Fuel tank hinge bush

General Bike chat
Troutman

Fuel tank hinge bush

Post by Troutman »

Just added a 6mm spacer to my rear shock and had to take the tank off to do so. Managed to sever my hand when pulling one of the two big pipes from the outlet.
Question is, when I went to put the tank back on there was only one rubber bush inserted in the tank pivot, I didn't notice when taking it off if there was another and can't find it anywhere.
Should there be 2 ( 1 on each side)?
popkat

Re: Fuel tank hinge bush

Post by popkat »

Yes 2 of them..

You don't need to take the tank off to add a spacer, undo the rear nut and bolt, slide it out, lift tank and move to the left a little and it will rest on the bracket that it bolts to at about middle of tank, it quite stable rested there and enough to undo the top shock clevis mount.

As you took the tank off have you put the vacuum pipe back on the correct spigot ?
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:Yes 2 of them..

You don't need to take the tank off to add a spacer, undo the rear nut and bolt, slide it out, lift tank and move to the left a little and it will rest on the bracket that it bolts to at about middle of tank, it quite stable rested there and enough to undo the top shock clevis mount.

As you took the tank off have you put the vacuum pipe back on the correct spigot ?

More importantly have you wiped the blood off ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Wiped the blood off everything, reconnected all the hoses, went and found some rubber hose and a rubber washer to re-create the lost one and there it was sitting on a shelf next to the bike! 8O
My daughter was helping me lift the tank off and must have picked it up and put it there..(I had asked her if she had seen it and even gave her a torch to look around the engine for it)..unbelievable!

I wanted to take the whole tank off as I hadn't done it before and wanted to check the air filter.
a mouse had been in the very front part where the air comes in as it had nibbled that light foam. Filter was really clean.
Removed the front spoiler thing around the oil filter, jacked it up slightly via the sump (plywood on jack)
slotted the piece in and lowered it down. Easy
Anyway all back together so off for a test ride..it does feel higher and more comfortable.