Flasher Relay

General Bike chat
carmanbikes

Flasher Relay

Post by carmanbikes »

Hi all, I purchased a flasher relay to slow the flash rate down as I have also fitted rear LED indicators, it just plugged straight in replacing the original flasher relay and all looked well and working fine with the ignition on indicators worked fine at a much better flash rate but I hadn't started the bike until yesterday and when the bike is running no indicators, turn bike off and just ignition on indicators work fine, So I replaced it with the original one they work with the engine running so it seems the replacement relay is at fault.
Has anyone bought a relay they can recommend I would prefer one that just plus in no cutting of wires' Here is a pic of the one I bought
MacV2

Re: Flasher Relay

Post by MacV2 »

J&S do one to fit works fine, There are however 2 for Honda's make sure you get the correct one for your plug...flat 3 pin not the square one.

I'll see if I have a link somewhere & post back in a mo...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

MacV2 wrote:J&S do one to fit works fine, There are however 2 for Honda's make sure you get the correct one for your plug...flat 3 pin not the square one.

I'll see if I have a link somewhere & post back in a mo...
Cheers Mac :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Here you go, this is similar to the one I've used in the past, shop around you may find cheaper...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400294511775? ... EBIDX%3AIT

:thumbup:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Just a question associated with this thread!!!

I am going to fit some of those mirrors with LED flashers built in, do you think I will need a different flasher unit??? The other indicators are oem
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I got a 3 pin led flasher relay, off ebay about 6 months ago, sorry cant supply a link
cost about 6 quid and works good, flash rate is standard !!
and front and back LED indicators weren't the same ratings either !!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:Here you go, this is similar to the one I've used in the past, shop around you may find cheaper...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400294511775? ... EBIDX%3AIT

That's the same type I used with no problems,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

BrianC wrote:Just a question associated with this thread!!!

I am going to fit some of those mirrors with LED flashers built in, do you think I will need a different flasher unit??? The other indicators are oem
If you have std indi's & add LED's you will need separate resistors fitted in line I believe.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:
BrianC wrote:Just a question associated with this thread!!!

If you have std indi's & add LED's you will need separate resistors fitted in line I believe.
Brian, I ran (for a while) rear LED rear indicators with standard bulb type front ones using the same type of flasher unit Mac posted a link for. You could either do that or fit separate resistors as Mac suggests, but I agree with Mac, I think you will need one or the other for the LED flashers built into the mirrors to operate at the correct speed,

Chris.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The arrangement I'm looking to use is to keep the stock standard indicators but on the front split off the feed and return, sort of 1 into 2, with one to existing indicator and the other to the led mirror.

So I'm guessing I need an in line resistor for each of the mirrors. Seen some on ebay but they have two live and two negatives going into the one resistor.

Looking forward to advice .....
hallie

Post by hallie »

I might have inline resistors in the mancave. Away from home atm will check at weekend
TIP; Never take a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night
http://morrisonbhp.net/
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I have some resistors knocking about, but likes been said already,
far easier to get all leds and an led flasher than mix and match,
I tried and failed with the resistors, got weird stuff happening, flash rate was not constant (perhaps my wiring, I don't know), but your welcome to mine if you want them,
I wont use them, if my flasher relay packs up, for 5 quid ill just get another !!
PM your address if you want em
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks kev - I already got some.