News for twostroke fans.

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

News for twostroke fans.

Post by sirch345 »

This could be good news for twostroke fans:- http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017 ... evolution/

Chris.
lloydie

Re: News for twostroke fans.

Post by lloydie »

New toy for next year
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Snowmobiles have been running this technology since 2004 (hence my finding its hyping quite humourous) when it was launched by Rotax under the name Semi-Direct Injection. It works well and cleans things up nicely (still smokes and ring-ding-dings on idle, however), but it's not DI.

Check out Rotax's latest DI snowmobile offering here: https://www.ski-doo.com/technologies/ro ... ngine.html

A derivative of this would be nice :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Thank the lord himself.... its time they came back into every mans life :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

mik_str wrote:Snowmobiles have been running this technology since 2004 (hence my finding its hyping quite humourous) when it was launched by Rotax under the name Semi-Direct Injection. It works well and cleans things up nicely (still smokes and ring-ding-dings on idle, however), but it's not DI.

Check out Rotax's latest DI snowmobile offering here: https://www.ski-doo.com/technologies/ro ... ngine.html

a great video, however all those great jumps you see, they done show any landing :lol: . Bit like my ski vids, take great air, don't show the crash at the end. Great engines though.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:Snowmobiles have been running this technology since 2004 (hence my finding its hyping quite humourous) when it was launched by Rotax under the name Semi-Direct Injection. It works well and cleans things up nicely (still smokes and ring-ding-dings on idle, however), but it's not DI.

Cheers for the info and link Micky :thumbup:

As much as I would like to see it, would a two-stroke road bike have a market in today's high cost of fuel I wonder :?: Lets face it we have a few people on here who complain about the Firestorm's mpg :)

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

A modern DI two-stroke could easily have superior fuel economy. Let us not forget that the mechanical drag is much less in a two-stroke (no cam chains, cams or valves to operate), and there is virtually no pumping loss in a two-stroke either. The two-stroke's downfall has always been unburned hydrocarbons (ie. raw fuel being pumped out the exhaust port; which serve to simultaneously increase pollution and drive up consumption) but both of these are solved in a DI engine, making for an engine that is much lighter, more powerful while not being impeded by parasitic losses. Kind of makes me wonder why the world is not migrating to them. DI two-strokes have been in snowmobiles since 2009 and they are fantastic!!!!!!
davebonline

Re: RE: Re: News for twostroke fans.

Post by davebonline »

mik_str wrote:A modern DI two-stroke could easily have superior fuel economy. Let us not forget that the mechanical drag is much less in a two-stroke (no cam chains, cams or valves to operate), and there is virtually no pumping loss in a two-stroke either. The two-stroke's downfall has always been unburned hydrocarbons (ie. raw fuel being pumped out the exhaust port; which serve to simultaneously increase pollution and drive up consumption) but both of these are solved in a DI engine, making for an engine that is much lighter, more powerful while not being impeded by parasitic losses. Kind of makes me wonder why the world is not migrating to them. DI two-strokes have been in snowmobiles since 2009 and they are fantastic!!!!!!
Plus cheaper to manufacture I'm guessing?
macdee

Post by macdee »

What ever happened Bill Gates 2 stroke engine
It's was mad
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:A modern DI two-stroke could easily have superior fuel economy. Let us not forget that the mechanical drag is much less in a two-stroke (no cam chains, cams or valves to operate), and there is virtually no pumping loss in a two-stroke either. The two-stroke's downfall has always been unburned hydrocarbons (ie. raw fuel being pumped out the exhaust port; which serve to simultaneously increase pollution and drive up consumption) but both of these are solved in a DI engine, making for an engine that is much lighter, more powerful while not being impeded by parasitic losses. Kind of makes me wonder why the world is not migrating to them. DI two-strokes have been in snowmobiles since 2009 and they are fantastic!!!!!!
I appreciate how far the two stroke design as come from what it used to be like, they have made massive jumps in technology there. I can't help thinking though, can a two stroke engine be competitive with a four stroke in the fuel economy stakes when it fires twice as many times as a four stroke engine :?: Or I'm I missing something,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

The answer to your question is yes it can. In fact, it can get better fuel mileage because a two-stroke, due to much less mechanical drag (no cams turn or valve to open), as well as having virtually no pumping losses. Again, the big issue with two-strokes has always been raw fuel being pumped out the exhaust port, and this is cured with DI tech.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:The answer to your question is yes it can. In fact, it can get better fuel mileage because a two-stroke, due to much less mechanical drag (no cams turn or valve to open), as well as having virtually no pumping losses. Again, the big issue with two-strokes has always been raw fuel being pumped out the exhaust port, and this is cured with DI tech.
According to your link:-
fuel (up to 19 mpg
:lol:

If in road going form they are so good as you say, the question has to be, why haven't manufacturers jumped onto this before now, or may be they are in the process of :eh:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

mileage is all relative. Snowmobiles, being tracked vehicles, have a tremendous amount of friction (ie. approx half of the engine power is used up in the drivetrain), which severely harms fuel economy. For comparison purposes, I have had sleds that got 9 mpg (Imperial, not US), as opposed to this sled which gets about 21-22 (again Imperial, the quoted figure is in US gal, which are only 3.78 L). Put in such a low-friction environment as a motorcycle the fuel mileage would be incredible (remembering, of course, you are dealing with an extremely high performance engine), to say nothing of the performance.

as for why no one has jumped on board, good question, and one I have often asked myself. As the particular E-TEC voice-coil DI injector is patented, it would require BRP to step up to the plate or have someone else license it from them. I hope someone does, because this is too good to limit to sleds (and outboard boat motors). Dirt bikes and sportbikes with this tech would quickly have people forget four-strokes......

FWIW, I have been working in the snowmobile industry for the past 18 years, including the last 10+ as tech editor of a snowmobile publication (also did a 2 year stint as editor of a motorcycle mag, one I still write for as a contributor). I have talked at length with the engineers behind this technology and have sampled every sled built in the past 16 years, so I have a pretty good basis for my statements and opinions.... Here is the link to an article I wrote about the basic E-TEC technology when it first burst onto the scene back in 2005: http://fcmq.qc.ca/files/6614/7023/4147/ ... 005_12.pdf Things have continued to evolve since then, but the basic tech remains very similar...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote:If in road going form they are so good as you say, the question has to be, why haven't manufacturers jumped onto this before now, or may be they are in the process of
I think I recall reading something about this a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure the answer is because two strokes over a certain cc were banned and now there isn't a legislative way to get them back on the market. I'm pretty sure this was written by one of the snowmobile companies. They had an 800 cc engine producing more power with less emissions than a standard equivalent four stroke engine and they were complaining their techknowledgey was basically being quashed by government and big industry :|

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Pete.L wrote:
sirch345 wrote:If in road going form they are so good as you say, the question has to be, why haven't manufacturers jumped onto this before now, or may be they are in the process of
I think I recall reading something about this a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure the answer is because two strokes over a certain cc were banned and now there isn't a legislative way to get them back on the market. I'm pretty sure this was written by one of the snowmobile companies. They had an 800 cc engine producing more power with less emissions than a standard equivalent four stroke engine and they were complaining their techknowledgey was basically being quashed by government and big industry :|

Pete.l
the Hondas of the world... just like they succeeded in making GP racing all four-stroke...