain't easy
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I looked at heated grips about 2/3 years ago and whilst Oxford Grips are very good but
costly I fitted an equivalent make ... They have been really good and easy to fit direct to
the battery with fuse and control ..I fitted mine on the top yoke and they heat up a real
treat every time never let me down.... About £30 ..fit in 1-2 hours tops..Dr Bike grips...
You can also control the heat both l/r grips cool/v hot..have a look M8tey :thumbup:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

lloydie wrote:It's summer !!

Might be nearly summer where you are, but here on the other side of the world it's starting to get chilly. :eek2
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Heated gloves ! :thumbup:

Both sides of your hand & all six digits get toasty. not just the palms of your hands as with heated grips...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote:Heated gloves ! :thumbup:

Both sides of your hand & all six digits get toasty. not just the palms of your hands as with heated grips...
+1

I've got both. The only way heated grips work is if you have muffs as well. Then they work OK. Heated gloves work well but they are horrid to use. Well, mine are. Far too thick. Difficult to use the controls etc...
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I ride all year round up here in Aberdeen so heated grips are essential safety equipment as far as I am concerned. If you're distracted by cold hands then you're not paying full attention to your surroundings.

I've been using Oxford "Sport" heated grips for the last 8 years (similar look to Renthal grips).

I always wire the power cables via the contacts of a relay straight to the battery. The relay coil is tapped into the rear light or number plate light.

Mounting the controller can be a bit of a pain on some bikes. On the Monster I chose not to use the variable temperature controller and instead used a two way motorcycle handlebar light switch to give it an integrated look with the left hand switchgear. The grips heat up and cool down slowly ehough that I just flick the switch on and off with my thumb as needed.

In winter I also run with an Exo2 heated vest and heated gloves to give some heat to the back of my hands and keep my body warm. Just the ticket when it is <5 Deg C.

Al.
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

[/quote]

+1

The only way heated grips work is if you have muffs as well.
I agree when you have MUFF around your finger they are nice and warm, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
Sorry couldn't resist
RIDE TO ENJOY
Watty

Post by Watty »

geoff996 wrote:
+1

The only way heated grips work is if you have muffs as well.
I agree when you have MUFF around your finger they are nice and warm, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
Sorry couldn't resist[/quote]
:lol: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

lloydie wrote:It's summer !!

Yes the new oxfords grips wire directly to the battery as it has a shut off that will kick in when the voltage drops to low (if you forget to turn them off) but I'd still wire them into the live on the rear brake light switch as the storm needs a full charge to start !!.
Bump starting the storm ain't easy Image
I agree, with both the storm and biffer are plugged into smart chargers when not in use, therefore they would always be on, if left on accidentally.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
MacV2 wrote:Heated gloves ! :thumbup:

+1

I've got both. The only way heated grips work is if you have muffs as well. Then they work OK. Heated gloves work well but they are horrid to use. Well, mine are. Far too thick. Difficult to use the controls etc...

mine are fine, and the only controls you need is the throttle.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

firestorm_al wrote:I ride all year round up here in Aberdeen so heated grips are essential safety equipment as far as I am concerned. If you're distracted by cold hands then you're not paying full attention to your surroundings.

I've been using Oxford "Sport" heated grips for the last 8 years (similar look to Renthal grips).

I always wire the power cables via the contacts of a relay straight to the battery. The relay coil is tapped into the rear light or number plate light.

Mounting the controller can be a bit of a pain on some bikes. On the Monster I chose not to use the variable temperature controller and instead used a two way motorcycle handlebar light switch to give it an integrated look with the left hand switchgear. The grips heat up and cool down slowly ehough that I just flick the switch on and off with my thumb as needed.

In winter I also run with an Exo2 heated vest and heated gloves to give some heat to the back of my hands and keep my body warm. Just the ticket when it is <5 Deg C.

Al.
See a sensible person, I use Keis stuff, but it's all the same, keeps you all toasty when the weather goes below 20ºC.....
spawner

Post by spawner »

What grip glue do you use for these? my storm has the grips fitted but they move around :roll:
Darren