Thinking of Selling Custom Vtr *need help to decide*

General Bike chat
Acidicall

Thinking of Selling Custom Vtr *need help to decide*

Post by Acidicall »

So i have owned my storm for a few years. I bought it due to having a poster of it on my wall when i was 8 and when she came up on ebay i could not help but bid. I got bored winter of 2014 and decided i wanted a project. So i stripped her down and did a bit of mod'ing.

So the changes i have made so far are as follows:
- front end of Honda CBR929? 2002 model, this is usd forks, brakes, discs, mudguard.
- Due to the CBR having under yoke clip ons i had to get Woodcraft 3" rises to clear the fairing.
- All braided hoses.
- rear end i have converted to 2006 yamaha R1, which has LED integrated indicators.
- Remus End Cans.
- Dynojet stage 2 set up on dyno; i have print outs.
- Custom paint job (de-badged) Midnight black with a slight red glitter.
- Wheels are bespoke, black centers with silver rims.
- Polished Frame & Swingarm.

I wanted to do more on the bike. The exhausts are hi level but do not yet fit in the R1 exhaust spots, they look ok but just not finished. Engine could do with a little respray and manual cam tensioners fitted. A little tidy under the seat, for more user friendly servicing but nothing to serious.

The bike has been well looked after since i have owned her. Full service ever year done by myself. Last one was April last year, value clearance, oil, fork seals, brake overhaul, liquids, new starter and battery etc. I have done no mileage on the bike since then. Which is why i am thinking of selling. The problem i have is what would it be worth? less then a standard due to changes or more because of? I am only looking for a ball park amount. To help me make my decision.

Thanks for any help in advance.

podman

Re: Thinking of Selling Custom Vtr *need help to decide*

Post by podman »

A change is as good as a rest, after a few years and miles I like to try something new...but then again, if your not doing the miles, do you need to?

Im sorry, I think many people consider a storm because its not such a focused bike, more of a briskish sports tourer, your mods are very individual and more sporting , unless your find your clone, its worth less than a standard bike, just my opinion mind, you may find find someone who loves it.

Stick it on eBay with a high reserve and see what the bidding gets to, then youll have a more accurate idea mate.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Acidicall

Post by Acidicall »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I may go down the eBay road and see how the bidding goes. I don't do a lot of miles on this bike as I have others. Slowly selling them off for one reason or another. I have a 2002 Gsxr600 that I love to bits and spend a lot of my time riding that.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that's what I call preliminary marketing. :lol: :lol: I could never get rid of my Storm but am thinking of getting something else for everyday use and more comfort over distance. So what would you replace your Storm with?
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I think some pics would be nice?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ooops I missed the GSXR bit. Black with Red glitter sounds nice. I'd like to see some pics too :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It's worth excatly what someone is willing to pay for it...

No year, no mileage...TBH the mods you have listed are irrellevent IMO to the cost. It may well stand you in lots of money but you'll be lucky to see that back.

Having all the standard parts to go with the bike may help with the top price...It's what I'd want.

At the moment Storm prices are on the high side, well Storm asking prices that is....are they selling ? :crazy:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Price would all depend on the buyer, it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. Maybe a couple of the mandatory mods manual ccts etc would stand you in good steed for a decent price. Also if you have original parts. Anyone looking for a storm has hopefully read up on them and knows their weak points so I actually disagree with the "standard gets more money" comment. If the shortfalls have been addressed (crappy front end, rubbish rear shock, manual ccts etc) then I believe it would be worth more than a bulk standard. Not loads more but couple of hundred. Same as above love to see pictures, sort those links out above.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

For me the Firestorm is all about the V twin thing, the low down torque, the way the Vee Twin delivers the power. If you don't feel that, or get that, then may be it is time for you to move it on seeing as it's not getting used very much and you have other bikes. It sounds like you get more enjoyment out of your in-line four Suzuki.

An R1 rear-end can look good IMHO if done right, but your's would need the can's to be relocated to the R1 positions for maximum effect. Other wise as you point out, it's going to look unfinished as it is, and will be a lever for any potential buyer to try and knock the price down.
Get the cans in the right place and sort out under the seat, or re-fit the original rear-end, then give it a go on Ebay would be my suggestion, as others have already said, you can always put a reserve on it, no point in giving it away so-to-speak.

As already said, it would be good to see the photo's.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Put it on eBay with a buy it now or best offer at a price you would like and wait and see.

Also it can be worth converting to std and th n selling the special parts on to other firestorm owners
AMcQ
podman

Post by podman »

VTR Phoenix wrote: Anyone looking for a storm has hopefully read up on them and knows their weak points so I actually disagree with the "standard gets more money" comment. If the shortfalls have been addressed (crappy front end, rubbish rear shock, manual ccts etc) then I believe it would be worth more than a bulk standard. Not loads more but couple of hundred.
You'd think so wouldnt you...but I didnt, believing in that legendary Honda build and reliability would make for a near perfect second hand buy.. :biggrin

The only thing id looked up was the fuel tank differences between earlier and later models..and promptly fooked that up for myself by buying an early model registered in 2002...

As others have said, putting it back to stock, if it doesn't cost to much, and flogging the tasty aftermarket bits could well be the way to go.
Acidicall

Post by Acidicall »

2015-06-24 14.49.43.jpg
2015-06-24 14.49.43.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 2410 times
2015-06-24 14.49.58.jpg
2015-06-24 14.49.58.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 2410 times
2014-07-15 07.43.36.jpeg
2014-07-15 07.43.36.jpeg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looks great!
What part of the country are you in? Thought of a price yet, it should sell well

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Bike looks really nice mate. The tail section looks good on it. Hope you get a quick sale if you decide to let it go.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree your bike does look very good as it is 8)

Chris.