How much is it worth?

General Bike chat
spikenipple

How much is it worth?

Post by spikenipple »

Hi guys and girls,

I'm looking to sell my 2000 Firestorm with a few goodies on it.
At the moment the charging system is shagged and I haven't gotten around to sorting it out yet.

The bike has 47k miles on the clock, and MOT until mid-March next year.

Goodies:
Honda SP-1 front end
Goodridge braided hoses all round
Leo Vinci titanium hi-level cans with stainless link pipes
Billet levers
Dark double bubble screen
Brand new Yuasa battery
Meta alarm
Manual CCTs
Pipercross air filter
LED indicators & appropriate relay

Bad bits:
Charging system not working, new reg/rec purchased but not fitted and tested yet
Front wheel has some paint flaking
Paint is a little bit scruffy, although the seat panel is freshly painted.

Any indication of value in either unfixed or fixed condition?

(Belly pan is with the bike, just not fitted in this photo as I changed the oil and filter)
StuartWags

Re: How much is it worth?

Post by StuartWags »

As a non runner with non standard paint £500 - £600 ......many be a bit more .... the bling bits don't add much to the bike value. I recently paid £650+ for a non runner with custom paint, fireblade frontend, fancy shock, rear sets, etc etc.

But the bling bits on there own will fetch good money. There is probably £600 in the front end, front wheel, discs and cans etc alone. There's £300 plus in standard bits and body panels. But breaking will mean a lot of shizz and bits left over.

I would sell as a runner if the R and R works and expect £1000 to £1250.

Or fit used standard parts (£300 ish) expect about the same for the bike as a runner but have £600 of bits to sell (circ £1500 total). You would need to put a bit of time into this

Note this is purely my opinion, based on my experience and a quick look at the photo. And i don't do this for a profit either
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

It runs fine, just doesn't charge.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I agree with stuart, if the bike had standard paint and decals, it would be worth more, assuming the new r/r sorts out the charging issues, the bike will of course be worth more, but the mileage is against you.
as stuart said, swap out the decent parts for oem parts to maximise the value, a bit of graft involved tho, but the sp front end is worth good money, wheel alone is worth 150 to 200.
as it stands probably worth 1250 maybe more if you can find the right buyer, if you can get 1500 or more you've had a result.
glws dude.. :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

How come people shudder when they mention mileage? :Shrug:

47,000 miles for 15 years old is only about 3000 miles a year. The average mileage for a vehicle used to be 12,000.

Even if a 15 year old bike was ridden for just 7,000 miles a year, (still not a lot) the clocks would show at 105,000 miles. My current bike (the storm) has just gone over the 35,200 miles, and its V reg, 1999/2000 reg - so, is 15 years old. Will it be worth bugger all when I come to sell it with another 20 or 30 thousand on it?

47,000 is nowt for a modern motor these days. I visited to a bike shop a few weeks back, and they asked (for such a clean bike), what the mileage was? I told him, and he had the intake of breath through the teeth. WTF? Yet, they had a 2004 Blackbird there with just over 200,000 miles on it. Been all over Europe, full tour kit, and used as it was designed. And yet it sold in less than 2 weeks in the showroom.

I pay no attention to mileage on a vehicle. As long as it is mechanically sound, has been well looked after, and has a decent amount of service history with considerate and careful owners, then I'll take a punt.

On the other hand, you could get an older bike (say a 35 year old CB750), that has only 2000 genuine miles and one owner from new. But the bike could look like sh1t from not being looked after, and every one of those short miles thrashed by a d1ckhead of an owner.

Your bike (as it is colour wise, cans and front end) will appeal to a lot of folk, but it would have appealed to a lot more if in standard trim. Which it isn't, so there's no real point saying what it could have fetched!

Wash it, wax it, polish the alloy and get her looking as best as (time costs nothing, but pays dividends). Having a clean bike (and a running one) can raise the price to a more reasonable level.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Think it's because these engines are past there best @40k and it's only downhill from there unless it been well looked after
TheGingerBeardMan

lloydie wrote:Think it's because these engines are past there best @40k and it's only downhill from there unless it been well looked after
So, erm, do we ALL sell now whilst our mileages are mostly all under the 40k and we'll get decent money back?

Sell them quick before they start giving serious mechanical failings? (maybe they will collapse internally at 70,000 miles?) Has anyone got a storm with over 50,000 miles on it (not Kms!) Or, do we keep riding them, seeing how far they will go before giving up the ghost completely? Erm, or should I take it off the road and store it in the condition it is now, and hope I live another 20 years to get £2,500 for it on a good day. I don't think the Storm will be classed as highly collectable in 20 years time, despite the insurance company saying it's now 15 years old and can be classed as a "classic". :lol:

I'm torn with this bike. With all my other bikes in the past, I just ride, sell on, buy another different make, ride, sell, repeat.... I've never become sentimentally attached to a bike before...until this one. THIS bike has me not wanting to sell it. Not because it'll maybe be worth a bit more, (and I'm not going to live long enough to see the price go up by 30 or 40 quid).

I'm keeping it purely for the noise it makes, and the fun it gives. I've read all the horror stories of these motors and what can happen, and I HAVE been tempted to sell it before it disintegrates and is only worth 300 quid for a well kept exterior. I've seen loads of bikes I'd like to swap or p/ex for, more reliable modern tech, and bikes with warranties, but I keep backing out of the offers.

If I DID sell it or p/ex it, I know I would never think about buying another one later down the line. Once sold (or seen off to a good home), that's it: no more Firestorms. Sad, but true.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

My last engine gave up at 85k .
Burnt more oil than fuel but it had a mistreated life .
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

engine miles is always a lucky dip .... my concern is with a bike that has a respray, new front end and led indicators is ... that is hard to decided if it was modified by choice or due to the fact it has stuffed something good and proper. it is usually the later

i have seen vtr lumps with 38k and you can still see the honing marks but as lloyies comment it could be beasted
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote: So, erm, do we ALL sell now whilst our mileages are mostly all under the 40k and we'll get decent money back?
No, we ride them until they don't ride no more and get our monies worth :P
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sometimes they can go for a while if you look after them. as I have racked up a few miles :thumbup:

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

StuartWags wrote:engine miles is always a lucky dip .... my concern is with a bike that has a respray, new front end and led indicators is ... that is hard to decided if it was modified by choice or due to the fact it has stuffed something good and proper. it is usually the later

i have seen vtr lumps with 38k and you can still see the honing marks but as lloyies comment it could be beasted
I believe the previous owner changed the front end out of choice, not because he'd binned it. I bought it from a bloke on this very forum in August 2011 :)
TheGingerBeardMan

8541Hawk wrote:Sometimes they can go for a while if you look after them. as I have racked up a few miles :thumbup:
That's pretty impressive then for a firestorm. I assume it's Kilometres, being an American bike?

If it is kms, then that's still 62,137 miles! But, if it IS indeed miles, then that's bl00dy good for an engine made of cheese, rice paper, and candy floss.

Then again, with yer double nickel speed limit, nose to tail traffic, stop lights at every 200 yards, most Murcan bikes just get to slowly bimble their way up to high mileages, so your's should be good for another 100,000 before it starts ticking and clattering.... (*ducks behind desk, waiting for something heavy to be thrown)

:twisted: :lol: :lol:

I imported 2 high mileage bikes from Danielsville (Florida) donkeys years ago, (Yamaha Xv1100 Virago and an old GL1100 wing. The virago with 400,000 KMs (almost 250,000 miles), and the wing had 780,000 Kms wich is about 484,600 miles) Both pretty ratty looking and got em for dirt cheap, but mechanically sound!

Hopefully, these bike (as with all motors) if maintained and looked after, should have no problem keepin' on keepin' on. :thumbup:

TheGingerBeardMan

Shauned71 wrote:we ride them until they don't ride no more, and get our monies worth...
Yup - ride 'em till the wheels fall off!

Cos apparently, they're not gonna be worth tuppence in 5 years. So, punting them on then for a decent price is not gonna happen. S'going to be interesting seeing what the market value is in a year or two.

I say that if the bike is in standard trim, the owner has kept all the original parts (like cans etc) and is kept mechanically and cosmetically "nice", then the Firestorm can only become appreciated as a "limited run, not entirely successful production bike". A bit like the CX500s and other quirky bikes of days-gone-by. Shunned by many, loved by a few. And given 20 years later, CXs now change hands for silly money!

There's maybe hope for the Storm yet!

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

some of the biggest turds ever made are now fetching silly money. not that it matters for my storm as its being kept regardless whats its worth..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: