The French Trip.

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

The French Trip.

Post by bigtwinthing »

Well we loaded onto the Ferry,Brittany Ferries strapped the bike down superb, with a pad over the seat and a ratchet Strap. We got off the other side, they lets us off we proceeded to Bricquebec, and the Clutch failed to work and stalled to a stop, considering we were all up weight of 496kg, it was lucky i didn't drop it. 61 miles and Bugger Broke down.

No oil in the Clutch pot, checked all over and no leaks. Waited 10 mins and the engine oil had gone up, Result, Slave cylinder looks like its leaked into the sump.

So Phone Carole Nash EU Recovery and they promptly sent a French Renault Dealer to collect us.

Back to their garage, but obviously no parts. They rang 11 Bike garages but no spares avalable, the closest Triumph Garage didn't have the part either, UK Main dealers also didn't have the part.

So we unload the bike. The Garage get us a taxi back to Cherbourg to pick up a Hire car (Nissan Micra), they pay for it!!!. WE do 5 days around France in the micro with the bike sat at Renault garage.

We come back Sat at 1400 load the bike up into a Van, Drop the car at Cherbourg, the Garage pick mu up from the Hire Car Place and take me to the Port. Brittany Ferries allow the Recovery van onto the ferry. drop the Bike off, strap it down and drop us off at Foot passenger Terminal. We get on the boat sail home.

At Poole, Brittany Ferries and carole Nash have arranged for a recovery Van to come onto the Boat, pick us and the bike up and take us home. WE get home at Midnight. Unload the bike etc.

So bloody Fantastic week, sadly no bike, but we did get a car. Carole Nash, The Renault Dealer and Brittany ferries bloody superb service, it could easily have been a Nightmare. All the French people have been superb, i will be e mailing all of them my thanks.

Morale maybe to ensure you have Good Breakdown cover if going abroad.

Today i will drain the Oil, Change the Filter and replace the Space cylinder on Monday. Hopefully up to Worcester for Saturday for the meet up.

:thumbup: Paul.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Re: The French Trip.

Post by MacV2 »

Epic...tale of woe...

Glad it worked out for you in the end...

How did the Micra compare to the bike ? :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

What a shitter but glad it turned out well
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

MacV2 wrote:Epic...tale of woe...

Glad it worked out for you in the end...

How did the Micra compare to the bike ? :lol:
Ironically a 3 cylinder 1000cc, but it was ok. 71mpg ! very good service from Brittany and carole nash. The garage looked after the bike well too.

We will go again. I just hope it is the Slave cylinder, it does point to that. I will look later.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

What a bummer but seems as though all worked out in the end.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Bugger about the breakdown and good news about Carole Nash as I'm with them too, primarily for the European Breakdown cover.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Watty

Post by Watty »

sh1t times mate, but good turnout​ :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
macdee

Post by macdee »

nightmare but you made the best of it and didnt let it ruin your holiday :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You managed to turn the trip from a disaster into a Triumph, shame the bike went the other way!
I love the way your life experiences have made you see the positive in everything Paul. Well done mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Kev L wrote:You managed to turn the trip from a disaster into a Triumph, shame the bike went the other way!
I love the way your life experiences have made you see the positive in everything Paul. Well done mate.
True dat.
Nissan gets him down.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Kev L wrote:You managed to turn the trip from a disaster into a Triumph, shame the bike went the other way!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Bike sorted tonight. :thumbup: French Trip 2 booked for September. :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tony.mon wrote:
True dat.
Nissan gets him down.

your gonna cut yourself, so sharp you Guys.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That certainly didn't go as planned, even so it sounds like you Paul and your wife had a good holiday, a shame about the bike not being part of it all.

Good to hear you had excellent service from Carole Nash EU Recovery :thumbup:

Chris.