What I did today!!

General Bike chat
VTRid3r

What I did today!!

Post by VTRid3r »

Today I have spent some time in the garage started cleaning Blu. Her rear caliper is nice and clean now. Just gt sort the tatty bolts out. Done what I could to the swing arm. (Look at the inside of it :) ). Degreased and cleaned up the rims. The rest of the bike had a quick go over including the engine as best I could with what cleaning stuff I had. Anyway, here's a few pics. Oh and I decided to spray the ground anchor I got given. Happy bunny!! :)

bald_pig

Re: What I did today!!

Post by bald_pig »

Looking good so far, good excuse for new bolts and brake lines now :thumbup:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Nice
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Your brake pin grub screw looks on the way out - think about replacing it before its cheesey flat head chews up...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401113803731? ... EBIDX%3AIT
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

Wicky wrote:Your brake pin grub screw looks on the way out - think about replacing it before its cheesey flat head chews up...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401113803731? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Yep it is. Soon as I find a nice shiny new one I shall take the mundane task of trying to uncease it and replce it. All bolt goin back on with copper slip so this don't happen again. Heartbreaking when the previous owner hasn't looked after it.

Oooops. Missed the link. Many thanks. Saves me searchin. :thumbup:
Last edited by VTRid3r on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

As a quick fix, take the bolts out & get the crud & rust off with a wire brush. I use a brass one that goes in a drill...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pc-BRASS-WIR ... 1904314640

Give each one a good going over.

They will rust up again unless you either use ACF-50 or laquer them over...I dont bother I just re clean them when I service the caliper...

Oh & get a braided rear line & new banjo...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nah it's not the not looking after, it's the Weather and shite quality bolts to begin with. No matter how much you clean a bike the bolts will still go all rusty. You need stainless steel or if you feeling rich then TI :biggrin Nice clean calliper though :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

MacV2 wrote:As a quick fix, take the bolts out & get the crud & rust off with a wire brush. I use a brass one that goes in a drill...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pc-BRASS-WIR ... 1904314640

Give each one a good going over.

They will rust up again unless you either use ACF-50 or laquer them over...I dont bother I just re clean them when I service the caliper...

Oh & get a braided rear line & new banjo...
Got the drill and brass wire brushes ready for tomorrow. May spray them the same blue as the above ground anchor. See how clean they come out with the brush first :)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

[youtube][/youtube]

:wink:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

cybercarl wrote:Nah it's not the not looking after, it's the Weather and shite quality bolts to begin with. No matter how much you clean a bike the bolts will still go all rusty. You need stainless steel or if you feeling rich then TI :biggrin Nice clean calliper though :thumbup:
Feeling rich? £22 for 2 bolts!! lol. The money grabbin robbers!! lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Ca ... SwAL9UgvZT
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They clean up OK with a wire brush but will rust just as fast if not faster. Paint will protect them or even paint without the colourant, more commonly known as lacquer/varnish. Blue will slow down the rusting tremendously. :lol:

Yep TI costs. :eek2
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

Wicky wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

:wink:
Haha awesome vid but I'm afraid I'd blow the garage or house up. Or worse. :crazy:
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

cybercarl wrote:They clean up OK with a wire brush but will rust just as fast if not faster. Paint will protect them or even paint without the colourant, more commonly known as lacquer/varnish. Blue will slow down the rusting tremendously. :lol:

Yep TI costs. :eek2
Blu with no rust. Gna be a major task. Big strip down. Not too much on her thank god, it's for that phosphurous stuff over the engine and forks etc.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good work, sorting the rust or replacing the bolts will be the finishing touches :thumbup:

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

never easy cleaning up oem bolts and fixings, I use a dremel. I have a complete spare rear caliper fully serviced and cleaned, every nut bolt and pin. even has some pads with life left in them, you could twist my arm and have it on the cheap if needs be.

oh and here's a pic of my current rear caliper, with all ti fixings, super shiny but not cheap :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!