lloydie

Re: New bike - Moriwaki race vtr

Post by lloydie »

A big thank you for your time and knowledge
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Marty's Big Ears

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you know what they say, big ears and big feet= big shoes and a great place to hang your glasses on.... :wink:
heres a picture of the other side...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Hello All
I think Honda rushed this bike out to take sales off Ducati and then decided to take more time over developing the rc51.But whether by accident or not the Storm is as good and better in many ways.It,'s duel circuit oil system is preferable ,the diamond spar frame maybe more ridged and s/arm bolted through the motor more advanced.
There is very little advantage in either engine only what has been spent on the fuel system and cycle parts gives the rc51 the edge.I would like to have seen Honda take the Storm further and spend more money on it.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... -1454.html

The Super Hawk's project leader, Naoyuki Saito, stated Honda wanted to create a new type of twin-cylinder sports package that could rival the Ducati's level of performance while maintaining Japanese quality and practicality.

Our first impression was that the VTR seemed easier to ride fast than a 916, but soon realized this was not a race replica. Indeed, Honda claims the Super Hawk was never intended as a racing platform. Rather, they deemed it more of a real-world, all-around sporting motorcycle like Honda's own VFR750, but with the robust power delivery only a large displacement V-twin can provide.

Honda admitted to being caught off guard by Suzuki's introduction of their TL1000 90-degree V-twin, and were even more surprised by their rapid release of the bike to dealers. Honda quickly moved the Super Hawk's press launch up by several weeks, and production is set to hit dealers by April.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Are these areas in pink the areas that are reinforced?

and this the extra 3rd brace

MC Leather's frame from superhawk.com

Last edited by Wicky on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The ramair has caught my attention as I did not realise that the airbox was enclosed. I always thought that when the ramair was uses it was an open top airbox with pod filters. Does the airbox still require the snorkel at the front?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

cybercarl wrote:The ramair has caught my attention as I did not realise that the airbox was enclosed. I always thought that when the ramair was uses it was an open top airbox with pod filters. Does the airbox still require the snorkel at the front?

looks to me that the snorkel is removed and the air is taken from above
pictures by jeti
YETI

Post by YETI »

thats YETI.. me n cyberman seem to have
changed our names by deed poll :(

Yes the airbox is sealed .

jeti
sorry thats YETI..
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

PMSL :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Have you still got the boat moored up to you. :lol:

==============================Enter the Darkside
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I experimented with ram air in the sixties with a C15 ,boxes ,funnels , hover tubes and got totally laughed at.Back then I did not realise you needed to pressurise the float bowl from the highest pressure point of the air inlet.
Without this air blows fuel back down the main jets so it won't work.Some carbs do pressurise at the venturi mouth but it is still not enough. Use a simple manometer to find the best place to put a pressure pipe from the intake system to the float bowl.The forced air system needs to be sealed between the snorkel mouth and the carbs to get it to work.These things only really help at high speed but definitely improve power into head winds and a c15 did not have any.
Does any one have any pictures or knowledge on cranks used for racing?
Cheers
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Back in the day (when snowmobiles still used carbs, most are FI or DFI now), they used to vent the carbs directly in the airbox. This guarantees that the pressure remains equal at all times (since both are feeding from the same location)......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

bigspanishmarty wrote:hi roger
thanks for the info buddy.
i have a question about the frame on my bike, its one of the frames with the spondon ears, at the moment my bike is in bits about to be rebuit(again) i also have a couple of spare normal frames lying around, looking at a normal frame sitting next to the spondon modded frame and i can't see much of a difference, other than the ears. did you say you had some input into what spondon did to the frame or was that russell savoury's input before you joined the project?
i'll have another look at the frame tomorrow. i hope your enjoying your trip down under..... :thumbup:
The ears were a RS develeopment and were on the frames (5 frames) when I received them. There were originall y six bikes at Russells and one was for Alan Crashcart - sorry Cathcart but this was destroyed when he jumped off it while testing and unfortunately broke his hip or femur
Roger Ditchfield

Wicky wrote:Are these areas in pink the areas that are reinforced?

and this the extra 3rd brace

Exactly so. The headstock area is plated with heavier gauge plate than the rear side sections. the 3rd pillar is correct. It is important not to make a "V" twin too stiff because of the torque otherwise the handling goes to pot and all feel is lost. David Heal discovered this when he over stiffened the front end by using Paoli front end which is now owned by a contributor to this Forum? This front end is probably OK for street and occasional track use and not being ridden at the Level of DH AKA Healy Monster!
Roger Ditchfield

If the Moriwaki airbox is correctly install and sealed it should hold pressure of + 1 atmosphere at 110 MPH. This was discovered with pressure tests conducted at Snetterton.
The ram airbox kit is still available both in C/Fibre and FRP to special order. The front fairing is also available but you can modify the OEM fairing to suit. You also have to modify (cut, insert plate and re-weld) the fuel tank to allow access for the side tubes. This means that the tank needs to be repainted. All in all an expensive operation!