Smokin'

General Bike chat
Dickiebig

Smokin'

Post by Dickiebig »

Hi guy's,
Really need a bit of advice here. Just back from an aborted run.

Stopped as the bike was running rough. Pulled in to a layby and lots of what appeared to be smoke coming out both exhausts.

Oil and water appear ok bike not running hot on temp gauge. It does seem to run reasonably at speed as I got it home but it runs rough at low speed and will not idle.

Any suggestions as to where to start. I'm thinking rings or valve guides.

History on the bike. I acquired it after a long period of idleness and have been gently using it but as I get braver have been winding it up a bit so suspect it didn't like that.

Oil, filter, plugs rad flushed and mccts changed by me when I got it.

Regards Richard.
Wicky

Re: Smokin'

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Cheers, Will do anybody have a kit that they would be willing to let me borrow. D
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

What colour is the smoke? You sure you didn't overfill oil? Could be valve stuck open, timing could be off. If its running crap and smoking I would say your plugs are probably coated in oil and its getting into the combustion chamber past piston rings being worn or valve seats need relapping/excess carbon build up or the timings off leaving the valve open.

If you have no oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil then shouldn't be anything major unless your hearing a lot of noise from the engine.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Hi all bit of an update.

Bike in garage, with a full tank of juice so thought I would get that out, lucky I have a syphon. So get most of it out and think I will try to start the bike.

It turns over, no nasty noises but refuses to start. It does smoke a lot bluey hazzy but also grey a well.

Oil level were it should be. Coolant on the lower level and rad full when opened. No oil seen in water or the other way round.

Not pulled plugs yet so will do that and report back.

Up till today it has run well and I let it warm up first before giving it any real juice.

Cheers Dude.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Blue or grey is oil burning. Rings/Valve Stem Seals/Valve seats
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

So if burning oil what would you guy's consider to be the best action to take, heads off first and go from there?

Would you still recommend a compression test as a base to start from. As I said the bike does not want to start now so would not be able to get up to temp.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Compression test will tell you what cylinder has the issue but wont diagnose what the issue is but will narrow it down to the cylinder. I always test compression cold.
A leak down test will tell you more specifically what the issue is.

Although a compression test, once you find which the problem cylinder is, take the valve cover off and turn the engine over with the tester still screwed in. If you have air coming from valve spring area then your valves aren't seating correctly, no air coming from there and its piston rings. If your not losing air at all then its valve stem seals
Last edited by VTR Phoenix on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdee

Post by macdee »

Richard wrote:So if burning oil what would you guy's consider to be the best action to take, heads off first and go from there?

Would you still recommend a compression test as a base to start from. As I said the bike does not want to start now so would not be able to get up to temp.
read plugs first and do a compression test try to find out if its in one or the other cylinder
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

OMG much easier to take a Birmingham screwdriver to it, but that won't solve the problem only make me feel better. :D
macdee

Post by macdee »

Richard wrote:OMG much easier to take a Birmingham screwdriver to it, but that won't solve the problem only make me feel better. :D
plugs plugs pull the plugs
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Right both plugs out. Both black wet and oily with the rear appearing wetter.

Pulled pulled and pulled, oh bugger only two where did the third pull come from. :D
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Now conduct the compression test, crank the engine 5 or 6 times and note the pressure on the gauge. Don't do anything for 30 seconds and keep an eye on the gauge. If the pressure drops significantly then there is a leak either rings/head gasket or valves. No leak and its oil stem seals. Same test for both cylinders
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Cheers guy's feeling much happier now I have some direction. Could I beg borrow steel a tester from anyone. Happy to collect if not too far.
This is not my main transport but my toy.

Cheers D.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Why are you?