getting my back wheel back in ?

General Bike chat
lumpyv

getting my back wheel back in ?

Post by lumpyv »

hello peeps

I took my back wheel out yesterday to get a tyre changed. last time I did this I cant recall much grief getting the b8stard back in.

am I supposed to slide the caliper onto the subframe then get the wheel/disk into the caliper or vica versa? .

also do I have to release the hydraulic pressure to the rear brake to get the pads to open enough to get the disk in ??

im sure I had no problems like this before :(
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Re: getting my back wheel back in ?

Post by VTRDark »

Don't mess with the calliper apart from removing it off the mounting bracket, so 12 and 14 mm bolt. As for the bracket itself some like to to put it on first and fight getting the fat tyre over it without it falling off LOL and some like to pop it in place and slide it onto the swingarm through the wheel once they have the tyre past that mounting point. Don't forget your spacers and you will want to adjust your chain adjusters so they are all the way in.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i leave the caliper on the bracket but put a cable tie round it and the swingarm to hold it in place and the wheel slides in and the caliper and bracket stay put. just rem to cut the tiewrap when its done lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I do the same as carl, remove the caliper from the bracket, just hang it out of the way. still a bloody fiddly job tho, and easy to scratch your wheels if your not careful.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For the sake of two bolts it's a lot easier to remove the calliper. The way I do it I sit on the floor behind the bike. Position the chain adjutsers so they are all the way and in Slide the wheel in with both spacers in place and hook the chain back on, then wiggle the brake mounting bracket into place and prop the wheel up between my knees and slide the axle bolt through. Keep a hammer to hand to give axle bolt a tap through, then put the calliper back on. Easy on the Abba stand but not so easy with a paddock stand as you will have to sit on that. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I made a wooden platform of the correct height that I roll the rear wheel onto so it's at the right height and gives a free hand to align everything.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yup I've used bungees to suspend the wheel when refitting or best, similar to bazza, is a variable incline plank and a brick to manoeuvre the wheel to the correct height.

Either use a very large screwdriver between the pads to push the pistons back (just undo the screws holding the reservoir cover) or use a sperator clamp with a something to protect the caliper finish.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

If you want a hand I'm only down the road!!
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

bazza696 wrote:I made a wooden platform of the correct height that I roll the rear wheel onto so it's at the right height and gives a free hand to align everything.
that's a good idea mate....... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ratchet strap through the rear hangers & the wheel...Ratchet it up with a little bit of slack to line it all up. Before up to near correct height slide the calliper & mount onto the locator boss having opened up the pads before hand...I use a small wide cold chisel for this, kinder to the pads than a narow scrwdriver...

Then a little up n down, to & fro, pop the freshhly greased spindle back in. Top tip fit the spacers in with a generous splodge of grease to hold them in.

Simples...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And make life easy for yourself by buying a set of captive spacers.
That way they don't fall out as you get the thing nearly fitted.

http://WWW.captivespacers.com
Send them your old ones and they'll make you a set.
Probably free for the first ones, if you don;t need the old ones back.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

I uses a shovel.. flat end under the wheel, perfect shape to act like a see saw. Lean on the handle end and up goes the wheel, simples :P
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Hey lads thanks for all this good advice. Was going to have another go tonight but had to go and pick my son's car up from where he was working ( the plonker dropped a stone slab on his ankle ! ). Battle will recommence tomorrow evening. I was levering the wheel up with length of old skirting board but I like the sound strapping it up somehow !! Thanks again

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

And thanks for your offer of help jonesie

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lumpyv wrote:Hey lads thanks for all this good advice. Was going to have another go tonight but had to go and pick my son's car up from where he was working ( the plonker dropped a stone slab on his ankle ! ). Battle will recommence tomorrow evening. I was levering the wheel up with length of old skirting board but I like the sound strapping it up somehow !! Thanks again

perfect, bring the stone slab home and use it to set the wheel on :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: