News for twostroke fans.

General Bike chat
lloydie

Re: News for twostroke fans.

Post by lloydie »

So you have tools and access to one of these 800cc motors ?

Build a bike I beg you I'll fly over and take it for a spin
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sadly, I have neither the money nor the resources to get anything like that off the ground. I am amazed, however, that no one with the said essentials is doing it....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
macdee

Post by macdee »

cant wait for the return of the 2 stroke so that we can rid the world of this poor wretch of a 4 stroke :Beer Popcorn:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:mileage is all relative. Snowmobiles, being tracked vehicles, have a tremendous amount of friction (ie. approx half of the engine power is used up in the drivetrain), which severely harms fuel economy. For comparison purposes, I have had sleds that got 9 mpg (Imperial, not US), as opposed to this sled which gets about 21-22 (again Imperial, the quoted figure is in US gal, which are only 3.78 L). Put in such a low-friction environment as a motorcycle the fuel mileage would be incredible (remembering, of course, you are dealing with an extremely high performance engine), to say nothing of the performance.

as for why no one has jumped on board, good question, and one I have often asked myself. As the particular E-TEC voice-coil DI injector is patented, it would require BRP to step up to the plate or have someone else license it from them. I hope someone does, because this is too good to limit to sleds (and outboard boat motors). Dirt bikes and sportbikes with this tech would quickly have people forget four-strokes......

FWIW, I have been working in the snowmobile industry for the past 18 years, including the last 10+ as tech editor of a snowmobile publication (also did a 2 year stint as editor of a motorcycle mag, one I still write for as a contributor). I have talked at length with the engineers behind this technology and have sampled every sled built in the past 16 years, so I have a pretty good basis for my statements and opinions.... Here is the link to an article I wrote about the basic E-TEC technology when it first burst onto the scene back in 2005: http://fcmq.qc.ca/files/6614/7023/4147/ ... 005_12.pdf Things have continued to evolve since then, but the basic tech remains very similar...
Thanks for that information Micky, I had a feeling you posted up something before on Snowmobiles, so I guessed you would know a lot more about them than I do. I didn't think for one minute you could compare a Snowmobile to a road going motorcycle. Good of you to post up your handy work for us to have a read of :thumbup:

It would be brilliant to see one of these engines making it into production in a road going motorcycle, I hope it actually happens one day not in the too distant future.
lloydie wrote:http://thekneeslider.com/kr800-kawasaki ... reet-bike/
Someone already at it !!
Good find Lloydie :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Twostrokes are gaining momentum according to this:-
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-new ... duro-bikes

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Seems many in the off-road world are wanting to go back to the simpler and much cheaper (to maintain) two-strokes. The arrival of four-stroke in motocross, welcomed with open arms by those whio falsely believed that they would require the same (minimal) upkeep as their automobile or road bike, have been bitten heard when they find out the true cost of maintaining a four-stroke RACE engine. Yet another example of something seeming too good to be true, and proving to be just that in the end.

Bring on the clean two-strokes!

And just think, this new KTM tech is essentially a half-measure to a true DI. The best is yet to come!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Watty

Post by Watty »

macdee wrote:cant wait for the return of the 2 stroke so that we can rid the world of this poor wretch of a 4 stroke :Beer Popcorn:
Electric all the way :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!