Moving on from the VTR....again!

General Bike chat
firestorm996

Moving on from the VTR....again!

Post by firestorm996 »

Picking an R1200GS up in around a week, so it's time to say goodbye to the VTR soon. I'll be giving it a once-over then off to the bay she goes. Aside from the starter connector corroding (easily sorted) she has been 100% reliable in almost 4 years of ownership and a trip around Europe. I fancied a change though, and have always wanted a GS. :)

I will have some bits for sale if anyone is interested. I have a Givi Monokey rack and top box, a Kriega R25 rucksack and am thinking about whether to sell the Blueflame carbon pipes separately and refit the standard pipes.

I will be sad to see the VTR go, but I can't afford to keep two bikes.

Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
AMCQ46

Re: Moving on from the VTR....again!

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nice one.

no more complaining about fuel tank range now, but you do know that you will have to get a flip lid and some textiles or the other GSers will not wave at you.
AMcQ
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Nice one.

no more complaining about fuel tank range now, but you do know that you will have to get a flip lid and some textiles or the other GSers will not wave at you.
I'm looking forward to the tank range, heated grips and general 'big dirt bike' feel that the GS has :)

Never been bothered about acceptance from others, just do your own thing and if someone doesn't nod they are clearly up their own backside and not worth worrying about :)

Planning a few short jaunts next year on it, up round the lakes over the Hardknott/Wrynose/Honister passes over a long weekend with some camping perhaps, and a slightly longer west highlands tour later in the year.

Then in 2018 I'm going to Norway on it. That trip is what got me thinking the VTR would not be up to it. 20 year old wiring would not be up to running heated grips/jacket and that's before the tank range comes into it.
Firestorm996
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that is a beast that is designed for kind of stuff you want to do, especially Norway.
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

in Sardinia there was a lot of GS boys out there and it showed that they can get a shift-on in that type of tight and twisty environment.

in fact we came across a group with lots of Ducatis and other big nakeds etc but being led by a bloke in full race leathers and a Lorenzo replica lid.... on a GS....... we came past as they were setting off and he left his group for dead and filled my mirrors for the next 10 miles. :D fecking impressive
AMcQ
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Yep, I think in real roads with the type of surface and bumps we're used to a GS can be as quick as most things out there if ridden well enough. To me it felt like a big supermoto, a style of bike which I connect well with and that gives me loads of confidence, that's the nearest thing I can compare it to. I only tend to ride brisk, not fast, so the performance is good enough for me right now.
Firestorm996
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I connect well with and that gives me loads of confidence
This IMO is one of the most important factors. So many of us ride on bikes that may give a bit of uncomfort and that nagging thought process is another added danger while riding.

Your right about the Storm electrics. At least with this you can happily run all the extra's you want including sat nav, grips, usb ports etc etc. Then there is the hard luggage...this will make all the difference on your travels. I bet there's a fair amount of storage under the seat too for a few tools and spare bulbs. I really like these bikes but I'm too short for one and it's most likely a little top heavy for my liking with that massive tank. The same with the Vara's.

You will save a fortune in the long run with fuel compared to the Storm. I was looking at alternative bikes recently and thinking more touring style. The VFR1200 are dropping in price now and bizarrely they don't look as ugly as I first though. It depends on the colour combination with the panels. Still a little out my price range so I can see myself ending up with a VRR 800 maybe even one of the later VTEC ones with ABS or I may go down the CB route especially after listening to all the reviews Paul and Bazza give them. I couldn't get rid of my Storm as it's got no real financial value It can go into retirement for the odd blasts on nice sunny days.
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

cybercarl wrote:
I connect well with and that gives me loads of confidence
This IMO is one of the most important factors. So many of us ride on bikes that may give a bit of uncomfort and that nagging thought process is another added danger while riding.
Yep. I tend to buzz around (cautiously) many of the smaller almost single-track lanes around our way and beyond, as there's almost never any other traffic and that suits me fine. These roads are narrow bumpy and unforgiving though, in some cases covered in cow sh&& too. I've got used to it but fact is the VTR suspension struggles, and the sort of tyres you get for VTRs do not cope well with such bumpy uneven surfaces. This is one area where the GS is completely at home and the confidence from it is reassuring.
cybercarl wrote:Your right about the Storm electrics. At least with this you can happily run all the extra's you want including sat nav, grips, usb ports etc etc. Then there is the hard luggage...this will make all the difference on your travels. I bet there's a fair amount of storage under the seat too for a few tools and spare bulbs. I really like these bikes but I'm too short for one and it's most likely a little top heavy for my liking with that massive tank. The same with the Vara's.
Yep, the GS has two DIN power sockets (one on the dash and one under your left leg) plus lots of mounting space in the dash area for GPS etc. I just think the VTR's electrics would fry, or it wouldn't charge the battery properly and I'd find out the next morning!
cybercarl wrote:You will save a fortune in the long run with fuel compared to the Storm. I was looking at alternative bikes recently and thinking more touring style. The VFR1200 are dropping in price now and bizarrely they don't look as ugly as I first though. It depends on the colour combination with the panels. Still a little out my price range so I can see myself ending up with a VRR 800 maybe even one of the later VTEC ones with ABS or I may go down the CB route especially after listening to all the reviews Paul and Bazza give them. I couldn't get rid of my Storm as it's got no real financial value It can go into retirement for the odd blasts on nice sunny days.
VFR1200 are a good looking bike, still got the smallish tank issue with them though and I will never understand why Honda decided to go with that. Believe it or not, I only saw one for the first time 'in the wild' last week. From a sales perspective they have to be a huge fail for Honda, surely? I have seen a few tidy VFR800s on the Bike Bay (Facebook page) for not much money. Great sounding bike and very capable. :wink:

Would love to keep the storm but seeing as I got a 4.2 supercharged V8 Jag a few months ago I am already pushing it with Mrs 996! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

•Edit•

Meant to say, yes there's loads of room for luggage on it. In fact it's a luggage junkie's paradise. Those panniers are the Vario models, so from how they are in the photos you can open the side panels, pull a huge lever down and they grow sideways by another 30-40%. The top box does the same but mine doesn't come with one, so I'll look out for one secondhand.

Aside from that, you can then strap a tent or more luggage across the pannier-seat-pannier area, and then there are numerous bags and pockets you can buy to go in just about every little space available. Plenty of farkles available basically.

Btw although they look a big bike they don't feel heavy when you're sat on one. It comes up off the side stand just as easily as the VTR and the low speed balance (walking pace) is better than the storm with flat bars.
Firestorm996
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I changed my TDM for a BMW R1200RT earlier this year and can report that they are very impressive machines and handles far better than they "should"! Still kept the Storm for honing though - had her for 16 years now and I couldn't let her go.

My little legs are far too short for the GS!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with the new bike Neil :thumbup:

Chris.
macdee

Post by macdee »

good bike and good luck
told you not to but oh no you knew better
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I have a BMW 1200rt for touring & rides out with the wife,I'm very impressed with the handling 2 up with full luggage, but I still have my black storm.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Thanks all :)

Just time for a change really, I love my VTR and wish I could afford to keep both, but wife/kids/v8...you know how it is. :biggrin :biggrin

Very impressed with the GS handling for what appears to be such a big bike.
Firestorm996
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm interested in a cheap touring bike. Not to replace the Storm. Just something with a comfy riding position and seat. And cheap, under £2500. Anyone have any ideas? Def not a BMW boxer though. I want something with a bit of crash resistance.

Suggestions welcomed.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

fj1100/1200.bullet proof and cheep :thumbup: