Advice on buying sp1 ???

General Bike chat
Damon777

Advice on buying sp1 ???

Post by Damon777 »

Hi, thinking about selling my firestorm and getting an sp1. Would go for the sp2 but can't stretch that far. Can not believe the price rise in the last few years of these bikes. Any advice on common faults or things to look out for ? Many thanks Damon
grumpyfrog

Re: Advice on buying sp1 ???

Post by grumpyfrog »

Go and take one for a test ride before you commit.
My brother had one and although he misses it like mad, the Storm is a far better day to day ride. Also very crippling to ride.

Saying that, I have tried to buy 1 on more than one occation, but never signed on the line.
A few on here have had/still have one so I am sure someone more qualified will be along to give you better pointers.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

As mentioned above, try one first, it might not be your cup of tea, I've got both a FireStorm and an SP2 :D don't be miss-lead, there is no similarity at all between the two apart from they are both 1000 V twins that's about it, they are two totally different bikes, but for anyone to help you need to tell us more of what you intend to do with it i.e. occasional rides out, commute, tour or track days etc. riding style, fast, average or plod along.
In my opinion the FireStorm is a fantastic usable fun bike, whereas the SPs are a lot harder to ride, you need to concentrate more, input more, absorb and take note of the feedback more, to give you some idea, I can ride my FireStorm and my FireBlade quite happily all day long, 10 to 12 hours plus, on the SP I'm mentally drained after 6 hours, don't get me wrong, they are fantastic bike, yes they may require more work but the reward is all worth the extra effort :D it's just not everyone cup of tea, and again in my opinion only, I think if you're tall, say over 5'-10" you may find it a bit uncomfortable.

FireStorm :D :D

SP :Shock1: :D
Last edited by cheekykev on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

A mate had one and second gear went shot kept on jumping out under acceleration don't know if it is a common problem but he did like the bike apart from that
Damon777

Post by Damon777 »

Thanks for feedback, have been told by a friend who had sp2 about how harsh the ride can be and how cramped he felt it although he is 6.1 and I am 5.7 . My use would be same as storm odd rides to work, some weekends, not fast but not plodding. Roads on Isle of Wight here are not great so won't be best bike for the island. Always been my dream bike but maybe it would be like meeting my hero ( which they say never do) . It's £5000 in silver on eBay , offered me 1750 for my bike. Need to give this more thought I think.... :crazy:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sp's hate bumpy
Roads and can quite a handful unless you do some suspension mods. I've never had a problem with feeling cramped so at 5'7 you shouldn't even feel it. Left hand rads can crack on the sp1 by the mounting bracket. If a bikes had a hard life ( tracked ) second gear can be a problem. Clutch judder on the 1 ( like the firestorm) is quite common but ( unlike the firestorm ) is easily cure able.
I'd have to agree the Storm is a better everyday bike but it's what floats your boat. Personally any discomforts or lumpiness is soon forgotten once you're out of town and when you get into a nice set of bends there's nothing to beat the feeling LOL
Maybe I'm biased but I love mine
Pete.l
And it's worth more now than what I paid for it;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Damon777 wrote:Thanks for feedback, have been told by a friend who had sp2 about how harsh the ride can be and how cramped he felt it although he is 6.1 and I am 5.7 . My use would be same as storm odd rides to work, some weekends, not fast but not plodding. Roads on Isle of Wight here are not great so won't be best bike for the island. Always been my dream bike but maybe it would be like meeting my hero ( which they say never do) . It's £5000 in silver on eBay , offered me 1750 for my bike. Need to give this more thought I think.... :crazy:
i went to the IOW last week on the bike, and loved the roads, i can't imagine a better bike than a Storm for blasting around those roads, i went from Yarmouth to Ventnor on twisty back roads and it was fantastic, An SP1/2 are better on flatter roads I've been told. If you want one fine, but i bet your as quick on the Storm anyway. Has your Storm got any suspension mods etc? maybe be better to get that done and be an Island demon :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Damon777

Post by Damon777 »

There seems to be a theme with the bumpy roads on th sp and most roads here are bumpy. Decided not to rush out and get the one on eBay at the moment. Stripped my termignoni cans now anyway to repack and paint up as I scratched one and fairing when I dropped the bike moving it :( :( :( Trying the expandable packing .
Also I think you found the only half decent road on the island :lol: yes ur right I should have improved the suspension when I overhauled the forks, maybe next job.

Cheers lads...