What haynes manual

General Bike chat
Neophear

What haynes manual

Post by Neophear »

Hi all!

Im looking to buy a Haynes Manual for my Firestorm. But I have encountered two that both looks like the correct one. Which one is it?
Found this on their own site:
https://haynes.com/en-gb/honda-vtr1000f ... air-manual

But I found this on a couple of other sites, including a danish one:
http://kosters.dk/Catalogue/HONDA-11660 ... stormSuper

Of course the one on Haynes' site is the correct one, but is the other one also the correct one, just with another front page?

Edit: My bike is from '97 as far as I know
MacV2

Re: What haynes manual

Post by MacV2 »

Either will do...Check on E-bay as they often come up cheaper than new, just might have some greasy fingerprits on...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Neophear

Post by Neophear »

Thanks for the tip :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just don't follow the Haynes manual if you're setting the valve timing for removing the CCT's (Cam Chan Tensioners),

Chris.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

The best manuals to get are the manufacturers manuals.

I just checked EBay there's 4 on there.

In my opinion and experience, Haynes manuals are barely worth the paper they are written on, the official Honda Workshop manuals ( and Harley Davidson ) I have are worth their weight in gold.

Seriously, just don't bother with Haynes or Clymer, Clymer are slightly better in my opinion than Haynes, but for the price go for the official Honda Workshop manual.

Just look up VTR1000 Firestorm workshop manual.
Neophear

Post by Neophear »

I was told that Haynes manuals are very good. But I will try to look up the workshop manual and see if it looks promising. Thanks!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

All you need is here.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025

Don't waste your time with Haynes unless you like stripping and replacing unnecessary parts or doing a total strip down (including engine) and rebuild as part of a project.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I have used Haynes for years and personally find them incredibly useful. It's a bit like using a satnav OR a map - both are aids to navigation so you can't always rely 100% on the one.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Ah the voice of good sense. +1 :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Kev L wrote:Ah the voice of good sense. +1 :thumbup:
Well thank you kind sir!

I bought a Haynes manual for the RT1200 and it is good - but used Youtube for some vids too.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you need one I have two I no longer need.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

tony.mon wrote:If you need one I have two I no longer need.
What, bikes? Too soon? :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:I have used Haynes for years and personally find them incredibly useful. It's a bit like using a satnav OR a map - both are aids to navigation so you can't always rely 100% on the one.
Well said that man :thumbup: Very well put Paul.
I have also found the photo's in the Haynes manuals very useful at times,

Chris.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Stratman wrote:I have used Haynes for years and personally find them incredibly useful. It's a bit like using a satnav OR a map - both are aids to navigation so you can't always rely 100% on the one.
Have you compared them to factory manual?, personally I after having had Haynes in the past for years I started buying the factory manuals when I bought my first Harley, which led to me looking at the factory manuals for my Honda's, I found the factory manuals far easier to navigate and much more informative, however usually three times the cost of a Haynes, in my opinion the factory manuals are far superior to the Clymer or Haynes manuals.

I ended up selling my collection of Haynes or giving them away to friends when they bought a particular bike.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Sorry if this appears :hijacked: :think:
StormingHonda wrote:I ended up selling my collection of Haynes, or giving them away to friends when they bought a particular bike.
I've got a shelf full of Haynes bike manuals. Some are for bikes I've never even owned, but saw the manual at a boot sale/autojumble/charity shop and grabbed it (Rarely pay more than £5 if it's a paper one, and £10 if it's a Hardback) - and I'm loathed to sell them. I did give one away to someone, but that was 'cos I had 3 copies of the same manual, and he got the middle condition one.

I shall pause here for a bit, whilst you guys recover from reading that a Scotsman actually gave something away....

Ok. Back to the Haynes shelf. I know some of them are worth decent money (really old ones) and I could do with the money, but again, I really don't want to sell them 'cos I've collected them for years. Another typical man thing: collecting stuff you'll never use, but will never part with. :roll: I reckon I shall ask that my coffin be lined with them, so I can take 'em with me. :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017